Patch 1.4.3 to be released next week!

UomoCapra

44 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

I wish people would stop talking about KSP2 like it's a thing, the devs have said that they have no plans for a sequel.  Do you really want some other team to take this over?

Agreed 100%! There's so much headroom left in the current KSP and so much mod support. The risk with releasing a new version is splitting the customer and modder base.

Also, people complained a LOT about having to pay $15 for a DLC. I can't imagine the screaming that would take place if Squad released the AAA title people are asking for and charged AAA prices for it.

KSP Weekly: The Lunar Greenhouse

This week we’ve been working hard on the 1.4.3 patch. During the last phases of the testing process an unexpected issue cropped up with the desert and mobile launchpads. This issue turned out to be more difficult to solve than we expected, so we made the decision of holding back the patch’s release until next week. The good news is that we are already working on a fix and we are confident that the patch will provide a higher quality experience for all players. Click here to learn a bit about the content of patch 1.4.3.

Edited by Atroner

15 minutes ago, Atroner said:

KSP Weekly: The Lunar Greenhouse

This week we’ve been working hard on the 1.4.3 patch. During the last phases of the testing process an unexpected issue cropped up with the desert and mobile launchpads. This issue turned out to be more difficult to solve than we expected, so we made the decision of holding back the patch’s release until next week. The good news is that we are already working on a fix and we are confident that the patch will provide a higher quality experience for all players. Click here to learn a bit about the content of patch 1.4.3.

That's why you seperate bugfixes from content upgrades. Perhaps it's time Squad for you 2 reconsider your workflow instead of excuses and smalltalk about 'Yes it sucks guys we had technical difficulties but wait your gaming experience will be so much better after the next update'

Edited by xxXHonestJohnXxx
Forgot a quotation mark!!!

1 hour ago, Capt. Hunt said:

I wish people would stop talking about KSP2 like it's a thing, the devs have said that they have no plans for a sequel.  Do you really want some other team to take this over?

KSP2 is almost a guarantee.

...and I wouldn't mind some other team having a crack at it.

30 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Also, people complained a LOT about having to pay $15 for a DLC.

I don't think the complaining was about paying for the DLC. It is that the DLC feels far too underwhelming for the price tag put on it. As I had commented in the 1.4.1 discussion thread (the patch with which MH came), in my currency, the DLC is priced at about 52% the price of the game KSP. The contents of the DLC definitely don't feel like I'm getting almost half of the game.

I don't see why people would complain about AAA pricing if the quality of the released title is also AAA.

7 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

KSP2 is almost a guarantee.

...and I wouldn't mind some other team having a crack at it.

Do you have a source for this? I'm curious.

If you wonder why squad usually doesn´t provide release dates... this thread might be a good indicator.

Hey dev´s, take the time you need. There are still lots of people out here who appreciate your work.

16 minutes ago, scimas said:

I don't think the complaining was about paying for the DLC. It is that the DLC feels far too underwhelming for the price tag put on it. As I had commented in the 1.4.1 discussion thread (the patch with which MH came), in my currency, the DLC is priced at about 52% the price of the game KSP. The contents of the DLC definitely don't feel like I'm getting almost half of the game.

Since MH was announced over a year ago there have been daily rants on multiple threads about having to pay anything for it and demanding free copies. My point is simply that releasing a 2.0 and doubling the price is going to sure to create a lot grousing.

Ultimately I'm not sure they even need it. Most of the improvements people want from the "engine" seem to be related to graphics quality. I believe that Unity offers lots of tools to improve graphics. I think the issue is more about keeping a reasonable set of computer spec requirements. Also a texture pass of all the old parts to bring them up to MH standards would be awesome. All of this can be accomplished in the current framework, so why change the engine?

6 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Ultimately I'm not sure they even need it. Most of the improvements people want from the "engine" seem to be related to graphics quality. I believe that Unity offers lots of tools to improve graphics. I think the issue is more about keeping a reasonable set of computer spec requirements. Also a texture pass of all the old parts to bring them up to MH standards would be awesome. All of this can be accomplished in the current framework, so why change the engine?

I have no comments about a KSP 2. I'm happy to have the current bugs fixed, how that is managed is upto the devs. And I don't have any significant programming / arts development experience to argue about whether a different engine is needed or not. I was just saying that pricing shouldn't be an issue, provided the quality is as expected, if an overhauled 2.0 was to be released.

3 hours ago, Tarheel1999 said:

And what would that engine be exactly?

