[1.9.1+] OPT Legacy 3.1.2 | Reconfig 3.4 [Apr 20, 2021]

JadeOfMaar

11 hours ago, NHunter said:

I'm assuming, you're talking about MARGE VTOL warpjets (the big, boxy ones). Their closed cycle mode is designed to function like an ion VASIMR engine (low thrust and reasonably high ISP that can be adjusted for even lower thrust with higher ISP) with stored intakeAtm used as propellant. And given what you're saying, it looks like you're trying to run them closed-cycle while in atmoshpere - you need to use open cycle more as long as you have enough air around. MARGEs in open cycle should have something like 400 kN at standstill and ~850 kN once they gets going.

[once I'm back home and can access KSP, I'll drop a few pics of my J-body spaceplane which uses MARGEs for in-atmosphere flight - KER readouts included]

No I'm talking about the OPT-E WarpJet FVT-J.  The one that you place on the fuselage and ends up merging with it. 

And they are a bit too thin to show up properly on K class fuselage.

Those two flaps on the top never seem to close even when I close the intakes

lJmm6h7.png

And on the bottom the exhaust shields are merged into the hull so far that you can't see if it's open or closed without highlighting it

FNMGmqJ.png

14 hours ago, captinjoehenry said:

Love this mod!  But there are some oddities about the warp saddle vto jets.  They have open and closed mode but the closed mode still use intake air.  And their thrust is rather low espicially at sea level making it real hard for them to actually allow vtol operations.

Cosmetically the intake flaps on the top of the engines do not move when opening or closing them.

I'll check for that IntakeAir problem. If that's indeed a thing I'm truly surprised I missed that.

I've boosted the thrusts of a few engines including these for the next release. Note that the closed mode of a warpjet is vac only. It is in essence an ion engine, and ions don't work in atmo. Stick to the open cycle in atmo.

12 hours ago, Dafni said:

Hello everybody,

I couldn't find a better place to post this, please move/delete/whatever if anyone is not happy with this here:

What are the requirements/dependencies for running OPT on KSP 1.8.1 nowadays?

many thanks in advance for any help.

Daf

You want OPT Spaceplane Continued which is setup properly on CKAN if you use that. And you want at least B9 Part Switch, OPT Reconfig, and Community Resource Pack.

You'll want OPT Legacy for parts that should be in main but couldn't be added like the K and KH inline RCS, the K cabin and lab, the 2.5m intake for the Nebula engine, and the J and K fuselage wrapper engines (which make the J or K tank look like it has engines built in).

Feel free to delete the Stail, Humpback and Avatar bodies from Legacy. Their textures are a great weight you don't need to carry if you're not a fan of the vintage wares.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:14 AM, Uni Kerman said:

Im missing research nodes preceeding covert aeronautics 2 (dark drive).

Edit: It would appear that the tech tree is more broken than i initialy thought. HAE-02, ARI-75b and J-92 Nebula engines are in both Aerospace Tech and Experimental Aircraft Engines nodes.

Ah. Covert Aeronautics (1) is only populated by engines from OPT Legacy. You don't have OPT Legacy so that node is empty, and it's set to hide when empty. I didn't foresee this one.

1 hour ago, captinjoehenry said:

No I'm talking about the OPT-E WarpJet FVT-J.  The one that you place on the fuselage and ends up merging with it. 

And they are a bit too thin to show up properly on K class fuselage.

Those two flaps on the top never seem to close even when I close the intakes

And on the bottom the exhaust shields are merged into the hull so far that you can't see if it's open or closed without highlighting it

They fit just fine on the K fuselage. However, their cutaway effect requires Restock's DepthMask module. If you have Restock then the shader is malfunctioning and you may have to restart KSP. The intake shutter animation requires B9 Animation Modules. This plugin will also enable the intake animation in the Helicarrier engine, the 2.5m Nebula Shock intake, the MARGE and Valkyrie Tilt, and the Bubble engine. You will also see most or all of these intakes close themselves depending on your speed in atmo, like Skylon's intake does.

