[1.9.1+] OPT Legacy 3.1.2 | Reconfig 3.4 [Apr 20, 2021]

JadeOfMaar

13 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@KIMCHI I generally avoid any dealing with crewed parts for a few small reasons so I can't promise a K cabin or science lab. OPT has primarily leaned on the Kerbal Foundries set of airplane wheels, but something unique to OPT would be very nice. I can promise a tall nose wheel like what Skylon needs, but not as part of the coming release, and until I finish that one wheel, I can't promise a whole set of them.

Thats excellent. The biggest complaint I have had with KSP is there isn't enough tall steerable nose wheels. I've been using your OPT stuff with back in black and did some updates to make missing parts work. I love the black look with OPT its so sleek.

@JadeOfMaar Can I bother you with one more question. I have IFS and I would love to be able to add two add on resources to my tanks (Dark Goo and Hyper Plutonium). How would I go about adding these resources so I can switch them in my tanks. I have the Resource Definitions for the resources I am just not sure how IFS works with modding the tanks.

Thanks again!

12 minutes ago, KIMCHI said:

I have IFS and I would love to be able to add two add on resources to my tanks (Dark Goo and Hyper Plutonium).

I don't support IFS. And Dark Goo is supposed to be non-transferable. It may only be held by a part that has built-in capability to generate it or contain something viciously reactive like Antimatter. So only a fusion reactor, magnetic confinement engine, or actual antimatter tank...

An IFS tank config should typically look like this. Semicolon-delimited arrays, no semi-colon at the end of the strings.

MODULE
{
	name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
	tankSwitchNames = #LOC_IFS_LqdAmmonia_Abbreviation;#LOC_IFS_LqdCO2_Abbreviation;#LOC_IFS_LqdCO_Abbreviation
	resourceGui = #LOC_IFS_LqdAmmonia_GUIName;#LOC_IFS_LqdCO2_GUIName;#LOC_IFS_LqdCO_GUIName
	resourceNames = LqdAmmonia;LqdCO2;LqdCO
	resourceAmounts = 8000;8000;8000
	basePartMass = 0.033
	massExponent = 2.75
	baseResourceMassDivider = 50
	displayCurrentTankCost = true
	hasGUI = true
	availableInFlight = true
	availableInEditor = true
	showInfo = true
}

// stripped localization stuff. The actual LOC values will be different
MODULE
{
	name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
	tankSwitchNames = NH3;LCO2;LCO
	resourceGui = Liquid Ammonia;Liquid CO2; Liquid CO // idk if spaces are allowed. I guess they are.
	resourceNames = LqdAmmonia;LqdCO2;LqdCO
	resourceAmounts = 8000;8000;8000
	basePartMass = 0.033
	massExponent = 2.75
	baseResourceMassDivider = 50
	displayCurrentTankCost = true
	hasGUI = true
	availableInFlight = true
	availableInEditor = true
	showInfo = true
}

This should be enough for you to get going.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@JadeOfMaar These OPT Legacy parts are really nice, but I have one suggestion. I don't know if this has already been talked about before, but this:

fAvPIXc.png

You can see that the OPT Legacy parts and the OPT Main parts have different color schemes. I like yours better, because it looks more like stock, but it's still different from OPT Main. Just... this really annoys me. Is this on the roadmap, or is their a mm patch you could release? Thanks for responding.

@Misguided_Kerbal Sorry. I can't take credit for any textures except for parts that I've made from scratch (so far, just the power spheres and the Nebula Shock intake. Anything else right now is cloned stuff).

If you're asking me to re-texture the Legacy parts, then sorry again. I don't have any desire to do that. These have existed since KSP 0.90 and older, where stock had a very strong contrast of white and black. The majority of these parts, the Stail and Avatar bodies, are obsolete and replaced by Main's parts.

If you're asking me to re-texture Main's parts then absolutely no. Remember that "stock" is a hodge podge of work from various artists, and that the gray of Main's parts happen to fit well with stock's Mk3. Stock is more than just the Mk2 parts and the wing boards. But I understand that the Mk2 parts palette is most highly preferred.

