[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

11 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

If set up properly, the mothership can be configured as a portable base.  You can fly in, have all the converters and extractors you need, and set up permanent facilities. Then fly to the next location without having to pack everything up again. Heck, once I get the transporter working, all you need to do is beam down (more like use a wormhole) kerbals and finished goods while beaming up raw materials. It just takes a portable transporter room, something like Pathfinder ‘s Pipeline but more powerful and movable.

Star Trek style? Eyes on Google Android 8.1

3 hours ago, RocketScientist said:

Star Trek style? Eyes on Google Android 8.1

Kerbal style. Check out Pathfinder’s Pipeline mass drivers for an idea of how it works. Unlike Star Trek you need a vessel on the ground to receive the resources and items.

31 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Kerbal style. Check out Pathfinder’s Pipeline mass drivers for an idea of how it works. Unlike Star Trek you need a vessel on the ground to receive the resources and items.

Makes sense, looking forward to seeing how it works!

9 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Made some progress today:

hJp3Aaq.png

Got most of the mesh gaps worked out, and built a new engine sound for the mothership out of royalty-free sounds. This is the combined engine running and engine power effect: http://www.spellflight.com/KSP/ExcaliburEngine.wav

Imagining what these parts would look like with tweak scale. :D 

14 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

No sounds from TNG Enterprise. I did find a sound that's similar to the original Jupiter 2 ship though. :)

Ok, the low repeating drone would sound like the warp core ambient if the play back was sped up.

Stranded Kerbals on the Mun, playing with monthly budgets and kerbal construction time. 30 days away from my next funds injection, and no funds to build anything. all I've got is one pre-built unlaunched flapjack and an old Mun transfer stage rocket docked in orbit at Space lab 2. Do I wait 30 days for funds and build something that can safely make the trip [which would probably take another 30 days or more after that to build] to rescue my guys, or do I play risky? Oh yeah, we're not going to wait to save these guys.

PMoP5cs.jpg

KkqoJ9g.jpg

0iNdZcs.jpg

Now.... I just need to get my guys to the landing zone. which is like 40 Km away from where they are. Fortunately I have a couple of rovers on the Mun right now. Farlands Voyager Mk2 is too far south to be of any use right now, but the abandoned Farlands Voyager can be remote controlled to pick my guys up and get them to their ride home. going to have to wait till morning, since it lacks the Nuclear reactor of the Mk2, but we'll get these Kerbals home.

I'm having so much fun with this mod. can't wait for those mothership parts to play around with too. Keep up the amazing work @Angel-125!

wqns1iF.jpg

Edited by vardicd

@vardicd Glad you’re having fun with the mod. :) I should have another update as early as tonight. It will have some IVA and docking port updates courtesy of @MOARdV as well as some test parts for the mothership. Those parts aren’t done by any stretch of the imagination and absolutely subject to change. There is a lot of work to do on them..

19 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

@vardicd Glad you’re having fun with the mod. :) I should have another update as early as tonight. It will have some IVA and docking port updates courtesy of @MOARdV as well as some test parts for the mothership. Those parts aren’t done by any stretch of the imagination and absolutely subject to change. There is a lot of work to do on them..

Excellent. Sadly i'll miss out on the IVA updates probably. the Raster prop dependency causes bugs with another mod I use. {I don't remember which mod off the top of my head. I've been having this issue with RPM for well over a year, and so far no update has fixed it. I re-downloaded it to try when I first downloaded the saucer mod, but instantly got the lag spikes that made KSP unplayable.} So all the IVA props aren't there in the saucer, sadly I don't get to enjoy it. ;.;:/

33 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Excellent. Sadly i'll miss out on the IVA updates probably. the Raster prop dependency causes bugs with another mod I use. {I don't remember which mod off the top of my head. I've been having this issue with RPM for well over a year, and so far no update has fixed it. I re-downloaded it to try when I first downloaded the saucer mod, but instantly got the lag spikes that made KSP unplayable.} So all the IVA props aren't there in the saucer, sadly I don't get to enjoy it. ;.;:/

RPM isn't required for the IVA - only MAS is.  If you're having lag spikes, please let me know.  I've tried to reduce overhead of using MAS during the last two releases, so if MAS v0.20.1 is still a problem, I'd like to hear about it so I can see what I can do to improve it.

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

RPM isn't required for the IVA - only MAS is.  If you're having lag spikes, please let me know.  I've tried to reduce overhead of using MAS during the last two releases, so if MAS v0.20.1 is still a problem, I'd like to hear about it so I can see what I can do to improve it.

Okay, Strange I could have sworn I remembered reading raster prop was a requirement for the mod, and I have assumed it meant for the cockpit props, but perhaps I misunderstood. I'm not entirely certain what MAS is, or encompasses, what it does, or if i'll have a problem with it. I know with Raster Prop, I've always had a reaction issue with one of my core, must have mods, and I don't recall now what mod it is off the top of my head. I sat down once a long time ago loading a clean version of Kerbal and raster adding one other mod at a time, removing it and then trying the next, repeating till I found the culprit, and what ever other mod it was, just the 2 of them in a game with no other mods, the game would lag so bad I'd only get handful of frames a second. it was horrid. I remember I had reported the issue, but it wasn't fixable, or they never got around to it, or something. I'll download MAS and give it a try, let you know if I have any problems. {just checked the front page, Raster isn't listed anymore, but I swear it was there. Guess it got replaced by MAS? Or maybe I'm crazy?}

