Patch 1.4.3 to be released next week!

UomoCapra

13 minutes ago, GeneCash said:

Not for me, on Linux. I didn't play 1.3.x AT ALL because it had a complete crash-to-desktop bug where the game would just "go away" and lots of bugs with rovers and wheels, and unflyable planes. Hell, I had a rover just plain VANISH on me once. I was going up a crater edge on the Mun, and it was just not there any more. Also, contracts were basically "put a satellite in orbit", "fly this tourist", and "test this part" - not once did I get a contract beyond Minmus. Plus existing missions were a waste... all my contracts were for new spacecraft.

So as far as I'm concerned, 1.3.x was trash.

1.4.x has completely reinvigorated my interest in KSP. I've played 7-8 hour marathon sessions with nary a crash, rovers aren't flipping spinning, exploding things, and planes are flyable with SAS again. I've also gotten contracts to Duna and Dres so far, as well as Sentinel telescope contracts, and contracts for Kerbals on EVA and existing probes which I never got before.

I love the new high-latitude launch site for the planning challenges it poses, and I have no graphics issues on Linux. Re-entry effects look fine to me, and I've not had a single landing leg explode.

Fair enough.  But I would go out on a limb and say that's a minority account.  For most, 1.4 has been problematic, from CTD to drag inducing fairings, eternally bouncing rovers, exploding legs etc.

Using Linux also changes this discussion a bit.  

Ultimately, the proof is in the pudding.  There is a reason 1.3 had 1 hot fix and 1.4 is about to have its 3rd with a possible 4th down the line. 

Amazing isn't it, KSP players will happily spend months and years in transit to other planets, but ask them to wait a week for an update and patience get kicked out of the solar system :D.

Yes I'm eagerly waiting, and checking 'Announcements' too.

We want the update when promised, but we also want it to be good.  Despite what was said, if they need to take another week, let it take another week.   Friday (if it happens tomorrow.. and 'today' isn't over yet) isn't the best day to release an update, b/c most staff is generally gone for the weekend & can't respond to an unexpected crisis. (Hopefully there won't be one.)

Software isnt an exact science, if it isnt here tomorrow, its not going to kill me. Got plenty to be doing as it is. More than I have time for. Not only other games and sims, but RC flight and a brand new fishing license to wear out. If Spring ever actually gets here. Apparently the weather isnt an exact science either. :wink: lol

19 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Amazing isn't it, KSP players will happily spend months and years in transit to other planets, but ask them to wait a week for an update and patience get kicked out of the solar system :D.

If only you could set Human Alarm Clock to the launch window and time warp to it  :D

As @basic.syntax said above.

Better it be later than we would like and done well than rushed out to keep the 'next week' promise.

That said, I dont think they would have made the announcement if they were not confident.  They could have just said 'working on it, bear with us while we get it right' and left it at that for now.

1 hour ago, LoSBoL said:

If you are only looking at MH as a parts pack I can see where you are coming from. I do however think the mission builder would have been the biggest development challenge of MH by far. The parts are just bonus that comes with MH. 

Mission builder should be integrated with the main save file, or at least give us the option to have it there.

The fact that it isnt, thats my opinion, means most likely it was an old project that was rushed to just be there and not really achieve its original design.

Hopefully it'll come tomorrow but I doubt it.  It's pretty clear they were confidant of a Monday or Tuesday release this week but found one or more horrendous bugs over the weekend that delayed the patch.  I'm assuming the bugs were incredibly awful because minor bugs shouldn't have delayed them fixing the terrible fairing problem or the game breaking and embarrassingly bad landing leg issue.  I don't use any mods or alter game .cfg files so the landing leg issue has broken a large part of the game for me.

Edited by PaloLV

1 hour ago, pandaman said:

Demand for an update is proportional to the magnitude of the bugs. 

Re-entry effects look like trash? No big. 