*I must make note that the lighting in my SPH and VAB is different because reasons, so the difference between the cockpits isn't so clear.

If stock truly held to one palette, one set of texturing standards (as Restock does) then I'd entertain requests to re-texture OPT.

Jwu2f0T.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Misguided_Kerbal Sorry. I can't take credit for any textures except for parts that I've made from scratch (so far, just the power spheres and the Nebula Shock intake. Anything else right now is cloned stuff).

If you're asking me to re-texture the Legacy parts, then sorry again. I don't have any desire to do that. These have existed since KSP 0.90 and older, where stock had a very strong contrast of white and black. The majority of these parts, the Stail and Avatar bodies, are obsolete and replaced by Main's parts.

If you're asking me to re-texture Main's parts then absolutely no. Remember that "stock" is a hodge podge of work from various artists, and that the gray of Main's parts happen to fit well with stock's Mk3. Stock is more than just the Mk2 parts and the wing boards. But I understand that the Mk2 parts palette is most highly preferred.

*I must make note that the lighting in my SPH and VAB is different because reasons, so the difference between the cockpits isn't so clear.

If stock truly held to one palette, one set of texturing standards (as Restock does) then I'd entertain requests to re-texture OPT.

Jwu2f0T.jpg

Ok, that makes sense to me. I do think that enough people here use restock though, but that's your own choice.

1 hour ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Ok, that makes sense to me. I do think that enough people here use restock though, but that's your own choice.

Note that Restock tried to base their standards on the Mk2/3 parts in the first place, so if these are working to match that, then they'll be fairly close as well.

So, I'm a bit at a loss. What OPT pack do I run with the reconfig? As in what are the benefits of main vs legacy. I dont want both, because of the parts bloat and the duplication, but the 2 packs seem to be missing essential parts. Main lacks air brakes, dual mode Mk2 engine, hunchback cockpit. Legacy lacks many of the more refined cargo bay options and seems unbalanced. Also, Where are the new parts JadeofMaar is making going to go?

At the end of the day, I want the Mk2 dual mode engine, J-aerospike and the new stuff coming soon, and the most up to date hull options. Is that all going to be in one pack, or will I have to frankenstein main and legacy to achieve this?

@Gryphorim Reconfig is an accessory and is optional to OPT Main... but is mandatory for Legacy. The easy answer is to install both/all but go into Legacy and delete the folders for the Stail and Avatar bodies. They are redundant and antique next to Main's J and K. (Amusingly, I forget to do this for myself.) Humpback is obsolete next to Main's combined KH body, and you can save on RAM and performance by deleting this too, but I personally like the curves of Humpback more than of KH. Once Stail and Avatar are out, you're left with only the unique parts: the wings, engines, power sources, airbrakes and the 2.5m intake nacelle.

Everything I'm adding will appear in Legacy. The Main pack will remain in a frozen state...most likely indefinitely.

Spoiler

I'll post updates to Main if someone comes along who can rip the cargo bays and preserve or remake their UV maps so that I only have to focus on replacing their colliders and reanimating them to fix the 1km spawn bug. UV unwrapping is a lot of trouble for me because I don't know Blender.

Seeing pictures of a VTOL craft that @Gameslinx will soon use in his YouTube series I was implicitly reminded to make an LF-only (nuclear-ish) option for the LP-R engine. The first, the LFO is subtitled "Prominence." This one, the LP-R 02, is subtitled "Irradiance." I might paint it differently to stand out more.

* Test craft also features a new OPT winglet.

cQRqSZ0.jpg

aMuyJ2L.jpg4Q7hLr6.jpgTdAwA0F.jpgZjGnUM0.jpg

Also, it's time the Humpback FVT got its own profile page. Uniquely painted to fully appear flush when mounted to Humpback body. Unfortunately it gets aero shielded and the intake module stops. I'm afraid to try to do anything about that.