Edited by vardicd

29 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Okay, Strange I could have sworn I remembered reading raster prop was a requirement for the mod, and I have assumed it meant for the cockpit props, but perhaps I misunderstood. I'm not entirely certain what MAS is, or encompasses, what it does, or if i'll have a problem with it. I know with Raster Prop, I've always had a reaction issue with one of my core, must have mods, and I don't recall now what mod it is off the top of my head. I sat down once a long time ago loading a clean version of Kerbal and raster adding one other mod at a time, removing it and then trying the next, repeating till I found the culprit, and what ever other mod it was, just the 2 of them in a game with no other mods, the game would lag so bad I'd only get handful of frames a second. it was horrid. I remember I had reported the issue, but it wasn't fixable, or they never got around to it, or something. I'll download MAS and give it a try, let you know if I have any problems. {just checked the front page, Raster isn't listed anymore, but I swear it was there. Guess it got replaced by MAS? Or maybe I'm crazy?}

Originally RPM was required, just for the HUD. @MOARdV graciously took care of that. :) Now you only need MOARdv Avionics Systems (and ASET props and ASET Avionics) along with Near Future Props.

Speaking of which, KFS 0.3.0 is now available:

- Flapjack IVA upgraded (WIP) courtesy of MOARdv :) NOTE: You'll need MOARdv Avionics Systems 0.20.1 or later.
- Added new S-4 Excalibur parts category.
- Added test parts for the S-4 Excalibur mothership. THESE ARE UNDER DEVELOPMENT AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. Think of these parts like in the old days where aerospace companies used to make mockups.

47 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Originally RPM was required, just for the HUD. @MOARdV graciously took care of that. :) Now you only need MOARdv Avionics Systems (and ASET props and ASET Avionics) along with Near Future Props.

That's sweet. Already downloaded MAS, and it seems to function without the lag spikes that Raster gave me, so that's a plus.

@Angel-125 Not sure, may have a bug for you, or maybe I'm doing something wrong, but here's a video of it. When you try and build vertical launch flapjack designs, the crew cabins sometimes refuse to go a certain way. Does not happen in the SPH. Also seems that the IVA for the crew cabin becomes detatched from the actual part when this occurs.:

Fw6ohCF.jpg

gIvLKsC.jpg

This also seems to happen if you build it in the SPH and then save and load it in the VAB. Not sure why.

Edited by vardicd

12 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Speaking of which, KFS 0.3.0 is now available:

- Flapjack IVA upgraded (WIP) courtesy of MOARdv :) NOTE: You'll need MOARdv Avionics Systems 0.20.1 or later.
- Added new S-4 Excalibur parts category.
- Added test parts for the S-4 Excalibur mothership. THESE ARE UNDER DEVELOPMENT AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. Think of these parts like in the old days where aerospace companies used to make mockups.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!

8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

@vardicd that is because of the symmetry fix that I did to fix orientation of parts that are attached to the hull of the craft. Not sure how to solve your issue and fix the part attach symmetry as well.

@Angel-125 oh. I hadn't realized you put in a fix for the symmetry bug. We'll have to add that to the list of strange things {like fuel cells} not working in my game. {unless the issue in the video below isn't the issue you're referring too.} This is the latest build with the placeholder mother ship parts, and when I updated I deleted the old version folder and re-installed clean, so if this is what you're referring too, I have no clue why it wouldn't be working for me, but then again, I have no idea why the stock fuel cells were broken either? {Unless somehow in one of your updates, the fix for symmetry got broken somehow? but you'd need someone else to verify that?}

Edited by vardicd

2 hours ago, vardicd said:

@Angel-125oh. I hadn't realized you put in a fix for the symmetry bug. We'll have to add that to the list of strange things {like fuel cells} not working in my game. {unless the issue in the video below isn't the issue you're referring too.} This is the latest build with the placeholder mother ship parts, and when I updated I deleted the old version folder and re-installed clean, so if this is what you're referring too, I have no clue why it wouldn't be working for me, but then again, I have no idea why the stock fuel cells were broken either? {Unless somehow in one of your updates, the fix for symmetry got broken somehow? but you'd need someone else to verify that?}

I'm not having any problems with symmetry with the flapjack. The only parts I have symmetry problems with is the Excalibur parts, which should be expected. The only real problem I have is the dozen popup tip windows. 

I see your problem now... if you use the passenger cabin as the root leading part, the symmetry for that part gets messed up. That messes up the symmetry for the rest of the parts it turn. 

Edited by shdwlrd
Third time the charm...

2 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

I'm not having any problems with symmetry with the flapjack. The only parts I have symmetry problems with is the Excalibur parts, which should be expected. The only real problem I have is the dozen popup tip windows. 

I see your problem now... if you use the passenger cabin as the root leading part, the symmetry for that part gets messed up. That messes up the symmetry for the rest of the parts it turn. 

Well that's one possibility, but in the video I posted it was the flapjack cockpit that was the root part, not the passenger cabin. I'm reasonably sure there wasn't even passenger cabins on that craft, only the cockpit, 2 cargo bays, 2 flapjack fuel tanks and the engine mount. It may very well be fine for everyone else, and only broken for me. I've got a mod, or combo of mods that's breaking things, even stock things. I discovered the other day that none of the stock fuel cells, nor any of the mod fuel cells that used an exact copy of the stock fuel cell's module code worked. I had to make alterations to the stock config files, and all mod parts not working, to get them to function. It may very well be the same situation with this symmetry fix.