[1.9.1+] OPT Legacy 3.1.2 | Reconfig 3.4 [Apr 20, 2021]

JadeOfMaar

On 4/16/2019 at 3:27 AM, memeconnoiseur said:

Where do i find the OPT main pack?

I thought the main pack wasn't compatible with the current KSP version

OPT Main is here on forum and on SpaceDock.

It's still compatible in that it still simply works as it's just a parts pack. There's no plugin and no advanced part feature that requires a plugin in order to still work.

Big update is nearly here. This highlight is balanced RCS and new RCS plumes for everything. This turned out to be the easiest or quickest part though it's nearly the last thing I started.

o3WinMn.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

OPT Reconfig 1.5.0

• Added 1 deg of gimbal to Dark Drive.
  • Found/added B9 mesh switch in OPT 'Stail' Class to 2.5m Adapter.

Big Balance Pass

• Raised heat resistance in J "heat resistant" nose and Mk2 nose.
  • Buffed most tank volumes (as measured with stock fuel tanks and WBI Mule MLM. They now largely hold 2x the usual amounts and have comparable dry/wet ratios to stock tanks. This will upset, though not break, many craft). OPT is also now much more usable with Nertea's CryoTanks and CryoEngines.
  • Cockpits now hold much less fuel. They were excessive.
  • All RCS performance balanced and now use Plume Party "Soyuz" RCS FX.
  • K Tricoupler no longer holds fuel.
  • Nerfed tankage in all inline RCS and aeroydynamic RCS clusters. They were quite excessive.

WBI integration

• Update the template decal links following WBI decal revamp for KSP 1.7.
    • Added decal for SAS/Gyro template.
  • OPT Reconfig will appear in play mode switcher UI.
  • Fusion Power Spheres can switch input resources via WBI.
  • Added cryo fuel options.
  • Added Casa/Ponderosa templates to the following parts: J Cabin, Humpback Cabin.
  • Added OmniShop and OmniWorks to the following parts. The use of tanks for this are a take on the "wet workshop" concept:
    • Avater cockpit adapter and Avatar tank
    • K 6m tank
    • J cabin and J 4m tank
    • Stail 4m tank
    • H inline tanks
    • Humpback cabin

OPT Legacy 1.3.1

• Prune the lurking Firespitter modules from part configs.
  • Reduce cooling requirements in Power Spheres and replace degeneration mechanism's converter module with RTG module. The always-on converter, though it should not use core heat, was somehow a magnet for the timewarp heat bug.
  • Nerfed tankage in all inline RCS and aerodynamic RCS clusters. They were quite excessive.
  • All RCS performance balanced and now use Plume Party "Soyuz" RCS FX.

DOWNLOAD - OPT Reconfig

DOWNLOAD - OPT Legacy

Edited by JadeOfMaar

So I just came back to Kerbal.  I've always loved OPT.

So in the past I did the main parts pack, and legacy.

Is this mod the newest version of the main parts pack?  It looks like this is a newer version?

If I download this do I have to use those life support mods mentioned in the description?

Essentially I am starting a new play through and I wanted to try out interstellar extended.  In my past play throughs as I reach the top of the science tree I tend to putter out.  So extending the tree so far gives me a lot more to do.  I've reached the part where I'm at SSTO Tech and in the past I've used OPT and a few others, but I remember how overpowered the engines were.  I see you re-balanced some? 

I was also thinking of adding B9 (not the HX part.  Too op).

So what would your advice be knowing what my goal is, and is this the right mod, or do I need to follow your link to the original main parts list?

Thanks for all your work on this, and you've been kind enough to help me in the past with advice so thanks for that too!!

@flyguybc I'm sure Jade will chime in soon, but Reconfig is just a bunch of configs and patches... *NO* parts at all... it just updates and balances the two parts packs (Legacy & Main) to better match current KSP, and to offer support and integration for quite a few other mods.

OPT Legacy *needs* OPT Reconfig... I *think* its optional with OPT Main?

And my two cents on OPT and KSPIE being used together: *HERESY* :P

I'm not sure if they are comparable, but I know Jade just added some fancy reactor engines or something for OPT... and I'm sure OPT should play nice with any of the Near Future or other mods of Nertea's.
Also IMHO, I think OPT and any of Angel-125's WildBlue Industries suite of mods should make for a nice comprehensive play-thru ... I know Jade did a *TON* of work getting them to work together well. (Hence, a good part of what is in OPT Reconfig.)

