Patch 1.4.3 to be released next week!

UomoCapra

3 hours ago, Andrey.gr said:

Please unlock 30 FPS limit in settings, I want to run my video card as cool and silent as possible, I also can set it with FRAMERATE_LIMIT in settings.cfg, but it wipes off when I change something in game settings.

I'd like to be able to lock 30 fps too if possible.

On 4/12/2018 at 7:34 PM, UomoCapra said:

We fixed the reentry VFX being broken by parts which don’t have a scale of one. I imagine this is the issue you are referirng to, isn't it? 

What about the issue with the aero FX being butt ugly compared to prior versions of KSP?

14 hours ago, Andrey.gr said:

Please unlock 30 FPS limit in settings, I want to run my video card as cool and silent as possible, I also can set it with FRAMERATE_LIMIT in settings.cfg, but it wipes off when I change something in game settings.

Same issue for me.

My ratty old GTX570 can handle the load but the fans are running at full blow, making a noise similar to a fighter jet on the runway and risks toppling my computer ...

8 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

The most visible and obvious bug isn't being talked about right now.  Check back later.

Compared to more pressing issues like exploding landing legs also one of the least urgent ones.

11 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Compared to more pressing issues like exploding landing legs also one of the least urgent ones.

Oh, I have plenty to say on that one too.  For one of the main forms of gameplay (landing a spacecraft) to be broken on a release and stay broken for a month...

Honestly, think about how these past updates have looked to a random, casual player who doesn't go on forums.  Suddenly legs are exploding everywhere and re-entry effects are having a disco party!

23 minutes ago, BLN said:

I want to start playing again ! Can't do it with stupid fairings and legs

My strategy is to always be one major release behind. By the time all the bugs in 1.4.x are sorted (if the game engine problems ever are), 1.5 will be announced, complete with a new batch of bugs.

16 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

think about how these past updates have looked to a random, casual player who doesn't go on forums.

Like a low-budget indie game, still in early access.
I'd hoped this kind of thing would stop when KSP got the big 1.0. Then I hoped it'd stop when we hit the first major after that, thinking perhaps 1.0 was just a bit rushed. Then a big name, Take Two, bought the game and an expansion was announced... I hoped...

Maybe this is just what happens when you decide to build a game on top of a cheap-and-cheerful, perpetual-alpha, users-as-QA game engine.
Then again, other games built on Unity3D have got polish... many of them even have stable releases that don't add serious bugs.

Edited by steve_v

Hmm, will you also fix the absolutely unreasonable stats of the Wulfhound engine?

also the KE-1 engine is really beautiful, I find it pretty strange that it‘s being outperformed in every single way by the mainsail. It‘s even more expensive and in a higher tech level.

Edited by Human Person

6 hours ago, steve_v said:

My strategy is to always be one major release behind. By the time all the bugs in 1.4.x are sorted (if the game engine problems ever are), 1.5 will be announced, complete with a new batch of bugs.

I'd hoped this kind of thing would stop when KSP got the big 1.0. Then I hoped it'd stop when we hit the first major after that, thinking perhaps 1.0 was just a bit rushed. Then a big name, Take Two, bought the game and an expansion was announced... I hoped...

Maybe this is just what happens when you decide to build a game on top of a cheap-and-cheerful, perpetual-alpha, users-as-QA game engine.
Then again, other games built on Unity3D have got polish... many of them even have stable releases that don't add serious bugs.

Sorry, I have to defend Unity here. The bad reputation it has is mostly caused by the licensing terms, which make it an attractive choice for asset flips and other low-quality games. Furthermore it doesn't help Unity's reputation that the free version forces the "Made with Unity" display, while the paid version (used for professional games...) does not show it.

From my experience as a game developer and from what I've heard from my coworkers, Unity's quality is actually rather good when comparing it to other game engines...

Edited by soulsource

3 hours ago, steve_v said:

So true... so sad

Personally i think that the expansion was mostly old code/stuff waiting on the shelve, polished in short notice  after the decision to release an expansion came.

The  new toys we got are far less than most indie(solo) developers or some modders can create at the same time with the same amount of bugs.

