[1.9.1+] OPT Legacy 3.1.2 | Reconfig 3.4 [Apr 20, 2021]

JadeOfMaar

@DefenderX1 Except for anything concerning IntakeAtm and CryoEngines, OPT Reconfig manages well to be compartmentalized. OPT_Reconfig/MainEngines.cfg contains the re-balance for OPT Main's engines. It's easy to isolate the patches for each engine within this file in order to delete as you like if you want to restore their old-school performance, or just remove this file entirely if you simply want all those engines to not be affected. By extension, you'll want to delete OPT_Reconfig/Resources/DarkGoo.cfg if you care about the Dark Drive.

As @Azic Minar introduces, once you have some understanding of configs, you can very easily cherry pick the config to fine-tune things to your liking. However, it will be a task for you to do the same to the Legacy pack's engines as they are tuned from within (their own part configs) and are not being "re-balanced" by Reconfig.

On 6/10/2020 at 5:49 PM, JadeOfMaar said:
  • H body is meant to complement K body so I'm not making an H lab and most likely not an H cockpit. (Though, I feel the need for an H cockpit too.)

Shame, using an H body as the basis for a parasite craft sounds like a fun idea, but with the lack of parts for it beyond drone control, engine mounts, fuel tanks and passenger space the actual possible functions for such a thing are limited. 

17 hours ago, Dep_Opt said:

Shame, using an H body as the basis for a parasite craft sounds like a fun idea, but with the lack of parts for it beyond drone control, engine mounts, fuel tanks and passenger space the actual possible functions for such a thing are limited. 

I agree it would be nice. I just went back and looked through the parts because I was thinking it might be nice to copy the config and have a separate file to turn a crew tank into a science bay. Then I noticed that with the H parts, I've always thought of the H mounted over the actual H parts and never really noticed the normal ones. That said, I'm seeing why you'd want a command pod for H. Actually, my next craft will be a K with HH (Hull mounted H) ontop and bottom. But I have been looking at that H thinking it could be sexy for my next blimp.

Edited by Azic Minar
Noticed Stuff

So is this a KHH or a HKH?

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/hefpzg/new_kopernicus_save_new_jool_grade_blimp_testing/

@Dep_Opt After some more thinking, I think it would be nice if H had cargo bays for both H fuselage and H mounted designs. Landing legs and more science experiments could be mounted that way over tanks or hollow hull that has a reactor in it.

Edited by Azic Minar
Didn't want to do a second post

Hey - super happy to be able to play with the OPT stuff with a ton of mods and in the current KSP version because of this! I haven't touched the game in a few years and coming back to the current mod scene is great.

Found a small thing I wanted to bring up, not sure if it's intentional - I'm using Connected Living Space and made a spaceplane using the Humpback parts. The rear is a Humpback to J-Short Adapter and while the part itself is passable, it doesn't seem to want to allow passing through the center node into J - which visually has a door on the model. I tried editing out the Impassable line in the CLS .cfg, and the part info no longer shows the impassable nodes, but it still won't pass to anything connected to that node. This makes it super tough because there's no way to make a docking port that's CLS compatible with that hull barring some janky looking workarounds, and its also the only hull type with a ton of easy, slick-looking crew cabins. (I need a bus for my tourists! :P)

Is this intentional? Is it on my end? Anyone got any idea how to quick edit something to fix it, or is it something with my design? I hoped the .cfg edit would do it. I suppose I could just turn off CLS. I can provide screenshots if my description isn't clear.

@Jerichoba idk... I checked the CLS patch for it on the repo, and idk why it wont work for you, after removing the impassable nodes.

Could you try swapping the long (7m) adaptor in, and see if it does the same thing? the patch targets *both* adaptors... if the issue only shows with one, but not the other, then its  def a specific issue to the part beyond the CLS patch.

Also, what J part(s) are you connecting to it?

Edited by Stone Blue

@Stone Blue Maybe my issue is that I'm not connecting a J part? I have a Rockomax 2.5->1.5 adapter (stock, CLS passable) and then a shielded 1.5 docking port (stock, CLS passable).

Those parts pass on other craft, it's just that large J-fit node on the adapter that seems to not want to allow passing. I'll toy around with it today and see if I can get other OPT parts to pass to either of those parts, or if any OPT parts pass to other passable parts. Maybe its a bigger issue of OPT parts not wanting to pass to non OPT parts, somehow? That doesn't make sense to me, but I don't fundamentally understand how CLS works under the hood beyond what I've read from part tool tips or a little .cfg editing.