*paging @NHunter in case he doesn't know this*

YGfDViz.jpg

Side note: All of OPT's RCS are able to change fuel if you didn't already know. But I bet their shapes aren't very pleasing. (I'm noticing your use of the low profile B9 RCS block).

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

They fit just fine on the K fuselage. However, their cutaway effect requires Restock's DepthMask module. If you have Restock then the shader is malfunctioning and you may have to restart KSP. The intake shutter animation requires B9 Animation Modules. This plugin will also enable the intake animation in the Helicarrier engine, the 2.5m Nebula Shock intake, the MARGE and Valkyrie Tilt, and the Bubble engine. You will also see most or all of these intakes close themselves depending on your speed in atmo, like Skylon's intake does.

I've installed the depth mask module and b9 animation module from:

But the engines still aren't doing the cutaway effect.  And the top flaps of the engines don't animate.  The bottom ones do move though.  Just can't see it due to the lack of cutaway.  Not sure what's wrong as I've installed the manually the usual way 

https://github.com/blowfishpro/B9AnimationModules/releases

@captinjoehenry The engines aren't configured to use the standalone DepthMask mod, but only when Restock is installed the cutaway works... I really didn't think many people would be using the standalone so I'll actually fix that. Note that the intake animation only works with the first intake toggle. It doesn't work with the second (which typically exists because of the part having an intake module each for IntakeAir and IntakeAtm).

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

@captinjoehenry The engines aren't configured to use the standalone DepthMask mod, but only when Restock is installed the cutaway works... I really didn't think many people would be using the standalone so I'll actually fix that. Note that the intake animation only works with the first intake toggle. It doesn't work with the second (which typically exists because of the part having an intake module each for IntakeAir and IntakeAtm).

Good news and bad news.  It works and looks beautifully!  BUT it requires new hull parts to be placed.  Which means I sort of need to entirely rebuild my space plane :(

6 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@captinjoehenry I assume that means some parts you use have been invalidated by Restock's blacklist. Screenshot the window that lists these parts and I may be able to help identify them so you can alert the devs who own them.

No.  I mean OPT K fussalages.  The cutaway works perfectly on newly placed ones.  But when I load my craft from before installing restock the OPT K parts don't get any cutaways on them

Left is newly placed hull.  Right is the one that was placed before installing the mod

ybTQiUx.png 

I can though move the previously placed engines onto a newly placed hull piece and the engines work fine.  It's just an issue with the old placed hull pieces.  As a side note this whole install is only a few days old and all on the current version of KSP

Edited by captinjoehenry

Guys I have a problem, I have a lot of mods installed(major ones include Kerbalism, KSP-IE, configurable containers), but when I install OPt legacy with OPT Reconfig, none of the fuel tanks( from OPT) appear to hold any fuel.

I've double-checked everything and I have all of its dependencies(B9-PS, CRP) installed, but this issue persists, can somebody tell me how to resolve this issue?? 

21 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You want OPT Spaceplane Continued which is setup properly on CKAN if you use that. And you want at least B9 Part Switch, OPT Reconfig, and Community Resource Pack.

You'll want OPT Legacy for parts that should be in main but couldn't be added like the K and KH inline RCS, the K cabin and lab, the 2.5m intake for the Nebula engine, and the J and K fuselage wrapper engines (which make the J or K tank look like it has engines built in).

Feel free to delete the Stail, Humpback and Avatar bodies from Legacy. Their textures are a great weight you don't need to carry if you're not a fan of the vintage wares.

Thank you very much for taking the time! I appreciate it a lot.

2 hours ago, DA299 said:

Guys I have a problem, I have a lot of mods installed(major ones include Kerbalism, KSP-IE, configurable containers), but when I install OPt legacy with OPT Reconfig, none of the fuel tanks( from OPT) appear to hold any fuel.

I've double-checked everything and I have all of its dependencies(B9-PS, CRP) installed, but this issue persists, can somebody tell me how to resolve this issue?? 

OPT is using Configurable Containers for fuel switching. That support is there. Perhaps you did not see CC's button for it as you're not expecting that support?