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, flyguybc said:

So I just came back to Kerbal.  I've always loved OPT.

OPT Reconfig is not a parts mod. It's a utility mod. Its purpose is to make OPT main pack's engines not insanely OP, or harder to use to justify being OP, or to buff them where they're actually sorely under-powered (see J aerospike having too little thrust, and ARI-75 doesn't have a quick response mode for use in vacuum). It also supplies many config-level fixes and re-tunes (therefore the name) such as making the parts less draggy and more compatible with popular gameplay mods in their current states, and it moves some engines around to make them appropriately harder to reach in the tech tree, even adding a tech node beyond AerospaceTech in stock and Experimental Aircraft Engines in CTT.

You're not going to be forced to use USI, WBI or Near Future mods. Support for them will simply be there and well-done if you choose to use them.

Support for KSPI-E is not provided (never was my kind of mod) but through the B9PS integration provided by Reconfig it's easy for you to add tank types for whatever fancy propellant you want (meanwhile a Firespitter config is utter mess). With Pathfinder by Angel-125 in Classic Stock mode, you can use WBI OmniStorage to instantly be able to select and store nearly anything at all in an OPT tank-- store several resources even, like Configurable Containers or Modular Fuel Tanks will allow you to, and do much more with OPT crewed parts.

OPT Legacy recently added two fusion reactors (by default they burn "Dark Goo" and XenonGas) and "WarpJet" engines which burn atmosphere and EC so you'd be delighted and invited to tune those to use whatever KSPI ambient gas resource makes you happy.

• OPT Main does not need OPT Reconfig, but OPT Reconfig is highly recommended if you want that "does it work in latest KSP?" feel.
  • OPT Legacy does need OPT Reconfig. Much of the MM config stuff between OPT and OPT Legacy are unified in Reconfig so it's redundant to keep them in OPT Legacy.

@Stone Blue hi :3

B9 HX is not so OP in my opinion. Parts are incredibly massive, yes, and its reactor could be tuned to not operate as a mega-OP RTG, but its one engine part is balanced for a past era and isn't great at all in vacuum as it ought to be. I've talked to people, I've seen people, who tweakscale other engines to meet their dV needs with HX, or, granted that HX is a sci-fi inspired mod, they end up building so big just to have the immeasurable fuel fraction they need to burn and waste just to get into orbit. Then they build a second ship nearly as big to refuel in orbit, then they're not going to get far at all because the main engine's Isp isn't far from that of any stock engine. That's very much not a pleasant train of thought for me.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Thank you both for your response and inputs?

Stone why would you consider it heresy? Just wanting your perspective. 

Jade thanks so much man! I now understand my choices. Sounds like recon is a good choice if I go OPt. I think the only reason I went legacy back in the day is there was a cockpit with a built in docking port in it. Has that made it to OPT main?

Thanks again gents!!

48 minutes ago, flyguybc said:

Jade thanks so much man! I now understand my choices. Sounds like recon is a good choice if I go OPt. I think the only reason I went legacy back in the day is there was a cockpit with a built in docking port in it. Has that made it to OPT main?

You're welcome. :D I dug around once for that cockpit but didn't see it. It was removed because once you controlled from its docking port you couldn't change back to control from prograde with it. That's a death sentence if you don't have a big and/or visible probe core in the same spaceplane. Now that you can have multiple control points in a part (stock feature) it could be worthwhile for that cockpit to return. (But I'm not promising I'll dig for it again.)

On 4/26/2019 at 12:31 AM, Catatau_27 said:

Well i made this craft:  Avalon jB8FKPq.png

Now... I'd suggest you post any craft pics in the OPT Showroom thread, linked in my signature.

But I'm glad you posted here. I remembered that the Avatar short adapter was always an absolute nightmare to use. So I just fixed that! The source of its nightmare was horrendous drag cube settings in the Avatar hollow fuselage and cargo bay. :)

They're also going to be internally renamed and soft-deprecated. They'll still exist and be select-able, but not with obsolete, mis-matched internal names and file names. The only thing that will break is their Tweakscale config (if that exists... because I don't control it).

fJzgFxZ.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I'm hoping I'm in the right place. I am trying to find an intake. Is it from this mod? I've only found 2 images of it and no one yet has identified where its from. Hoping someone here can help me.