At the end of the day it's not a huge deal - I can still complete the missions by just docking and leaving the tourists in the ship, but my immersion. :P

Edit: Figured it out! I didn't realize that after the CFG edit, the vessel save file still saves the line with the impassable node. After I made the edit, I didn't either grab a new version of the part or also edit the vessel save file. A new mock up transfers fine.

Edited by Jerichoba
Fixed!

Kewl!... glad you got it working. ;)

5 hours ago, Jerichoba said:

Edit: Figured it out! I didn't realize that after the CFG edit, the vessel save file still saves the line with the impassable node. After I made the edit, I didn't either grab a new version of the part or also edit the vessel save file. A new mock up transfers fine. 

*... been there, done THAT!...* lol

Still.... very weird that the impassablenodes key, for the dorsal/ventral nodes, seems to be affecting one of the bulkhead nodes? vOv

@JadeOfMaar any ideas?

I agree - Seems like the bulkhead node should pass in that case - else to get crew out of the Humpback hull in CLS, you'd have to place something other than an adapter on one of the nodes. I don't know the node naming, but maybe it's meant to be "Top1" and "Top3"? (Assuming something like they're 1, 2, and 3 left to right.) I didn't try to pass through any of the side nodes.

I don't dare try to explain how complicated my docking port in a humpback cargo hold looked!

Edited by Jerichoba

@DefenderX1 Yes there are supposed to be a bunch of .txt files.

• Actually, MainWings_Stacknodes.txt shouldn't be there but I didn't want to delete it. As the name says, it adds stack nodes to OPT Main's wings (and elevons). But then the elevons become unplayable when the wing assembly is setup in symmetry. They will tend to interpret all control input as roll. (This config has a warning at the top.) Feel free to activate it and mess around if that's your thing.
  • The Classic folder is all valid configs, but they depend on the WBI play mode switcher to rename them to .cfg (and rename all of the configs in the CRP folder to .txt) if you use the Wild Blue mods in Classic Stock mode. These should never be active the same time as CRP configs. That leads to horrible overlap and null ref problems.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:53 AM, Not a Spy said:

ive been having a bug with the opt mods where b9 gives me a fatal error, is this common?

• You did not install Community Resource Pack
  • You installed OPT Legacy but not Reconfig (which is mandatory for Legacy)

One of these. And they're not common. If not, I'd like to see a screenshot of the error message.

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

One of these. And they're not common. If not, I'd like to see a screenshot of the error message.

Well, yes, they are common... when you're dumb like me and don't install a required mod. XD

On 6/29/2020 at 7:03 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

will grab one now, also, when i tried to redownload there were no files in the zip

wait

didnt get the warning this time!

Edited by Not a Spy

5 hours ago, Not a Spy said:

and is there a possibility for a part like the stail drone core but with the J profile?

J Drone Nose as its own part? You can easily approximate that with the existing J nose and a J inline drone core behind it. Or you can use an MM patch to add ModuleCommand{} to it and make it a drone core.

Spoiler

Save this as a .cfg file in GameData

@PART[j_5m_nose]:BEFORE[OPT_Reconfig]
{
	@title = OPT J Heat Resistant Drone Nose
	@category = Pods
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCommand
		minimumCrew = 0
		%hasHibernation = True
		%hibernationMultiplier = 0.2
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 0.08
		}
	}
}

Interestingly, the J Nose already has everything else you would expect from a drone core. It has battery, SAS module, KerbNet and reaction wheels.

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

J Drone Nose as its own part? You can easily approximate that with the existing J nose and a J inline drone core behind it. Or you can use an MM patch to add ModuleCommand{} to it and make it a drone core.

Reveal hidden contents

Save this as a .cfg file in GameData

@PART[j_5m_nose]:BEFORE[OPT_Reconfig]
{
	@title = OPT J Heat Resistant Drone Nose
	@category = Pods
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCommand
		minimumCrew = 0
		%hasHibernation = True
		%hibernationMultiplier = 0.2
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 0.08
		}
	}
}

Interestingly, the J Nose already has everything else you would expect from a drone core. It has battery, SAS module, KerbNet and reaction wheels.

i cant find a j nose cone

6 hours ago, Not a Spy said:

i cant find a j nose cone

The exact title is "OPT J Heat Resistant Nose" and it's in the fuel tanks category, not the aero category.

You'll also easily find it in the "J" custom subcategory if you set advanced mode in the part selection and enter the OPT section next to subassembly access.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

14 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The exact title is "OPT J Heat Resistant Nose" and it's in the fuel tanks category, not the aero category.

You'll also easily find it in the "J" custom subcategory if you set advanced mode in the part selection and enter the OPT section next to subassembly access.

thank you

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.