KSP 1.4.2 won't run at all on my Macs

I tried downloading version 1.4.2 on my MacBook laptop (a couple of days ago) and my Mac Pro desktop (just now), under OSX 10.12 (Sierra).

However, when I try running the program on either one, I get the same result: the usual black screen (and switch to the in-game mouse cursor image), and then nothing. The screen just stays black. No progress bar, no Squad logo, no funny pictures of kerbals, no witty descriptions of what's loading. I can still switch back to Finder with command-tab, and I can still quit with command-Q, but the game never moves on beyond the black screen. I've tried leaving it running in this state for over an hour, and nothing changes.

This surprised me a great deal, because 1.4.1 worked just fine (if a little slow). Any idea what's going on?

2 hours ago, AbacusWizard said:

The 1.4.2 version does not seem to have created a ksp.log file at all.

Since the program started, this means that it crashed early before starting to log, and after initiating the graphics mode (what's a fail, since they missed the chance to log what happened now).

I don't think that reinstalling the thing would fix anything - this happened twice in two computers. Or there's something different from what's expected on your two computers, of the package you have is corrupted and you have to redownload it.

If you use Steam, there's something that you must remember: these guys, and I don't have a clue why, wrote the Steam tool dependent of a Case Insensitive file system, and there's a plugin on the KSP they provide that fire it up. So, even by Mac KSP itself working fine on a Case Sensitive HPS, the Steam plugin, perhaps, may be the reason your KSP is crashing. Check your two Mac's file system case configuration, before we start a more troublesome troubleshooting!

By the way, I'm tested 1.4.2 on my Mac Mini mid 2011 running MacOS 10.12.6 without problems. (I running Steam, and created a disk image with a case insensitive file system just for it)

4 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Clear out your entire directory and reinstall completely.

I have tried deleting the entire directory, re-downloading the zip file, and re-installing. Tried restarting the computer; tried running KSP while no other programs were open. Still gets the same result every time: it goes to a black screen, turns the mouse pointer into the KSP-specific mouse pointer graphic... and then doesn't proceed to the usual progress bar and loading screen images. It respond to command-tab and command-Q, but doesn't produce a log file.

I am using the non-Steam version downloaded directly from the KSP store.

That is really really strange, and you have just killed any idea I might have for you. So here is some random ideas that are way out of the ballpark.

1. You sure you got the MacOS version? Not windows? (Dumb question I know, figured we may as well get that out of the way)

2. Is your Antivirus doing or saying anything about KSP downloads or anything? (I have no clue about macs really this is a guess) 

Thats as far as I can help. =/ Good luck.

After thought after looking at the store. You said you downloaded the ZIP file. Assuming you checked that you got the Mac version, have you tried using the .pkg installer? That may help. 

JEB MAYBE!

*Insert Shrug Emoji* 

Edited by Mark Kerbin

3 hours ago, AbacusWizard said:

Yeah, it's definitely the Mac version--if it were the Windows version it wouldn't even be recognized as an executable program.

I'll try downloading the .pkg file and see if that makes any difference.

As i said, i know next to nothing about macs.

Good luck !

I am running it on my Mac heavily modded as well. I think the problem might be isolated to your computer or something that might be installed wrong. Ever since they started using the most recent version of unity its running better than it ever has on my computer. It has yet to crash and I am using more mods then I have been able to use since .22.

Well, so we have to use the troublesome troubleshooting after all. You will need to provide such information to Squad in order to allow them to diagnose the problem (assuming that we don't diagnose it ourselves) and fix it.

I'll assume you know squat about command line and UNIX tools - forgive me if I'm too much verbose and/or patronizing.

1) Open Finder in the directory where KSP.app is.
2) Right click on the KSP.app, select "Show Package Contents"
3) Right click the "MacOS" folder, select "Services" and then "New Terminal at folder"
4) type:
4.1)  "pwd" and hit ENTER
4.2)  "ls -l" and hit ENTER
4.3)  "./KSP" and hit ENTER

Wait the program to crash and make a screenshot of the terminal window. With luck, this *can* lead us to the problem.

I attached a screenshot of mine (that works) to example you what to expect:

eHUGIGgy8zd95UPEDYNiKP-QMzPgva2p2Mq09JIz

40 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

As i said, i know next to nothing about macs.

Good luck !

To tell you the true, I have WINE installed on my Mac. So, when I double click an .EXE file, it runs. :-)

Or used to run, since my upgrade to Sierra, things don't work anymore. It's probably some glitch that can be fixed, but I didn't bored to diagnose yet.

Another option to try: open the Mac Console program (search for "Console" in the Finder if you're unfamiliar with it) and then try to run KSP. After it hangs and you exit out of it, search the system logs from within Console for any messages related to terms like "Unity", "KSP", "Kerbal", "Steam", etc. 

You should find any number of entries across various system logs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.