[1.9.1+] OPT Legacy 3.1.2 | Reconfig 3.4 [Apr 20, 2021]

JadeOfMaar

On 6/14/2018 at 4:56 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

@The_Joe This problem was known to be caused by one of the K or KH Inline SAS parts I created for OPT Legacy but that was resolved. If you are using OPT Legacy, please be sure to get the latest version or any version after 1.0.9.

Thats pretty strange.  I ended up installing an unofficial update to FAR and things worked again.  

I had 10 to 1 thrust to weight but still couldnt get more than 400 m/s with the KH style plane.  Its working now though. 

On 6/15/2018 at 7:34 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

@The_Joe You were using FAR? In what version of KSP?

Without FAR my planes were experiencing a ton of extra drag.

Someone recently posted an unofficial update to FAR that works with 1.4.3, so now I'm using that. My planes are working fine now.

Just now, Ithirahad said:

Could a version of this be made for 1.3? I want to give OPT parts with RSS/RF/SMURFF/FAR a whirl someday.

OPT is just a part mod and OPT Reconfig is just a bundle of MM configs. This mod should work just fine on 1.3. Just be sure you also have OPT Legacy 1.1.0 or newer too if you use that... But I cannot provide support for RF.

OPT Legacy contains jet engines designed for use in RSS. Let me know how those work out as I don't play higher than 2.5x and would never know for myself.

OPT Mk2 Nose. Rescale part. See quantity. Click to reconfigure. Change to exact same Resource. See wrong number!.

Ok once more but with more words...

So I have this space plane...

I put a nose on the end of the ScreamJet. I made the ScreamJet a bit bigger. So I have to increase the size of the nose piece. I mess around with manage resources and change to empty. You know for moving the CoM around. Anyway...I think heck I had monoprop in the nose. I emptied it and you know what? Yeah I think I will have monoprop in there after all. Click...Oh hang on that is a tiny amount. Why? Where...what the? Oh set scale back to 100%, change resource, then scale back to...fudge what was the scale again?

I think you get the idea by now. If you change the resource in the nose, you get only 100% resource, which is a bit mean if you had rescaled to say 250%. Not a huge issue I grant you. Would be nice not to have to keep rescaling stuff though.

1 hour ago, Apaseall said:

OPT Mk2 Nose. Rescale part. See quantity. Click to reconfigure. Change to exact same Resource. See wrong number!.

I think I get the idea. Angel-125's resource switching is incompatible with Tweakscale. Practically none of his parts have Tweakscale configs so nobody would ever know this issue would exist.

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I think I get the idea. Angel-125's resource switching is incompatible with Tweakscale. Practically none of his parts have Tweakscale configs so nobody would ever know this issue would exist.

Ah that would it then. I did notice in my 1.3.1 install that there was something odd about fuel values. It seemed to allow for a much greater amount of fuel, if you cycled through the options. I guess I will have to keep a close eye on things my end. Would it be worth putting a note about TweakScale in the OP, to give users a heads up in case they do something similar to what I have?

ATM I am grounded. I built this space plane...using little wings, thus needing large TWR, from powerful engines, but I seem to have lost a huge amount of thrust going from 1.3.1 to 1.4.3. I am asking about a possible missing upgrade to a KSPIE engine in the support thread for KSPIE. Fingers crossed I can get it sorted. Other wise...a hunt for a better engine and or redesign will have to take place. I digress.

A different perspective is taken in how volume is calculated and assigned to parts in WBI vs B9PS (and maybe other fuel switching mods). I tried to balance WBI and B9PS. I suppose I'll mention Tweakscale in the OP but most OPT parts don't have a scale patch.

The thrust you're missing may in large part be due to half the point of OPT Rconfig-- to add just a little more balance to all the engines-- make the obscenely strong ones only reasonably strong. But I think it's safe to assume that your design is very flawed if you're in dire need of high TWR and therefore high takeoff speed.

Oh it's flawed alright! I am using a DCNT from KSPIE. That would be Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet (I think). Does OPT Reconfig adjust those? I guess I had better take a peek at files in the Reconfig. However I think I may be missing an upgrade, as I see details for Mk1 and Mk2 but nothing for Mk3, which according to the engine cfg file I have the nodes researched for.

OPT Reconfig only affects OPT parts and I don't use KSPI. The only thing that can happen between these two is if and where my WBI tank configs allow for holding the resources available to KSPI. (Anything named bay, ramp or hollow should possibly have the options).

On 6/21/2018 at 10:18 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

OPT Reconfig only affects OPT parts and I don't use KSPI. The only thing that can happen between these two is if and where my WBI tank configs allow for holding the resources available to KSPI. (Anything named bay, ramp or hollow should possibly have the options).

