Patch 1.4.3 to be released next week!

UomoCapra

20 hours ago, Starwaster said:

What about the issue with the aero FX being butt ugly compared to prior versions of KSP?

I'm hoping that the cause was the same "shader interaction with part scale bug" which was affecting the re-entry shader, so it's also been fixed?

Unfortunately I can see #18095, #18094 and #18303 are all on zero% (although 94/95 are pretty sparse reports, so not entirely surprised about those two) which is a bit concerning

49 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

How exactly is having the folder pinned right the File Explorer sidebar or a shortcut to it on your Desktop "buried away?" 

I understand people making copies of the entire installation for fear of updates and whatnot, but as to the original point (e.g., "handy") what's handier than that?

Ah, sorry, I missed the part about short cut. To be honest that isn't much better, I don't like having my install subject to surprise mod breaking updates, and I have several installs I use. One for testing/tweaking, the other for my career. Again, just having all that, plus all my mod zips, all located in one place, is better than a bunch of links and other client control. 

6 hours ago, GeneCash said:

Not for me, on Linux. I didn't play 1.3.x AT ALL because it had a complete crash-to-desktop bug where the game would just "go away" and lots of bugs with rovers and wheels, and unflyable planes. Hell, I had a rover just plain VANISH on me once. I was going up a crater edge on the Mun, and it was just not there any more. Also, contracts were basically "put a satellite in orbit", "fly this tourist", and "test this part" - not once did I get a contract beyond Minmus. Plus existing missions were a waste... all my contracts were for new spacecraft.

So as far as I'm concerned, 1.3.x was trash.

1.4.x has completely reinvigorated my interest in KSP. I've played 7-8 hour marathon sessions with nary a crash, rovers aren't flipping spinning, exploding things, and planes are flyable with SAS again. I've also gotten contracts to Duna and Dres so far, as well as Sentinel telescope contracts, and contracts for Kerbals on EVA and existing probes which I never got before.

I love the new high-latitude launch site for the planning challenges it poses, and I have no graphics issues on Linux. Re-entry effects look fine to me, and I've not had a single landing leg explode.

What version of 1.3x did you use? 1.3.0 had problems under Linux 1.3.1 was almost rock solid for me? It still had the bouncy landing gear but there was a mod to fix that and it was not nearly as bad as the exploding gear and fairings in 1.4X up. And no offence but if you think the re-entry effects look OK then it has been awhile since you played.:huh: Glad it's working for you though. :cool:

On 4/17/2018 at 2:59 PM, Azimech said:

Hey Squad, a bit late but thanks for the new separators!

So how is the frame rate hit with those ? If you made one long chain from those and scaled it down small? HMM might make a good EVA tether if it's not a big physics hit? Will this work with saves? or will the game break the rings on save as separate parts?

14 hours ago, soulsource said:

The bad reputation it has is mostly caused by the licensing terms, which make it an attractive choice for asset flips and other low-quality games.

I'll take your word on that, as I don't have enough personal experience with it to say otherwise. My information here is mostly second-hand, and probably coloured by those low-quality games.

Edited by steve_v

12 hours ago, GeneCash said:

Not for me, on Linux.

1.3.1 runs fine (for KSP) here, both on Debian and Gentoo. It does still crash occasionally, but nothing like what we had with 1.1.x. My input devices all work fine, planes and rovers work fine (FAR, no comment on stock aero), and I have never seen any of the contract issues you mention, in any version since career was introduced. I have 2 sentinel contracts and "explore duna" active right now.

1.4.2, on the other hand, makes my joystick a paperweight, adds unsightly overlapping part icons in the VAB and hideous, framerate tanking aero / reentry effects, and it causes landing legs to spontaneously explode. Thankfully I won't ever see the fairing drag bugs, because FAR.

So far it appears to crash about as often as 1.3.1, which is to say not very.

Edited by steve_v

Hello? Does the KSP have official road map or wish list? I am interested in the most or will be added life supporting systems, your engineering version or a science alert. Do you have any new planets in your plans?

37 minutes ago, Zxy44 said:

Hello? Does the KSP have official road map or wish list? I am interested in the most or will be added life supporting systems, your engineering version or a science alert. Do you have any new planets in your plans?

Hi. They don't typically release a roadmap. Making History was a bit of an exception because they were trickling out info for over a year, but that hasn't been the case for most other changes.

If you're playing on a computer (versus a console) you can use mods to cover all of that. If you're on a console...not so much.

7 minutes ago, Errol said:

This has been a problem for years. 

True, however they are now 1000% more hideous and cause obviously buggy rendering behaviour into the bargain.

1 hour ago, xxXHonestJohnXxx said:

It seems no update this week. Why not bugfixes and additional content in seperate updates. This feels such a gathering of hobby programmers working on a project above their league.

The additional content must be a form of compensation for the game breaking bugs that were introduced in 1.4.2 .

At the moment the are certain bugs in 1.4.2 that simply should not be there at this stage in development. I would be quite happy for a KSP 1.5 Final with no game breakable bugs and maybe very minor fixes, then perhaps Squad could concentrate purely on DLC content......I would just like to drop a lander on minmus (for example) without having to remember to save the game before landing just in case the landing legs explode or disappear as happened last night. It just feels as if we are back at the 1.0 release at the moment.

Not a complaint here just an observation.  But it seems adding more content to this patch wasn't such a great idea.  Stability and bugs should be the focus imo.

This is starting to feel like an early MMO trying to gain new players with content the. Fixing the game for those that already play.  

Here is too hoping 1.4.3 will be the last patch needed to fix 1.4. 

I think I'm going to settle down with this version to start my long term kolonization play thru.   Waiting for new versions just isn't worth it.

1.4 seems to have  better performance for my crappy laptop so I really wanted this version.

Godspeed devs!

32 minutes ago, BLN said:

Please Rockstar just start working on KSP 2 with experienced developers and an appropriate new engine.

And what would that engine be exactly? If wishes were horses, beggars would ride...

2 hours ago, BLN said:

Please Rockstar just start working on KSP 2 with experienced developers and an appropriate new engine.

I wish people would stop talking about KSP2 like it's a thing, the devs have said that they have no plans for a sequel.  Do you really want some other team to take this over?

I would like to see the majority of people that made ksp to continue on expansions.

This game has so much potential.

But if there is a need to advertise a new game to improve the sales and keep the money go around then i hope this team is the one to develop it.

Edited by Boyster

Any project/team is only as good as its weakest link, I think there may be some weak links. Sorry if it sounds harsh but its business, and opinions are sometimes harsh when money has exchanged hands especially when the for what ever reason the project seems to be going backwards, If I ran my business like this I simply wouldn't have one. Granted I'm not a software developer I'm a photographer, imagine I handed over prints that were blurry or the composition wasn't as promised. How many of you would pay me? Software development is no different when it comes to what the customer was promised or expects ( a playable game) when a game is out of beta stage, in this case its bugs that should not be in the game and offered for purchase. I love KSP, I love the whole KSP concept, but business is business that's the truth. As Squad is or was a marketing company they should understand this.

Please don't take this the wrong way this isn't an attack on the individuals that develop KSP its just an observation. Once a reputation is lost its gone and I would hate Squad and KSP to loose that reputation based on bad management. Anyway the sun is shining....live long and prosper.