I'm not a developper but Rockstar has the money and knowledge on which would suit best or even develop an engine for the game.

1 hour ago, Capt. Hunt said:

KSP 2 will certainly be a thing one day knowing the success of the first one, and not necessarily by Squad, they can sell rights you know. Oh yes I do, I love the game and the spirit Squad put in it, the humor, the different ideas, but you have to recognize that the game is far from being the best technically speaking. A game like this should run easily on almost any computer but it's far from being the case, and even with good computers you can't achieve a good 60fps with graphic mods like EVE and scatterer. And if you think that another team taking over for KSP2 is a stupid idea, then just look how many of the original developers from Squad are still working on the game... 
I just love the game and I thank every developer who had worked on it but to improve the game (or in this case a new game based on the first one) sometimes you need new teams, new developers, new ideas, new engines, new budgets. Now RockStar is here and they can provide this. Just imagine a triple-A KSP, wouldn't it be awesome ?

1 minute ago, BLN said:

KSP 2 will certainly be a thing one day knowing the success of the first one, and not necessarily by Squad, they can sell rights you know.

They already sold the rights to 2K  :D

5 minutes ago, Tyko said:

They already sold the rights to 2K  :D

That's exactly why I mentioned RockStar :) . Squad is still working on the game because it is the original team but it's not meant to be forever IMO, especially on a hypothetical KSP 2

32 minutes ago, Tyko said:

KSP drags too much baggage from the early days when Harvester started a 2.5d orbital simultator. It's not just graphics, which can be sensibly improved, as mods like KS3P, Scatterer and Textures Unlimited show. It loads everything into system ram at the beginning, doesn't use minimaps, lacks significant information like a dV readout (aka: "this is the range of your ships"), it's certainly not a space program simulator and has failed to create a well thought non-sandbox experience (ie, a good career system). On top, it drags bugs which keep resurfacing, like all the issues with wheels which have now reappeared in 1.4.2.

And if they were to solve all those issues, I've already paid the game. They wouldn't be getting new money from me.

So why not start over, with AAA level graphics and a way to load assets that allow such graphics; with fresh ideas about how to achieve the same results in less cpu intensive ways (like, for instance, not running full physics calculations for a static base), how to develop a proper career; decide whether it's simulator, manager or both and sell this not as free content but as "You trusted us with your money once, do it again!"

On 4/19/2018 at 12:01 PM, soulsource said:

Sorry, I have to defend Unity here. The bad reputation it has is mostly caused by the licensing terms, which make it an attractive choice for asset flips and other low-quality games. Furthermore it doesn't help Unity's reputation that the free version forces the "Made with Unity" display, while the paid version (used for professional games...) does not show it.

From my experience as a game developer and from what I've heard from my coworkers, Unity's quality is actually rather good when comparing it to other game engines...

When I bought KSP it was already several years old. I was shocked to see how low quality and unfinished it was. It was no longer beta. It has not received much polish since then. If it wasn't for the cheap price and for the mods I would have refunded the game.

1 hour ago, scimas said:

I don't see why people would complain about AAA pricing if the quality of the released title is also AAA.

What will come out first: KSP2 or HL3?

On 4/19/2018 at 2:23 PM, pandaman said:

Amazing isn't it, KSP players will happily spend months and years in transit to other planets, but ask them to wait a week for an update and patience get kicked out of the solar system :D.

Yes I'm eagerly waiting, and checking 'Announcements' too.

We need us some real life timewarp....

Oh oh I have an Idea! We could sleep until the update... quick call the dev of the Deep Freeze Cryogenics Mod 

Just now, Delay said:

Physics timewarp please.I don't want to fall through Earth and then explode when the warp ends.

Yeahh that could be bad... We would also need to fix the lag issue... Not interested in lagging inside of a wall.

Not gonna lie, finding out that the delay for a bug patch that is to fix massive issues with the game (boarder line game breaking) is being held up by bugged additional added content, is beyond frustrating as a consumer.

Squad, straight talk here, this is not a viable buisness workflow.  In my humble opinion, having the excuse here being because of the added content, leaves an extremely sour taste in my mouth. 

Priorities need to be changed a bit if fixing serious flaws isn't paramount over added content.

1 hour ago, scimas said:

Take Two buying the KSP IP.  Anyone who thinks they only bought it for the long tail of KSP1 and some DLC is crazy.

1 hour ago, BLN said:

they can sell rights you know.

Already sold it to Take Two.  Squad is now only contracted to work on KSP.  They don't own it.  Any further details are unknown to us.