Legs exploding, off-center engines, fairing drag... The game is IMO unplayable at present as a result - my boss likes that I've been more productive as late, but not having ksp as a distraction while the weather keeps me indoors has become tiring. For now I've been playing with airplanes instead, but I'd rather get back to finalizing my autonomous ISRU nacelles... which use landing legs. 

Spoiler

kQ0IaLK.png

3 hours ago, Errol said:

May I ask though, do you have an quantifiers for your claim that 1.3.1 is more reliable?

I just switched back to using my 1.3.1 backup copy after my getting fed up with 1.4+ yesterday.  First thing I noticed was a faster load time despite having 2 or 3 more mods in 1.3.1 than 1.4.1, plus at least 50 mod parts that I deleted in 1.4.1 that are still in 1.3.1.  I haven't timed the difference, but it was quite noticeable - I went to shower while it was loading & it was done before I was.  In 1.4.1 I usually have time to enjoy a cup of coffee after the shower before playing.  Then the normal reentry graphics & working payload fairings are a big plus.

4 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

I just switched back to using my 1.3.1 backup copy after my getting fed up with 1.4+ yesterday.  First thing I noticed was a faster load time despite having 2 or 3 more mods in 1.3.1 than 1.4.1, plus at least 50 mod parts that I deleted in 1.4.1 that are still in 1.3.1.  I haven't timed the difference, but it was quite noticeable - I went to shower while it was loading & it was done before I was.  In 1.4.1 I usually have time to enjoy a cup of coffee after the shower before playing.  Then the normal reentry graphics & working payload fairings are a big plus.

Does the expansion work with 1.3?

2 minutes ago, Boyster said:

Does the expansion work with 1.3?

No, that requires 1.4+    I play career 99% of the time, so didn't bother me.  The only thing I've used mission builder for was to spawn a plane on Eve to test fly it there and another time to test an amphibious spaceplane on Laythe.

3 hours ago, Errol said:

I prefer to manually install my mods, so having the game folder at easy access is far better than having it buried in my steam folder. 

FYI, it's very easy to navigate to your installation folder - which you can do from the right-click menu in Steam(*) - then access and "pin" your GameData folder to the Windows File Explorer sidebar, or create a desktop shortcut to your GameData folder if you prefer.

(*) From your Steam library, right-click the game, select "Properties." From the window that opens, click the Local Files tab and select "Browse Local Files" from there.

3 hours ago, pandaman said:

You try telling Valentina that "upper management" has delayed kolonization efforts for another week...  The woman's got a passion for space travel and she won't listen to reason!

:D

27 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

FYI, it's very easy to navigate to your installation folder - which you can do from the right-click menu in Steam(*) - then access and "pin" your GameData folder to the Windows File Explorer sidebar, or create a desktop shortcut to your GameData folder if you prefer.

(*) From your Steam library, right-click the game, select "Properties." From the window that opens, click the Local Files tab and select "Browse Local Files" from there.

Yes, it is easy enough to find the game folder in Steam. Though my main use for that is to copy it to a separate folder (I put mine in a \Games folder, but whereever you like) so that all my mods won't immediately break every time there is an update. Yes, I know I can turn steam auto-update off, but I prefer to leave it on so that I can have an auto-updated copy in steam and a separate copy elsewhere. I play using the separate copy, which gets recopied once I am happy with the status of any updated one (including the mods I use).

36 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

Like I said, I prefer to manual install mods, and have my folder handy, not buried away

4 minutes ago, Errol said:

Like I said, I prefer to manual install mods, and have my folder handy, not buried away

How exactly is having the folder pinned right the File Explorer sidebar or a shortcut to it on your Desktop "buried away?" 

I understand people making copies of the entire installation for fear of updates and whatnot, but as to the original point (e.g., "handy") what's handier than that?

6 minutes ago, Errol said:

Sry to be mean but the guy just told you to make a shortcut...i mean cmon if you are not trolling then i dont know what to say.