Patch 1.4.3 to be released next week!

UomoCapra

On 5/13/2018 at 5:38 AM, John FX said:

Reading the last few pages makes me content that I now post a lot less here than I used to.

This place used to be people who wanted the game to be as good as it could be, who gladly helped people, and who saw the futility of arguing minor points back and forth until one party just gets fed up of doing so.

Now, every comment which could be pounced upon, is pounced upon and the poster subjected to an endless stream of arguing the toss over minor points.

I am sure this comment will suffer the same fate but I will not be checking to find out. Trolls will get no joy here.

Please do not quote from this post, and do not @ mention me, I would rather nobody replied and I will not reply if you quote this post or mention me.

I now dread the notification popup, I used to enjoy seeing it.

EDIT : Please stop 'reacting' to this post, I really really do not want to see my notification light any more.

These types of posts are always hilarious.

"I'm going to say what I want to say, but no one else has a right to comment on it! Please let me be the only one who gets to say anything! And since I don't know how to set up my profile so that it doesn't ping me, everybody else should agree to my wishes!"

I've been on the internet since before it was even called the internet (hello, all you ARPAnet veterans), and this same stuff was happening even before Tim B-L invented the Web. Go back and read old usenet threads and you'll see it there -- "when I was a newbie this place seemed great, but now all these new newbies have ruined it."

Here's the super-secret way to not be annoyed by posts on the web: Don't read them.

Super-secret tip number two: If you want a thread to die, don't post to it. Especially don't post to it saying "I want this thread to die."

Edited by mikegarrison

2 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

These types of posts are always hilarious.

"I'm going to say what I want to say, but no one else has a right to comment on it! Please let me be the only one who gets to say anything! And since I don't know how to set up my profile so that it doesn't ping me, everybody else should agree to my wishes!"

I've been on the internet since before it was even called the internet (hello, all you ARPAnet veterans), and this same stuff was happening even before Tim B-L invented the Web. Go back and read old usenet threads and you'll see it there -- "when I was a newbie this place seemed great, but now all these new newbies have ruined it."

Here's the super-secret way to not be annoyed by posts on the web: Don't read them.

Super-secret tip number two: If you want a thread to die, don't post to it. Especially don't post to it saying "I want this thread to die."

just stop. please.

13 minutes ago, John FX said:

just stop. please.

Ref back to "secret tip #2"

Since it is considered bad form for people to respond to their own posts, if you want to get a conversation to stop, just don't post anything. Conversation dies.

Edited by mikegarrison

19 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

(hello, all you ARPAnet veterans)

BITNET user here. I remember using an IRC equivalent over a IBM 3270 terminal (gorgeous, I would buy one for me if I found one around). Late adopter, however - I used this in 1990 or 1991, I think. :-)

Edited by Lisias

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

BITNET user here. I remember using an IRC equivalent over a IBM 3270 terminal (gorgeous, I would buy one for me if I found one around). Late adopter, however - I used this in 1990 or 1991, I think. :-)

I was an undergrad at MIT in the mid- and late-80s, when MIT was rolling out its Project Athena campus-wide computer network. Email, IM, x-windows, networked printing, etc. etc. It was like going back into the dark ages when I left there and went to work in the real world.

On 5/17/2018 at 6:15 PM, mikegarrison said:

Ref back to "secret tip #2"

Since it is considered bad form for people to respond to their own posts, if you want to get a conversation to stop, just don't post anything. Conversation dies.

That might be true, but be friendly about it.

Also, whats going on with @mikegarrison? everyone is all over him! is he a staff or something?