I am not complaining, i bought it the second it was available, this game is like half my life.

Edited by Boyster

27 minutes ago, Bogey71 said:

Is there still a way to get a hold of 1.3.X somewhere? That was the last really reliable version so far....

Legacy versions are, and always have been, available on your login on the kerbal space program website, if that is where you purchased it. I'm fairly certain there is a way to force steam to give you legacy versions as well, but my steam-fu is not great. I prefer to manually install my mods, so having the game folder at easy access is far better than having it buried in my steam folder. I also don't like being surprised by updates.

May I ask though, do you have an quantifiers for your claim that 1.3.1 is more reliable?

9 minutes ago, Errol said:

Legacy versions are, and always have been, available on your login on the kerbal space program website, if that is where you purchased it. I'm fairly certain there is a way to force steam to give you legacy versions as well, but my steam-fu is not great. I prefer to manually install my mods, so having the game folder at easy access is far better than having it buried in my steam folder. I also don't like being surprised by updates.

May I ask though, do you have an quantifiers for your claim that 1.3.1 is more reliable?

From what I understand,  1.3.1 has a high reputation for being one of the best stable and bug free versions ksp has released.  So it's a very popular version for mods because of it.

And you know, crucial features like landing legs actually work and don't explode upon... landing.

37 minutes ago, Bogey71 said:

Is there still a way to get a hold of 1.3.X somewhere? That was the last really reliable version so far....

From steam, if that's where you're playing from, go to the game's properties - > betas, and select whichever ksp version you need. And yes, you can copy paste the steam version of ksp folder anywhere on your pc and rename it whatever you want. Ksp doesn't need steam running to launch the game. You can run it directly from the ksp 64 or 32 but exe.

9 minutes ago, Errol said:

Quantifiable? Not really, but the number of bugs, feel of the game I notice easily when I play? Sure. How about the ugly reentry effects, or the exploding landing legs, or the fact that 1.4 doesn't support directx 11 and has the weird diagonal line in graphics all the way from the top left corner to bottom right corner? These are just the very few that come to mind immediately. I haven't played 1.4.2 after the first time I did. I'm usually excited for software updates, even if it changes enough that I have to relearn it. But 1.4.x just made feel like going from windows 7 to 8. .. Ok that may be a bit exaggeration, but the point stands.

1 hour ago, Boyster said:

Personally i think that the expansion was mostly old code/stuff waiting on the shelve, polished in short notice  after the decision to release an expansion came.

The  new toys we got are far less than most indie(solo) developers or some modders can create at the same time with the same amount of bugs.

I am not complaining, i bought it the second it was available, this game is like half my life.

If you are only looking at MH as a parts pack I can see where you are coming from. I do however think the mission builder would have been the biggest development challenge of MH by far. The parts are just bonus that comes with MH. 

Edited by LoSBoL

36 minutes ago, Nataris said:

From what I understand,  1.3.1 has a high reputation for being one of the best stable and bug free versions ksp has released.  So it's a very popular version for mods because of it.

And you know, crucial features like landing legs actually work and don't explode upon... landing.

Not for me, on Linux. I didn't play 1.3.x AT ALL because it had a complete crash-to-desktop bug where the game would just "go away" and lots of bugs with rovers and wheels, and unflyable planes. Hell, I had a rover just plain VANISH on me once. I was going up a crater edge on the Mun, and it was just not there any more. Also, contracts were basically "put a satellite in orbit", "fly this tourist", and "test this part" - not once did I get a contract beyond Minmus. Plus existing missions were a waste... all my contracts were for new spacecraft.

So as far as I'm concerned, 1.3.x was trash.

1.4.x has completely reinvigorated my interest in KSP. I've played 7-8 hour marathon sessions with nary a crash, rovers aren't flipping spinning, exploding things, and planes are flyable with SAS again. I've also gotten contracts to Duna and Dres so far, as well as Sentinel telescope contracts, and contracts for Kerbals on EVA and existing probes which I never got before.

I love the new high-latitude launch site for the planning challenges it poses, and I have no graphics issues on Linux. Re-entry effects look fine to me, and I've not had a single landing leg explode.