Thanks @JadeOfMaar Sorry for the late response. I committed the sin of living without playing KSP. Now for my punishment I suffer the agonies of version compatibility conflicts as I seek to once more obtain the bliss that is a full working set of choice mods. Boom! in the ocean once more :(
Briefly touching on the J-60D engine, I see now that it has a good isp for vac, as a trade off against atm in relation to RBCC-8. As for TWR, 1/4 is given by J-60D vs RBCC-8.
Thus I surmise the RBCC-8 must be OP. Which I guess is why I picked it.
Trust me to play on the edge. Yes larger wings have lowered my ground speed required for lift-off.
But as we both know that path is a double edged sword, sure you get more lift at a lower speed, but have to fight the drag at higher speed. If like me your space plane needs to go fast for lift, there is a struggle to attain enough altitude such that the reduced friction from atmospheric pressure/density from said altitude is sufficient that the speed provides adequate lift without nosing up too much which increases drag.

Oh such a terrible balancing act.

Edited by Apaseall

Hello JadeofMaar,

First off thank you for all your work and picking this work up after Kyeon mysteriously decided to leave and never come back (apparently without saying a word).....

I really want to use the parts pack but I have some confusion as to what is included and what is necessary to make this work....

I also have confusion as to who to write to and how to get a hold of them if there is an issue with CKAN....I have noticed a lot of issues with CKAN like parts not showing up in game after installing certain mods, and certain mods not completely uninstalling.....i.e. leaving folders and files behind in my game folder after uninstalling certain things through CKAN....like Cryo Engines/tanks and FAR configuration files.....

First off I am using KSP v1.4.3. I briefly used v1.4.4 when Steam auto-updated it without me asking it to two days ago.... which pretty much broke my whole game causing me to delete everything in the GameData folder, then having Steam verify my files to put the vanilla game back as it should be, and finally putting 100+ mods back in with CKAN....after launching it via Beta to get it back to v1.4.3

My save file was also not usable when I reverted back to v1.4.3, but I renamed one of the backup saves and only lost a bit of work....

So.....for v1.4.3 of KSP the best version of OPT to use is your Legacy Version which requires your "reconfig mod" as well correct?

Does it require FAR? I hate FAR and DON'T want it in my game again....ever.....so is that going to work?

Does your reconfig file just support Life Support mods, or does it force you to use them? I don't use or want to use ANY form of life support mods....not USI, or Snacks, or Airline Kusine.....

So basically if FAR or Life Support is required to use these two mods form you, it's a deal-breaker for me...

Lastly what's that blurb on CKAN about "game breaking if you used v1.8.6?" Version of 1.8.6 of what exactly.....and how did whatever it was break the game?

I ask because I have spent most of my last two days UN-breaking KSP, I don't want to spend anymore time breaking or un-breaking my game....

Thanks,

JoE Smash

43 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

Hello JadeofMaar,

First off thank you for all your work and picking this work up after Kyeon mysteriously decided to leave and never come back (apparently without saying a word).....

I really want to use the parts pack but I have some confusion as to what is included and what is necessary to make this work....

I also have confusion as to who to write to and how to get a hold of them if there is an issue with CKAN....I have noticed a lot of issues with CKAN like parts not showing up in game after installing certain mods, and certain mods not completely uninstalling.....i.e. leaving folders and files behind in my game folder after uninstalling certain things through CKAN....like Cryo Engines/tanks and FAR configuration files.....

First off I am using KSP v1.4.3. I briefly used v1.4.4 when Steam auto-updated it without me asking it to two days ago.... which pretty much broke my whole game causing me to delete everything in the GameData folder, then having Steam verify my files to put the vanilla game back as it should be, and finally putting 100+ mods back in with CKAN....after launching it via Beta to get it back to v1.4.3

My save file was also not usable when I reverted back to v1.4.3, but I renamed one of the backup saves and only lost a bit of work....

So.....for v1.4.3 of KSP the best version of OPT to use is your Legacy Version which requires your "reconfig mod" as well correct?

Does it require FAR? I hate FAR and DON'T want it in my game again....ever.....so is that going to work?

Does your reconfig file just support Life Support mods, or does it force you to use them? I don't use or want to use ANY form of life support mods....not USI, or Snacks, or Airline Kusine.....

So basically if FAR or Life Support is required to use these two mods form you, it's a deal-breaker for me...

Lastly what's that blurb on CKAN about "game breaking if you used v1.8.6?" Version of 1.8.6 of what exactly.....and how did whatever it was break the game?

I ask because I have spent most of my last two days UN-breaking KSP, I don't want to spend anymore time breaking or un-breaking my game....

Thanks,

JoE Smash

Hey Joe, FAR and life support mods are not required. Legacy and main contain different parts, both compatable with 1.4.3 with use of this reconfigure update. 

I don't know anything about ckan.

I strongly recommend copying your entire KSP install into a backup folder before installing any mods if you're nervous.

@JoE Smash you're welcome. I'm glad you like. :)

OPT Reconfig is only a collection of config files. It includes no part models or textures and no plugins. The only requirement to it is B9 Part Switch which is superior to Firespitter for fuel and model switching.

