[1.8.1 - 1.12.2] KSP Interstellar Extended 1.29.5 Release Thread

FreeThinker

1 hour ago, RB101 said:

How do i make use of the green "universal drill"?

What do i pair it with to make it work?

The universal drill will mine any resource that shows up in the ground. You can see what resources are there by using the "Surface Scanning Module". One thing to note, you need a container for each resource you want to keep. 

In my experience, I have found its better to have dedicated mining chains, so a ore miner with the ore converter. Or a hydrates miner to a water converter. But I sometimes bring a universal miner on a big project to pick up minor amounts of resources that I am not worried about throughput.  

I should test this, but it feels like you get more output if you use a dedicated drill bit. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, given KSPIE is a rather heavy mod... (both content and system recourse wise)

Would it be possible to break it up into different "mod modules" so that users can pick and choose which parts they want more easily, without having to manually gut the KSP file system?

EDIT: I'm currently using the "Janitors closet" mod to try and clean my parts list, but i'm still finding the KSPIE/WarpPlugin are by far the two largest offenders when it comes to excessive parts lists

Edited by RB101

• 1 month later...

Hello, i dont seem to get the metallic hydrogen engines to work. Screenshot of my test stand is below.

i have an IFS Cryogenic Tank with liquid hydrogen, a pressurized metallic hydrogen fuselage and the GX-820 engine + probe core, power and a few solar panels.
In VAB and on the pad i see delta-V but the engine does nothing when activated and shows a third line "fuel amount ratio" with no value. First 2 Lines with Fuel Amount Ratio are both with 100%.

Prop Requirement Met is 0%

When i activate the engine and go to full throttle nothing happens.

Then i looked into the mhEngine.cfgs an could not find what else is required.

https://imgur.com/a/8IZtdyY

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

hi there, i found a proplem  which results in negative funds when recovering a vessel which uses  KSPI-E reactors (also KSPI-E Extension mod affected)

@Lisiasdid already some debuggung and ruled out Tweakscale. so here is the description on how to reproduce and lisias  outcome

------------

all logs data,ckan-file,craft  and images can be found here => https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am0PDmGqv17_iroEwGwOHWpKz7xcAw?e=6tgnlx

How to reproduce:

have a minimal install like the provided mod ckan modfile modpack-minimal.ckan (KSPI-E with its depenencies)

• open SPH
  • Load the Vessel "rbug[xxx] or create your own with  one of the Reactors e.g
    • Name: FURMagTar
    • Name: TweakableAntimatterReactor2
    • Name: FNFissionFusionCatReactorMk1
    • etc...
  • Proceed to runway
  • recover

results in negative refunds

only happens when the part is scaled

do the same with the craft "unscaled" no negative refunds happen

y4mGBeiTs9G7Hk56EXvdWKQiH0zdNT0IyiBwUpT4

Findings from @Lisias

i hope you can have a look into this.

1 hour ago, GoAHead said:

hi there, i found a proplem  which results in negative funds when recovering a vessel which uses  KSPI-E reactors (also KSPI-E Extension mod affected)

@Lisiasdid already some debuggung and ruled out Tweakscale. so here is the description on how to reproduce and lisias  outcome

TL;DR: reactors from Interstellar Technologies are being misrefunded, but reactors from KSPIE - at least the ones I used on my testings - weren't.

The affected PartModule is IntegratedThermalElectricPowerGenerator. Again, only the part configs from IT were triggering the problem on my tests, KSPIE parts using this PartModule didn't triggered the problem for me.

On one specific test (using the rbug.craft provided) reproduced the misbehaviour using Interstellar-Technologies-ICFSC-Reactor, but when I replaced it with kspiWarpCoreUnit2, the problem was gone for me.

2 minutes ago, GoAHead said:

@Lisiashave you scaled it down? cause it only happens when parts get scaled (i only tried it with  downscaling) and i tried it with the mentioned reactors in my recent post and got negative refunding

Yes. Up and down.

Humm… So you are telling me that the behaviour had changed? This is really uncomfortable. I'm redoing the tests tonight, I will edit this post with the results.

5 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Humm… So you are telling me that the behaviour had changed? This is really uncomfortable. I'm redoing the tests tonight, I will edit this post with the results.

i added some pics which  supports my claim :-). the thing is.. i didn't recognize it initially cause the negative value was so small..  until  36.000.000  was substracted from my funds after recovering a craft which uised an IT part . now i had time to have a look at other parts also  from the original mod and tadaa.. it seems to be a general KSPI-E thingy

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am0PDmGqv17_iros7xAjxSejfE3Wzg?e=yeYvkR

Edited by GoAHead
add some details

i added some pics which  supports my claim :-)

Make no mistake, I believe you. I had dealt with similar problems before - what makes me very uncomfortable is that a few of them just vanished from the surface of Kerbin, and I never diagnosed the problem neither understood how it happened.

This could be a race condition - but this is wild guessing right now. I'm rebuilding the test bed, I will come back to you soon.

— — POST EDIT — — 

I **confirm** that on my rig, KSPIE is not being affected by the but - or, at least, the part I used.

See https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSP-Recall/issues/60 for the details, screenshots and zip files.

@GoAHead, please try to use the same part I used ("Antimatter Catalyzed Fusion Reactor", the kspiWarpCoreUnit2 on WarpCoreUnit2.cfg.) and see what you get. I may be dismissed KSPIE too soon, but if by any reason the very same part that works for me () will bork on you, then we have an environmental problem - and this is going to hurt a bit to diagnose...