* Test craft also features a new OPT main wing.

pdTfJve.jpg

FGYUJkf.jpg3BI4KOt.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

On 5/23/2020 at 10:50 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

install both/all but go into Legacy and delete the folders for the Stail and Avatar bodies. They are redundant and antique next to Main's J and K. (Amusingly, I forget to do this for myself.) Humpback is obsolete next to Main's combined KH body, and you can save on RAM and performance by deleting this too, but I personally like the curves of Humpback more than of KH. Once Stail and Avatar are out, you're left with only the unique parts: the wings, engines, power sources, airbrakes and the 2.5m intake nacelle.

Everything I'm adding will appear in Legacy. The Main pack will remain in a frozen state...most likely indefinitely.

Why are the Stail and Avatar obsolete?  I keep hearing that, but their size and stats are different (and in the case of Stail cargo bays- substantially superior.  Many of the other cargo bays weigh too much for the usable volume they provide) and in FAR at least the different shape should give different aerodynamic properties.

Also, I have to say it was a bit confusing when I first learned most of the new content is in Legacy.  Normally when you hear "legacy" you think something older and more established- so I expected the older parts to be in that based just on the name...

@Northstar1989 They're obsolete because Legacy is primarily a retirement home (hence its name) for parts made by K. Yeon. While he was around he only allowed himself to contribute parts to OPT Main and asked others to make their contributions to Legacy (therefore, it's also an expansion pack). The profiles of J vs Stail, and K vs Avatar, are very similar, plus the newer J and K simply have many more parts to get creative with and are newer looking, therefore Stail and Avatar are deemed obsolete. I've considered making a dry mass pass on all the parts, after having done a wet mass pass, but little things about that would quickly confuse me and throw me off, and the whole stock mass balance thing with throw me off more.

Normally when you hear "Legacy," yeah... I totally get that. It sucks having to explain that the situation is different here.

I continue to post everything in Legacy because I can't find it in me to take on the task of doing surgery on the cargo bays that trigger the 1km spawn bug. It's one thing to make or fix my own parts. It's another to dig open someone else's parts (without the source) and have to deal with preserving or rebuilding their UV unwraps before getting to the important part: replacing all the colliders and reanimating the bays.

On a different topic: I finally finished this, the final member of the VTOL suite. It's not a jet engine, of course, but it rivals and exceeds the stock SSME. There are gimbal pistons for this but they behaved weird (It's my first time using them) and I figured I could re-add them later. Can't be bothered to learn them right now.

tFO3Reb.jpg

11 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I continue to post everything in Legacy because I can't find it in me to take on the task of doing surgery on the cargo bays that trigger the 1km spawn bug.

1 km spawn bug???  Triggeted by which cargo bays? (Hopefully not one I'm using now!)

Also, dry mass is incredibly important.  Without good numbers it simply makes no sense to use some parts, if my goal is efficiency and function rather than looks. I generally don't put any fuel in the fuselages because I put all the fuel in the wings- as I use B9 Procedural Wings and FAR...

Maybe I can suggest some new #'s for the cargo bay dry masses and structural fuselage masses- which are both too high.  The fuel tankage fuselage masses were pretty reasonable in terms of the added wer/dry masses from adding fuel, if I recall correctly, but the base masses for many parts were too high...

Correcting the fuselage masses would also enable you to *slightly* (like 4-10%) reduce some of the engine performances, and still get the same Delta-V/payload from the same spaceplanes using the same OPT engines.

This would make it more competitive/reasonable to mix both OPT engines (which are *slightly* too good) and engines from stock/ other mods on OPT fuselages (right now you need slightly over-powered engines to get the right performance from over-heavy fuselages: even by Stock standards...)

And lighter fuselages would also make for safer re-entry profiles in any aero model, and less chance of Rapid Unplanned Disassembly due to aero-forces when using FAR (planes that are too dense experience higher peak re-entry heating AND max G's when making sharp turns) a problem I have been experiencing lately on the STOCK parts in mixed Stock/OPT designs, that I never saw in all-stock designs due to their more reasonable dry masses (the OPT parts seem to have buffed connection strengths to compensate for their excessive density- but I have had stock Mk2 adapter parts simply rip right off the nose of my spaceplane when making fairly gentle turns at 16 km altitude...  This is WITH extra struts added...)