As for your issues:

• Those problem(s) of CKAN are to be brought up in the CKAN thread, not here. I tend to setup KSP installs with about 80 mods and I nearly always do it manual. I fully appreciate CKAN as a service and will sometimes use it but I can't be bothered to settle into it (strange, right?). Customizing later installs generally are reduced to cherry-picking handfuls of mods after creating the main modded install and cloning the install.
  • I learned a long time ago to deal with Steam and not play in Steam so the update problems are never a problem.
  • For KSP 1.3.0 forward, OPT Reconfig is recommended for keeping OPT relevant and compliant with other mods. It is optional for the main OPT pack but is not optional concerning OPT Legacy 1.1.0 and later (in big text in the thread OP).
  • OPT Legacy (if you don't already know) is itself not a requirement but a retirement home for parts from OPT, and an expansion pack. If you like plane parts, it gives you more to play with, and more engines that work well anywhere/everywhere.
  • OPT Reconfig does not force you to use FAR or any life support mods. It only makes compliance with them more convenient and much better.
  • "1.8.6" is one of a few (and I believe the last) versions where OPT parts were internally renamed and would break craft files when changing OPT versions.

So regular OPT  created by Kyeon still works with KSP v1.4.3? I assumed it hadn't because it is so old and hasn't been updated in over a year....

I figured your Legacy OPT had the stuff from Kyeon's OPT plus other stuff you added over time.

So assuming you tell me the old OPT still somehow works, that means I could install his old OPT, your legacy OPT pack, and your reconfig mod and have a crap ton of space plane parts?

I figure that could be fun....

Thanks for taking the time to answer my noob questions,

JoE Smash

1 hour ago, JoE Smash said:

So regular OPT  created by Kyeon still works with KSP v1.4.3?

Yes.

1 hour ago, JoE Smash said:

I could install his old OPT, your legacy OPT pack, and your reconfig mod and have a crap ton of space plane parts?

Yes.

Finally made the alternate resource icons for Dark Science and the Dark Goo (devised by K. Yeon and hinted at in the Dark Drive's part description).

For anyone who doesn't already know, The OPT labs create Dark Science and the Dark Drive holds, uses and regenerates the Dark Goo. This has been here since the first release of OPT Reconfig.

The Dark Goo facilitates the following:

1. The Dark Goo is a very volatile lifeform and a core element of the Dark Drive. As it ages and dies over time, it makes the engine as if it was an RTG, keeping ship systems running until it's all gone.
  2. As said in the part description, the Dark Goo feeds on LFO and produces thrust, therefore its metabolism goes up and it wears out just a little faster. No Goo = no thrust, no RTG, no dV!
  3. It makes the Dark Drive very balanced for gameplay. No change is made to its performance but players must budget time and Ore storage and babysit this engine. Any OPT Spaceplane headed for the outer planets and using Dark Drives will need to contain an OPT lab or a number of stock Experiment Storage Units for recharging the Dark Drive.

KQm3aRo.jpg

(A few days of time warp here)

ngLmTkb.jpg

I can't decide how many of the Experiment Storage Unit to require. I'm torn between 4 (for part count reasons and ease of symmetry) and 6 (I don't want a given box holding too much science because then it becomes OP too).

Edited by JadeOfMaar

OPT Reconfig 1.0.7

• Fixed J-92 plume problem
  • Added Science Box (Experiment Storage Unit) capacity for Dark Science (need 4 to refill a Dark Drive, useful for spaceplanes that are smaller than or do not contain J body, or simply extending the Dark Science supply)
  • Added ARP icons for Dark Science and Dark Goo
  • Removed (gigantic) smoke FX from HAE-02 (Mk2 engine)

@JadeOfMaar

Hi, I am getting some of this;

Spoiler

180629T171001.007 [EXCEPTION] [WildBlueIndustries.OpsManagerView.DrawOpsWindow] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
   at WildBlueIndustries.OpsManagerView.DrawOpsWindow (System.String buttonLabel)
   at WildBlueIndustries.WBIOpsManager.DrawOpsWindow (System.String buttonLabel)
   at WildBlueIndustries.OpsManagerView.DrawWindowContents (Int32 windowId)
   at WildBlueIndustries.Dialog`1[T].PreDrawWindowContents (Int32 windowId)
   at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
   at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

Which means I cannot manage resources in the sph.

It is probably a conflict with another mod, but thought I would share with you.

Here are some files; https://www.dropbox.com/s/47o88pc661w0x0f/save for JadeOfMaar.WBI-Manage.1..rar?dl=0.

Bit of an odd question. If there are two parts, say for arguments sake a cargo bay. One from OPT main and the other from OPT Legacy. Would I be correct in believing that the part from OPT Legacy is the part that is shall we say, newest? Also that it would be the part that might be adjusted if it is found that something is not quite right with it?

In other words, if there is a choice of two very similar parts, would it be wiser to pick the one from OPT Legacy, since that one has improved support?

@Apaseall Thanks for the discovery concerning WBI. I assume it's in KSP 1.4.4 (which I'm not using yet so I cannot yet see or deal with it.)

Unfortunately I can't give you a straight answer. As long as it's something that can be solved through MM, then OPT Reconfig will cover OPT Main problems, and an OPT Legacy update will provide fixes to itself. Beyond that, I'm currently not in the business of fixing existing OPT models, especially animated ones.