22 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

OPT is using Configurable Containers for fuel switching. That support is there. Perhaps you did not see CC's button for it as you're not expecting that support?

Thanks a lot for the reply, but that was not the issue, no detail at all was showed for the tanks. But I did manage to find the issue; turns out that I had installed OPT using CKAN and it somehow messed up the install, so I installed manually and now everything is good. @JadeOfMaar I reaaally love this mod, big thanks to you for maintaining it!

@DA299 Do you mean you installed the older OPT Spaceplane (before Continued)? If that's the case (and it shouldn't be. I had LinuxGuruGamer fix me up good and proper with CKAN) then you had the old Firespitter plugin and patches running (and possibly destabilizing your game).

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

@DA299 Do you mean you installed the older OPT Spaceplane (before Continued)? If that's the case (and it shouldn't be. I had LinuxGuruGamer fix me up good and proper with CKAN) then you had the old Firespitter plugin and patches running (and possibly destabilizing your game).

I don't think it was too old, I mean it could be one or two updates ago but not older than that,  because I checked in the GameData folder and both Legacy and Reconfig had been installed.

@JadeOfMaar so I just checked and it turns out that that CKAN lists OPT Legacy 1.6.2 and OPT Reconfig 1.9.2 as the latest version compatible with KSP 1.8.1, I don't know which versions are latest exactly, but they are both 2.0.0+, so I figure this might be what's causing the issue.

5 minutes ago, DA299 said:

I don't know which versions are latest exactly, but they are both 2.0.0+

Oh. That clears things up completely. CC support is held (and properly) by OPT Reconfig 2.0.3. Allista's mods no longer hold the OPT patch because it was outdated and didn't target Legacy parts at all. So you actually don't have the feature. It's okay to allow mods for 1.9/1.10 in CKAN and force it to install the latest of OPT since OPT is all parts and configs. No plugins of its own.

You might possibly get onto a bumpy road with B9PS as v2.16+ of it (idk if this is available on KSP 1.8) is required for engine feature switching which is involved in nearly all of the VTOL engines (added in Legacy 2.1). At this point you'll want to delete the 2 files with "VIsp" in their names in OPT_Legacy/MM_Patches/ so B9PS won't try to do what it doesn't know yet. If you do have B9PS 2.16, the "VIsp" configs are perfectly safe.

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Oh. That clears things up completely. CC support is held (and properly) by OPT Reconfig 2.0.3. Allista's mods no longer hold the OPT patch because it was outdated and didn't target Legacy parts at all. So you actually don't have the feature. It's okay to allow mods for 1.9/1.10 in CKAN and force it to install the latest of OPT since OPT is all parts and configs. No plugins of its own.

You might possibly get onto a bumpy road with B9PS as v2.16+ of it (idk if this is available on KSP 1.8) is required for engine feature switching which is involved in nearly all of the VTOL engines (added in Legacy 2.1). At this point you'll want to delete the 2 files with "VIsp" in their names in OPT_Legacy/MM_Patches/ so B9PS won't try to do what it doesn't know yet. If you do have B9PS 2.16, the "VIsp" configs are perfectly safe.

I have B9-PS v2.14, so should I update it to v2.16+?I haven't used the VTOL engines yet, but besides that I didn't notice any issues.

Also,  yes forcing CKAN to install KSP 1.9/1.10 compatible versions is the only way to get the latest version(s) of OPT.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, let me express my gratitude about your work. Thank you for upkeeping that outstanding mod.

In second, excuse me for my bad english.

And now, let me ask a few questions.

Currently, CKAN shows only OPT Reconfig support 1.10, OPT Continued and OPT Legacy shows as 1.9.1 If I manually install both, some parts shown as "legacy" and some of them has dupes. Any way to solve this?

I don't know if you fixed this in the latest release but the OPT ACS part crashes the game like crazy. I am talking about the single port, not the one with 4 variants. It even crashed my game once when i clicked on it in the vab. I think it's sound related ??? I'm sorry, I can't provide a log.

ksp 1.10.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.