Edited by Northstar1989

22 minutes ago, Northstar1989 said:

1 km spawn bug???  Triggeted by which cargo bays? (Hopefully not one I'm using now!)

This is triggered by the J Deployment Bay, the Humpback ramp, and 1 or 2 others, though I think none of the Avatar and K/KH bays. If you dare to scrub this thread and the old OPT thread you'll see me link this mod several times:

22 minutes ago, Northstar1989 said:

Maybe I can suggest some new #'s for the cargo bay dry masses and structural fuselage masses- which are both too high.  The fuel tankage fuselage masses were pretty reasonable in terms of the added wer/dry masses from adding fuel, if I recall correctly, but the base masses for many parts were too high...

Be my guest. I just integrated the feature patches (they are quite diverse but they were compartmentalized/isolated from Reconfig the entire time which makes things messy now) for the VTOL engines and haven't retested them yet to check for new issues.

:/ If you and @Stone Blue agree, I suppose I'll finally take over OPT Main. The cargo bay fix aside, there's plenty to do in updates to that. And the first/fastest thing I'll do is rip out the antiquated bundled mods. Though I'll try to keep most of the emphasis on config updates within Reconfig, and it will become mandatory and no longer optional. And... I honestly expected I'd never reach this point/a big point like having all these VTOL engine parts that I made by myself. But I'll end up a bit torn over where to publish X new set of parts like landing gear or a large dish.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@JadeofMaar, do OPT wings have any functionality as radiators? It seems like an ideal dual purpose for nuclear or futuristic powered aerospace craft to incorporate radiator panels directly into wing surfaces. And admittedly, seeing the wings glowing during high-thrust burns would be pretty cool. Maybe this could be a thing when SystemHeat is released.

Another high-tech part idea are powered control surfaces, or distributed propulsion wings. Basically the trailing edge of a control surface or wing act as a linear aerospike nozzle, or just a slit nozzle, through which the engine fires. Similar in concept to Blown flaps or Jet flaps

Edited by Gryphorim

7 minutes ago, Gryphorim said:

@JadeofMaar, do OPT wings have any functionality as radiators? It seems like an ideal dual purpose for nuclear or futuristic powered aerospace craft to incorporate radiator panels directly into wing surfaces. And admittedly, seeing the wings glowing during high-thrust burns would be pretty cool. Maybe this could be a thing when SystemHeat is released.

Another high-tech part idea are powered control surfaces, or distributed propulsion wings. Basically the trailing edge of a control surface or wing act as a linear aerospike nozzle, or just a slit nozzle, through which the engine fires. Also known as Blown flaps or Jet flaps

While the fuel switch would play havoc with such an option in there, I think it would be possible to create a set of wings with that feature as a stand-a-lone set of configs. While copying config files and renaming and editing is simple, balancing is not. How much radiator space do the wings really have? Also, I would think it would be better to add a new model that you could see the coloration of the radiators built into the wings. Maybe reduced fuel capacity for wings with radiators, but balance, maybe keep them separate

@Gryphorim No. OPT wing don't serve as radiators. They would already be doing so if I thought of adding radiator capacity for situations other than "I have a nuclear reactor in my cargo bay. I want the cargo bay itself to help that thing to stay cool because stock radiators are annoying and weak." A combined engine/elevon part is a pretty novel idea, actually, but I imagine it would need to be pretty thick/bulky in order to be able to provide meaningful thrust to a typical [really heavy] OPT Spaceplane, at which point it may become pretty draggy.

@Azic Minar As it so happens I've wanted aerodynamic radiators for a long time and recently I've been plotting to make a pack of radiator wings. But I haven't thought about the finer things like the heat emissive and if the elevons can also be radiators. I can't promise when I'll start making them as my to-do list is full and I'm feeling burnout from how much I've built up for the OPT release ahead. This wing pack will not be part of OPT. And I wouldn't keep fuel in radiator wings. IRL I think you'd be begging to blow yourself up.

