[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

Something was nagging me about the texturing over the weekend, so...

0gAb2Uu.png

Now the Excalibur is starting to look more in the same family as the smaller Flapjack. The next KSP isn't until sometime next year, and I'm on track to finishing the mothership by end of this year...

Edited by Angel-125

13 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

The next KSP isn't until sometime next year, and I'm on track to finishing the mothership by end of this year...

It would seem like perfect timing... if mods for KSP1 were going to be compatible with KSP2. 

Edited by shdwlrd
Clearing up my thought

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

It would seem like perfect timing... if mods for KSP1 were going to be compatible with KSP2. 

My understanding is that at best I can reuse the artwork but everything else is suspect. I won’t need to port my other mods (MOLE, DSEV, Pathfinder, etc.) to KSP 2 given the direction of the new game. Not sad, I built those mods to make up for what the current game lacked. But the flying saucers might find a home in KSP 2 depending upon how much changes..

46 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

My understanding is that at best I can reuse the artwork but everything else is suspect. I won’t need to port my other mods (MOLE, DSEV, Pathfinder, etc.) to KSP 2 given the direction of the new game. Not sad, I built those mods to make up for what the current game lacked. But the flying saucers might find a home in KSP 2 depending upon how much changes..

I can see flying saucers in the new KSP.  Parts will seem easy to port over, but who knows what changes will have to be made for any code used. Too early to tell at this point anyway.

59 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

I can see flying saucers in the new KSP.  Parts will seem easy to port over, but who knows what changes will have to be made for any code used. Too early to tell at this point anyway.

Yeah. I fully expect to rewrite the plugins.

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

I like, but I think it would look cleaner with the Flapjack docked if the Flapjack was recessed flush with the rest of the Excalibur. 

The problem is with how docking works in KSP. A recessed saucer’s docking port would be buried and inaccessible. I have a part in the planning document that is a cradle for the Flapjack. It solves the problem. Also, once the mothership’s cargo bays are done, you’ll be able to fit a Flapjack inside.

Edited by Angel-125

56 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The problem is with how docking works in KSP. A recessed saucer’s docking port would be buried and inaccessible. I have a part in the planning document that is a cradle for the Flapjack. It solves the problem. Also, once the mothership’s cargo bays are done, you’ll be able to fit a Flapjack inside.

I understand the whole "that would be cool, but KSP doesn't allow it or it won't work the way you would expect" thing. :) I was thinking of if someone decided to use the Flapjack as a bridge module for the Excalibur. It would look better, that's all.

Personally I would be using the cargo bays as hangers to avoid adding external docking ports to the Excalibur.  

Oh, since I'm thinking of it. I have a couple questions regarding the gravitic engine.

What do the keys mean for the throttle/thrust curve?

When setting up a model, which thrust type do I use, engine or RCS? (I'm figuring the standard engine, but I'm asking just to be clear.)

I would give you the module names, but I'm at work and can't look it up.

30 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

I understand the whole "that would be cool, but KSP doesn't allow it or it won't work the way you would expect" thing. :) I was thinking of if someone decided to use the Flapjack as a bridge module for the Excalibur. It would look better, that's all.

Personally I would be using the cargo bays as hangers to avoid adding external docking ports to the Excalibur.  

Oh, since I'm thinking of it. I have a couple questions regarding the gravitic engine.

What do the keys mean for the throttle/thrust curve?

When setting up a model, which thrust type do I use, engine or RCS? (I'm figuring the standard engine, but I'm asking just to be clear.)

I would give you the module names, but I'm at work and can't look it up.

Same here, at work. For the gravitic engine, use standard engine thrust transforms. The engine config has everything commented, hopefully it will help. That thrust transform is just to placate the stock engine module; it actually generates a uniform acceleration based on the vessel’s current control point. Keep in mind that the plugin is in alpha and subject to change.

I think, at last, I've got a baseline hull texture that I like:

irs0ccy.png

NmWgMjq.png

Vz4VQhY.png

There is still more to do, such as detailing the plasma vents and adding decals and weathering, but it's finally got the right look. :) Once I get that done, I can start working on other parts like the cockpit, science labs, and such.

Edited by Angel-125

Looks crazy awesome.

Out of curiosity: the Flapjack is supposed to dock with Excalibur - and, apparently, it's spot is on top of the bigger flying saucer, right? How exactly will that work as Flapjack has no proper spot for a docking port on its bottom? Something tells me that sticking the CLAW on top of Excalibur is not the way to go.

Edited by NHunter

2 hours ago, NHunter said:

Looks crazy awesome.

Out of curiosity: the Flapjack is supposed to dock with Excalibur - and, apparently, it's spot is on top of the bigger flying saucer, right? How exactly will that work as Flapjack has no proper spot for a docking port on its bottom? Something tells me that sticking the CLAW on top of Excalibur is not the way to go.

A few posts up I mentioned that the Flapjack would look better if it was flush. Here's Angel-125's response to that "The problem is with how docking works in KSP. A recessed saucer’s docking port would be buried and inaccessible. I have a part in the planning document that is a cradle for the Flapjack. It solves the problem. Also, once the mothership’s cargo bays are done, you’ll be able to fit a Flapjack inside."

So there is a special part planned for docking the Flapjack. Also the cargo bays for the Excalibur are going to be huge. You should be able to park a couple in there and not worry about it.

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@Angel-125 I finally have to chime in to say how awesome this is. Do you have any plans for parts to make the mothership work as a Star Trek-style saucer section?

Anyway, great work, and I look forward to the eventual full release!

Thanks! :) It is taking longer than expected but it’s getting there... Right now I don’t have plans to turn the mothership into a Star Trek saucer section. I am focused on getting the baseline parts done first. If I do make Trek parts they would be in an optional download pack. I am drawn to the NX-01 and the mothership is inspired by it, but I could see more traditional looking pieces as well...

Edited by Angel-125

GoCUbPJ.png

fXYoiix.png

Texturing is definitely inspired the NX-01, and the gravity tech is based on Mass Effect. The problem with 1960s flying saucers is that they were very monotone..

The name tag is configurable separately from the flag decal. Out of the box you'll have a couple of options..

Edited by Angel-125