What triggers low fps only in tracking station?

KSP 1.4.2

Could it be Kopernicus?

There are no NRE, log is filled up with "Finding asteroids" when  in tracking station.

No ResearchBodies.

But OPM, ExtraSolar.

Edit:

bump @DMagic could it be Tracking Station Evolved? There are no NREs, just lower fps...

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 4 weeks later...

Not likely. Tracking Station Evolved isn't doing much unless you are actively interacting with it.

By log is filling up, do you mean it is continuously writing that message? Are asteroids being generated continuously? That could slow down TSE, but it would also slow everything down.

When you say low FPS, do you mean going from 300FPS to 5FPS, How much of an effect are you looking at?

I did find Extrasolar was dragging my FPS down to 15FPS, when I updated it to use OnDemandLoad. Went up too 55FPS.

Currently have OPM, Extrasolar, and SVT installed. Do not use EVE or Scatterer, so not sure if they affect it. I have about 140'ish mods installed atm and this was in a new early game. No comms networks, only a few vessels, and 17 unknown objects. 

@DMagic Just wanted to mention that in KSP 1.4.3 it's the same and after removing Tracking Station Evolved for testing it's still low fps.

@Barar Space Center is either 60 fps or 30 fps (this magical "either-or" was intruduced in KSP 1.4.2), VAB is 60 fps, Tracking Station was 8-10 fps @KSP 1.4.2 and is 4-7 fps @KSP 1.4.3

@Thomas P. It could be Kopernicus:

1. as I first tested KSP 1.4.3 with Kopernicus I had the same issue as everybody, the huge fps drop, so I reverted to KSP 1.4.2
  2. after Kopernicus was updated yesterday I finally went to KSP 1.4.3, but it behaves choppier and laggier than KSP 1.4.2 did, so it could be stock issues or Kopernicus is not totally fixed
  3. this makes me believe that already under KSP 1.4.2 Kopernicus was not totally fixed and perhaps the low fps in Tracking Station are reasoned by Kopernicus
  4. I had a test with Sigma Dimensions last session, but also without rescaling the issue exists
  5. "[Kopernicus] No new objects this time. (Probablility is 15%)" is logged way too much, I suggest a setting in a config to avoid those logging as they're not useful under most circumstances

My log from my last session with KSP 1.4.3 and Kopernicus 1.4.3 Release 2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbd1s2m4ld5qp1i/2018-05-07_1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

Edited by Gordon Dry

@Gordon Dry

[WRN 05:05:29.075] Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'EVE PQS'
[LOG 05:05:29.148] [EVE CloudsManager]: Cannot find Jool to apply to main Menu!
[LOG 05:05:29.149] [EVE CloudsManager]: No PQS! Instanciating one.
[LOG 05:05:29.149] [EVE CloudsManager]: PQS Applied

if you don't like these warnings, you can add them in. They are stored in the setting.cfg at the same level as KSP_x64.exe. The have a Low, Default, High. I simply did a copy/paste of best guess config and put in the name of the planets packs I added. Not sure how much of an effect it will make as it does default to a config.

Spoiler

PRESET
    {
        name = Default
        PLANET
        {
            name = Kerbin
            minDistance = 6
            minSubdivision = 1
            maxSubdivision = 9
        }
        PLANET
        {
            name = KerbinOcean
            minDistance = 6
            minSubdivision = 1
            maxSubdivision = 7
        }
        PLANET
        {
            name = Mun
            minDistance = 6
            minSubdivision = 1
            maxSubdivision = 8
        }

Space Center has always been fine for me.

VAB/MAB is really dependent on how many part on a vessels I have, and if I have turned on the Aerodynamic, COM, COL options. But never really experienced FPS drop here.

Tracking station can be tough, it loads the planets, ships, asteroids, comm-network,  X.Science, ScanSat and others. I even have Kerbal Alarm Clock, Slingshotter, USI, SEP, and some others loaded. Not pointing to a particular one, it just adds up in my experience.

