[Mission Idea] Accurate Apollo 13 Recreation

Hey KSP fam,

I posted this on the making history missions forum as a request, but seeing as this forum is meant for such things I thought I'd post this here.

To cut a lot of re-posts (was collaborating  with someone however he hasn't posted in a few weeks, and I don't have much time to create this on my own), I'll link to the original request on my own and on the following post I will link my contributions to the project.

Original Thread: 

My Contributions:

Reworked KSA's Stock-DLC Saturn V to correctly match the TWR of each stage of the Saturn V - Apollo Launches (including LEM and Apollo CSM) as well as clamp placement and a few tweaks here and there (I still need to re-work staging and add in action groups however):

https://kerbalx.com/shoe7ess/KSA-Saturn-V-Making-History-Expansion-Realistic-TWR-Values

A google spreadsheet I created based off of https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_13h_Timeline.htm containing the more important events as well as extra ones (depending on how "realistic" you want it to go):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XJ9wIFNWPS5Be4y_O0csgaOxxgyzKEkTU4UKEdKyWnk/edit#gid=1386834576

I'll see what progress I can get done on my time but I work second shift so I usually have about 3 hours a day to myself, and that's usually catching up on youtube and winding down and I generally dedicate my days off to chores or hanging with family so it'll be a pretty long wait. I'd love for someone who's got some experience with the mission creator take this on as I don't believe (based on my limited experience with the mission builder) that the basics of the mission would be difficult. It would be the simulation of events that may take some clever tinkering (see posts in thread I linked to for some Ideas I threw into the ring).

Thanks guys,

shoe7ess

I've decided to dedicate at least one "event" or node a night (at least) excluding extenuating circumstances. I'd like to hear your ideas on how to simulate parts of this mission. Obvious a time limit will have to be placed to not just keep it within the limit of the mission but I can't think of a way of simulating life support (excluding mods) besides a time limit (if possible I may set time limits for certain actions to take place, whether it be transferring crew to the LEM for "life support" or what-have-you). I have no idea what is really possible with the mission builder and what my limits will be versus ideas I have to simulating important events so any and all ideas would be very helpful (*queue the 'you have my axe' speeches*?)

Thanks!

-shoe7ess

• 2 weeks later...

Updates!!!! :D

• Craft now compatible with 1.4.2
  • Craft's staging is now correct
  • Action groups 1-10 are now set and in order from shedding the fairings on S3 for docking all the way to shedding the CM service bay for parachute deployment on the way back (strongly suggest using them as they make things way easy if used at the right time [they're in chronological order of use])

Last update may be a launch tower. If so I'd likely go with a pre-fab from Kerbal X if I can, but the part limit is so high already that I may leave this in the maybe column. As far as the actual mission goes I've got everything set up until orbit (so in other words, the easy bits, including the center engine cut-off at a certain altitude that attempts to ape where it cut-off on Apollo 13 as much as possible).

Again, craft file is at:
https://kerbalx.com/shoe7ess/KSA-Saturn-V-Making-History-Expansion-Realistic-TWR-Values

Edited by shoe7ess

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.