Spoiler

t8zL5cI.png

Edited by Svm420

I'm new to OPT, just started using it a while ago, and I can say that I love the mod. However, I've got a question: Are the IVA's on cockpits/labs/etc supposed to either be unfinished or nonexistent? Just very curious, and wondering if one of my other mods conflicts with it.

2 minutes ago, JammedDiskDrive said:

Are the IVA's on cockpits/labs/etc supposed to either be unfinished or nonexistent?

Sadly, the way you met it is the way it is, since the original modder disappeared. There are no interactions or conflicts involved.

9 hours ago, captinjoehenry said:

@JadeOfMaar Just so you know the OPT radiators do not work if KSPIE is installed due to the change in the thermal system.  A patch should be fairly simple to make and I could see about doing one if you want.

Heh. Game of Thermodynamics. I'll host the config but I won't be the one to create it. KSPI is too complicated for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found something weird with my OPT install (and reconfig, of course); all the wings are missing. Well, not ALL, I do have these 'OPT Legacy' wings but there's only four of them, with integrated control surfaces. Not the separate ones. I've looked all through the tech tree, and they're simply not there. Before I go trying to see if there's a mod conflict, did they get removed or something, and I missed it? This is a career mode game. Not showing up in sandbox mode, either.

Edit: Okay, the wings are missing from my install too. Just those OPT legacy ones in the 'Wings' directory of the parts in my OPT Legacy install. Did CKAN mess things up, or something? Or are they gone?

Edit2: I have the OPT Legacy and OPT Reconfig from CKAN. When I look at the OPT main thread, the download is different (more parts, including said missing wings). I'm a bit confused. I thought I understood how these all related to each other, but now I'm not so sure. Do I need OPT instead of OPT Legacy? In addition? What's the difference?

Edited by AmpCat

5 hours ago, AmpCat said:

Edit2: I have the OPT Legacy and OPT Reconfig from CKAN. When I look at the OPT main thread, the download is different (more parts, including said missing wings). I'm a bit confused. I thought I understood how these all related to each other, but now I'm not so sure. Do I need OPT instead of OPT Legacy? In addition? What's the difference?

OPT Legacy was the first "iteration" of the OPT mod. It used to basically be called just OPT... But then the original mod dev, decided to trim the mod, retire all those trimmed parts, and basically revamped what was left along with making  a whole bunch of new parts.

The retired parts were released as a *seperate* mod, OPT Legacy...
So now, there are three, seperate, OPT mods: OPT Legacy, OPT Reconfig (required for OPT Legacy; optional with OPT)... and just OPT, loosely referred to as "OPT Main" ...

OPT and OPT Legacy are standalone mods.

Edited by Stone Blue

12 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

OPT Legacy was the first "iteration" of the OPT mod. It used to basically be called just OPT... But then the original mod dev, decided to trim the mod, retire all those trimmed parts, and basically revamped what was left along with making  a whole bunch of new parts.

The retired parts were released as a *seperate* mod, OPT Legacy...
So now, there are three, seperate, OPT mods: OPT Legacy, OPT Reconfig (required for OPT Legacy; optional with OPT)... and just OPT, loosely referred to as "OPT Main" ...

OPT and OPT Legacy are standalone mods.

So.. OPT and OPT Reconfig are all I need if I want all the most recent parts7. Or all three?

55 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

So.. OPT and OPT Reconfig are all I need if I want all the most recent parts7. Or all three?

Its not so much "recent" vs "old" ... While most share the same profiles and aesthetics (even many of the textures are the same), for some reason KYeon decided to deprecate some parts, and not others, and to also make new parts (that are in OPT Main)... there may be functional and stat differences between similar Main and Legacy parts...
I guess it comes down to, how many moar parts do you want in your install, and editor parts lists :D

Edited by Stone Blue

51 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

You'll want all three.

• OPT Main because the parts there are what everyone expects in the first place when they think of OPT.
  • OPT Legacy for all the extra, mostly retired stuff.
  • OPT Reconfig because it contains all the MM patches that make OPT Legacy work, and make OPT Main work better.

OPT Main is generally what you want. OPT Legacy is optional. OPT Reconfig is optional for Main but required for Legacy. That's the relationship.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.