Spoiler

I think the issue of the FPS drop, is just the maximum performance of Unity, mods, and your system.

My general rule is if it contains a .dll file, I will suffer a some kind of FPS hit, noticeable or not. If its a parts pack, I will get a memory hit.

If you have 300FPS with no mods loaded. But each mod takes 1-10FPS to run in the back ground. You will eventually slow down if you install 200+ Mods.  FPS being used very generically for processing power.

Take a contract packs, if you have 30 active contracts. KSP has to monitor those contracts in the background. It will overlay the orbits or locations for completion, but it needs to be checked at some point, which impacts performance.

By your log count, you have some 195 DLL's and 210 Folders. 

From my own logs, I have 121 DLL's and 130 Folders.

My computer is a i7 8700K OC'd to 4.7, 32G DDR4 2400 ram, 256mb SSD M2 drives, with an older GTX980. My Current space-station is 450ish parts and maintains 30FPS. I do have 8X AA and various other settings I can reduce if I want a higher FPS. I did have to cull a bunch of mods I would like to have installed and could easily add another 40+ mods. It seems for me, a nice spot between performance, graphics and mods right now though.

You having about 60+ more mods then me, but my system still only does 55FPS in tracking station. Just trying to give you a comparison between systems. It would be interesting to see how our setups would run on each others system. Could I get 55FPS in the tracking station with your setup.

I did do a quick stock only build, and I could hit 766 parts in orbit before I got down to 30FPS. So I loose some 200+parts because of mods to maintain 30FPS performance. This method is obviously fraught with potential variables, so it is by no means concrete evidence. 

@Gordon Dry

Not in any way trying to say how to play, just relaying my own experiences.

The only reference to the settings preset is this thread I found. Might be other ones out there, but I wonder what the default is if this is not found. The corresponding button is Terrain Detail in Setting/Graphics from main menu.

Edited by Barar
updated

@Gordon Dry

The do have KerbinOcean, but I am unsure of how it relates to Kerbin config wise. 

PLANET
        {
            name = KerbinOcean
            minDistance = 6
            minSubdivision = 1
            maxSubdivision = 7
        }

Would FustOcean work, but since it does not give an error -> Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'FustOcean' I would assume it would not since nothing is linking to it. It might be that the chosen setting is applied to the whole planet including ocean. As I have not seen it it referenced anywhere.

I was more curious if someone set the Terrain detail to Low or High. Would OPM and Extrasolar just default to a basic setting that never changes, or is there a default setting for Low/Default/High. 

Terrain Detail: This affects the detail level of the planet meshes and the oceans. Lower setting is faster, but will look more jagged and rough, less "real", so to speak.

@Barar Perhaps I should mention something I just forgot to ... in earlier KSP, like 1.3.x and before, in heavily modded installs, I never has such fps drops in the Tracking Station.

It always was kinda sluggish, but this is really bad.

Perhaps (yes that word again) it's a stock issue that is triggered by the amount of mods, some code-detour-repetitions?

Edit:

@Barar

OMG this is weird.

I had removed Kerbalism @N70and added TAC-LS and Kerbal Health and started a new career.

The fps issue was still there.

Then I had this issue:
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/155313-141-kerbal-health-112-2018-03-14/&do=findComment&comment=3375120

I force quit, removed Kerbal Health @garwel, booted KSP.

I went to the Tracking Station and recovered the vessel, the fps issue still occured.

I did another mission and went to the Tracking station and .... 60 fps.

Couldn't believe it, so went back to SPC and again to the Tracking Station. Still 60 fps.

The log of this magic session:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4m7yv4o1a5ah3mi/2018-05-10_2 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 weeks later...

@N70 Just to confirm, after the quirks mentioned in the last post I always had good fps values - the most candidate should be Kerbalism.

I use -force-glcore and in an earlier version of Kerbalism was an issue with that becasue of the radiation magnetosphere particle rendering - also when turned off.

I guess after the issue was visually fixed there was still something wrong.

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.