Spoiler

We don't talk about why the cargo bays, with their great tankage, do serve as radiators. :sticktongue:

Instead of making (or waiting to make) the radiator wings pack I could add the radiator module to the existing Legacy wings. But I'm currently unable to easily change a part so that it can receive bump and emissive maps. They're all really thin (and so cannot hold fuel) but I have to do something about their inability to safely hold much thermal mass. They threaten to melt when the main wings don't. I think this may hamper their ability to perform as radiators. Another drawback is that anyone who wants radiator wings will be bound to download OPT Legacy and deal with its bulk.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Combined engine/elevon wouldn't necessarily need to be bulky if it was some form of plasma thruster, and there are developments in the airbreathing plasma thruster technology going on right now that might be able to match similarly sized jet engines one day. I had imagined something like an air-fed arcjet that uses something akin to railgun rails internally to further accelerate exhaust plasma, in which case the limiting size constraint would be length. Add the ability to magnetically or electrostatically deflect the exhaust jet, and you'd have a wing-shaped air-plasma engine, with vectored thrust in the elevons. In theory, such an engine could also transition to V/STOL mode by extending flaps. 
You'd probably lose any room for fuel storage though, with a wing-engine like this.
Alternatively, a lower power engine may still be useful for improved handling and for supplemental power for a main engine.

If you are doing radiator parts at some point in the future, and want to continue OPT's sci-fi futuristic aesthetic, why not look at the radiators on the spaceships in Elite: Dangerous. Those are ridiculously OP, and glow like the sun at full load. I am particularly fond of the Saud-Kruger ships, that have a glazed covering over the radiator panels.

10 hours ago, Gryphorim said:

Elite: Dangerous

That's BRILLIANT!

Spoiler

Pun intended.

10 hours ago, Gryphorim said:

something like an air-fed arcjet that uses something akin to railgun rails internally to further accelerate exhaust plasma,

That's not far from how the WarpJets work, specifically the SAGE's closed cycle mode. The open cycle depends on something entirely different for the "ignition/combustion" phase.

I like the SAGE's shape in general. that model is my favourite Mk2 engine from any mod, just on aesthetics. The slot nozzles already have the sort of design language I would imagine for a powered elevon. I could imagine something designed to snap to the back of the large and huge pylon/wingroot parts, with the engine body or cooling inlets visible on the dorsal and ventral surfaces of the wingroot, and the attached elevon/nozzle at the trailing edge, looking like a typical elevon, but with a SAGE style nozzle on the underside. For the huge, I'd imagine about 1/2 of the power of the SAGE, for the large, I'd imagine about 1/3rd. 
An underwing design would be cool as well, designed to fire along the underside of a wing in forward flight, but rotate the end of the exhaust vane downward to switch to VTOL flight. Would balance the thrust from the Elevon vanes at the rear of the wing.

22 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That's not far from how the WarpJets work, specifically the SAGE's closed cycle mode. The open cycle depends on something entirely different for the "ignition/combustion" phase.

Speaking of which: you can't really combust an atmosphere that doesn't have any Oxygen.  So maybe the WarpJet should explain its open cycle operation somewhat differently, considering it works on, say, Duna or Eve?

K drone core with RCS (J drone core is placeholder) and the existing K SAS parts get RCS as intended waaaay back when I made the SAS parts.

LCSFUIh.jpgFJ1R1Q4.jpgsF6EamK.jpg

@Northstar1989 @Gryphorim The "combustion chamber" of the WarpJet is one or more especially high powered, specialized regions of the magnetic rail. This is where it becomes soft/ whimsical sci-fi. That specialized region produces a spheroid magnetic confinement field and can contract/ compress with enough force to cause the air caught inside to superheat and ignite. It then releases this energy at the rear end, closes, and opens at the fore end to receive new air to compress. You could correlate this to a pulse detonation jet engine but it uses fusion. This "fusion pulse" energy allows it to serve as a rocket engine, in essence. A rocket but it uses the air itself and only the air.

There's even more to a WarpJet's whole process and all that it can do apart from being an engine, than this but it will be documented in imagery and posted to a wiki.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.