Edited by Lisias
POST EDIT. This is going to be interesting...

@Lisiasi can confirm the whole funds matches the expected value after recovery when using kspiWarpCoreUnit2

but where is this coming from ?y4m5-sSufHDsTPONjMMLAITE9kD-5-4kYsTKQt-U

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

Make no mistake, I believe you

you shouldn't have said that. i was incorrect with the refunding. i didn't had a look at the overall funds but focused my attention to this weird entry "+- xvalue" is this some correcting thingy from  recall?

2 minutes ago, GoAHead said:

@Lisiasi can confirm the whole funds matches the expected value after recovery when using kspiWarpCoreUnit2

but where is this coming from ?

Well… This is a collateral effect of Refunding (ab)using the Resources in order to correct the mistake Stock is doing while refunding your craft on recovery. The thing calculates how much you should be refunded, and then creates a "fake resource" that will add or subtract an amount of resources priced in a way that in the end you get the refunding you deserve. I had noticed that resources were being correctly handled by Stock, the sole problem is not calling the "IPartCostModifier" on recovery.

I had set the Refunding "meta-resource" to be invisible, but on recovery the game show it the same.

finally i found parts originating from KSPI-E which  also has refund issues

IXSMainHullReactor and MuonCatFusionReactor2

they both use the module  "InertialConfinementReactor"  same as the IT part Interstellar-Technologies-ICFSC-Reactor

maybe this helps. i have no clue..:lol:

@Lisias jfyi

finally i found parts originating from KSPI-E which  also has refund issues

IXSMainHullReactor and MuonCatFusionReactor2

they both use the module  "InertialConfinementReactor"  same as the IT part Interstellar-Technologies-ICFSC-Reactor

maybe this helps. i have no clue..:lol:

@Lisias jfyi

Dude, you nailed it! Thank you very much!

This is not a problem on KSPIE, IT or even Recall. This is happening because KSP uses floats for currency computing.

Lets handle this on Recall thread, as any mitigation measures will be implemented there.

My apologies to FreeThinger by polluting his thread, I genuinely though this could be something triggered by IT on one of your PartModules.

Edited by Lisias
Entertaining grammars made less entertaining.

• 4 weeks later...

I found myself overwhelmed with the choices when it came to beamed power, and struggling to figure out what antenna / wavelength etc to use for varying scenarios, so I threw together a quick spreadsheet to help with the calculations. 

Should be pretty self-explanatory, you can enter an SOI from Kerbin (e.g. Duna) or manually enter a distance and it'll show the spot sizes at various wavelengths. Enter your antenna aperture size and you can work out what size antenna you need at various wavelengths / distances.

Anyone is free to make a copy and use it yourself. 

Find it here (google sheets link)

Spoiler

yzxXJt4.png

• 1 month later...

Hi ! @FreeThinker

Would it be possible to consider making UI scaling available for the in-flight KSPIE info tabs ? they tend to take a lot of space, and could be downscaled for certain users, depending on their resolution.

Imho in would be a nice QOL feature, screen can be quite clogued up, if you have MJ, ker, etc etc.

Thanks in advance :) 

On 3/23/2023 at 5:40 PM, Kielm said:

I threw together a quick spreadsheet to help with the calculations

Thanks a lot for this work, and for sharing it! That's very useful, it should pe pinned somewhere in the first post of the thread maybe, so all users can enjoy it ;)

Peace

Edited by kurgut

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This mod is broken.

The nerva and other nuclear engines are worthless.

Take the NERVA and add a probe core, battery, and fl-800 tank with hydrogen and you get a rediculous and totally unusable 1200dv.  kerbal engineer says I get 1000 isp, and 1.58 twr yet it cannot lift itself off the launch pad.

The same configuration with an fl-800 with lfo and a swivel gets 3600 dv and twr of 3.6 with an isp of only 320s!  

How is this loveing possible? With 1000 isp the nerva should get at least 3 times the dv. As this is working now the nuclear engines in kspie are unusable.

So now I have yet another game I have played to year 8+ and have to start all over because I can't take kspie out of my build without killing half my ships and screwing the tech tree.  BTW the tutorials also suck ass!  I use the original version by I think it was fractal-something and it was great.  This version is total crap!

This mod is broken.

Take the NERVA and add a probe core, battery, and fl-800 tank with hydrogen and you get a rediculous and totally unusable 1200dv.  kerbal engineer says I get 1000 isp, and 1.58 twr yet it cannot lift itself off the launch pad.

The same configuration with an fl-800 with lfo and a swivel gets 3600 dv and twr of 3.6 with an isp of only 320s!  

How is this loveing possible? With 1000 isp the nerva should get at least 3 times the dv. As this is working now the nuclear engines in kspie are unusable.

So now I have yet another game I have played to year 8+ and have to start all over because I can't take kspie out of my build without killing half my ships and screwing the tech tree.  BTW the tutorials also suck ass!  I use the original version by I think it was fractal-uk and it was great.  This version is total crap!

This mod is broken.

Take the NERVA and add a probe core, battery, and fl-800 tank with hydrogen and you get a ridiculous and totally unusable 1200dv.  kerbal engineer says I get 1000 isp, and 1.58 twr yet it cannot lift itself off the launch pad.

So now I have yet another game I have played to year 8+ and have to start all over because I can't take kspie out of my build without killing half my ships and screwing the tech tree.  BTW the tutorials also suck ass!  I used the original version by I think was fractal-uk and it was great.  This version is total crap!