[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

And there she is:

GzUaK8y.png

PyrLMZr.png

Now to finish up the detailing on the inside of the parts. Once that's done I can start making the other parts like the cockpit, science lab, and so on. They'll be variations of these storage sections, giving the ship a unique look.

Edited by Angel-125

Started working on the cockpit. The window is JJ Abrams Star Trek big...

G1LIjxl.png

u2Y8cbM.png

OCkaZhA.png

QWMKCVW.png

iCPZN1k.png

The outer sections are two decks tall, so there's plenty of room in the cockpit for a briefing room, bathroom, storage, and so on. You'll be able to move kerbals around as well for RP/story purposes.

The exterior model is about where I'd like it; it needs a crew hatch and I'm considering adding some headlights up front. It might also be cool to have some kind of running light so you can light up the name plate.

Anyway, my focus is on completing the cockpit, both exterior and IVA, and then create the landing legs. That way players can have at least a "tramp light freighter" to play with while I get the other parts done...

Planned outer sections include:

Cockpit
Science Lab
Machine Shop
Crew Quarters
Greenhouse
Disco Bar

Edited by Angel-125

Awesome, though the panorama window looks a bit strange after Flapjack and its multi-part windows.

Would it be too much to ask for a boarding ramp for Excalibur? - something that would let us board the kerbals into the FS without any need for ladders even when it is sitting on deployed landing legs.

And, any chance of you making landing legs for Flapjack? You could maybe give them an offset pair of attachment nodes (in the same spot) so that it attached to the top node of Flapjack's core and allows immediate attachment of docking port / whatever atop of it.

Edited by NHunter

1 hour ago, NHunter said:

Awesome, though the panorama window looks a bit strange after Flapjack and its multi-part windows.

Would it be too much to ask for a boarding ramp for Excalibur? - something that would let us board the kerbals into the FS without any need for ladders even when it is sitting on deployed landing legs.

And, any chance of you making landing legs for Flapjack? You could maybe give them an offset pair of attachment nodes (in the same spot) so that it attached to the top node of Flapjack's core and allows immediate attachment of docking port / whatever atop of it.

Yup, that's a design change. The Flapjack is the "alien hybrid" technology demonstrator, while the Excalibur is the advanced tech mothership. The S-4 is at the end of the tech tree while the A-51 is first unlocked at the midpoint, so it has more advanced transparent aluminum windows.

For the S-4, the landing legs will double as boarding ramps, similar to the classic Jupiter 2. Time permitting I'll add legs to the Flapjack as well.

Edited by Angel-125

20 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

The outer sections are two decks tall, so there's plenty of room in the cockpit for a briefing room, bathroom, storage, and so on. You'll be able to move kerbals around as well for RP/story purposes.

Cockpit = Command Bridge? I can see a multi level bridge. Command crew on one level, and "other" stations on the other level.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:36 AM, shdwlrd said:

Cockpit = Command Bridge? I can see a multi level bridge. Command crew on one level, and "other" stations on the other level.

Basically, yeah. Due to the shape of the saucer, you need a couple of decks for the command cockpit. I'm currently planning on a "half deck" for the helm station, for instance.

Also, I'm giving some more consideration for a KFS Galaxy Trek addon pack for when I get done with the main pack. Some inspiration comes from renown artist Peter Drolet:

Spoiler

pierre-drolet-copernicus-pierre-drolet.j

pierre-drolet-uss-jefferies-02-pierre-dr

Parts inspired by these images might go well with the mothership...

13 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Basically, yeah. Due to the shape of the saucer, you need a couple of decks for the command cockpit. I'm currently planning on a "half deck" for the helm station, for instance.

Also, I'm giving some more consideration for a KFS Galaxy Trek addon pack for when I get done with the main pack. Some inspiration comes from renown artist Peter Drolet:

Hide contents

pierre-drolet-copernicus-pierre-drolet.j

pierre-drolet-uss-jefferies-02-pierre-dr

Parts inspired by these images might go well with the mothership...

Figuring out how to break apart a "Federation" style starship but to keep the parts interchangeable is a really tricky puzzle. It's solvable, but how much variation do you want to allow for kit bashing?

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Figuring out how to break apart a "Federation" style starship but to keep the parts interchangeable is a really tricky puzzle. It's solvable, but how much variation do you want to allow for kit bashing?

I’ll have to answer that when I get to that point... For the warp engine, I do have some ideas in mind that’ll let you do things with more LEGO like parts in addition to the S-4’s custom warp engine...

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I’ll have to answer that when I get to that point...

I've been entertaining the thought since you released the Flapjack. Too many nights staring at my collection of ST ships, mentally tearing them apart, and figuring what parts would be Lego enough to add to the game.

This week I've been working through the cockpit IVA:

uQFa1UX.png

Here you can see it's multi-level and has a LOT of room. You can see the Flapjack cockpit IVA for reference. At the bottom left is the airlock, and the wedge-shaped wall to the right is the captain's ready room. Below deck will be a large briefing room. You'll be able to transfer crew between seats with an upcoming transfer utility...

I plan on having several stations up front on the lower half-deck (where the Flapjack IVA currently is), a holographic chart table to the left next to the airlock, and possibly other stations as well.

10 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

This week I've been working through the cockpit IVA:

uQFa1UX.png

Here you can see it's multi-level and has a LOT of room. You can see the Flapjack cockpit IVA for reference. At the bottom left is the airlock, and the wedge-shaped wall to the right is the captain's ready room. Below deck will be a large briefing room. You'll be able to transfer crew between seats with an upcoming transfer utility...

I plan on having several stations up front on the lower half-deck (where the Flapjack IVA currently is), a holographic chart table to the left next to the airlock, and possibly other stations as well.

Looks fantastic! I wait in anticipation...

*like*

On 9/19/2019 at 10:56 AM, shdwlrd said:

Sucks that the reactions aren't working. That's a ton of space, are you using the whole internal area for the bridge?

Yes. Lots of space to spread out. Under the half-deck up front is space for storage. I was going to say space for the flight computers but a section of the particle accelerator is up front too and would cause issues. So part of the lower deck will need a computer room. But there is plenty of space for it. Maybe the portside stairway leads to the computer room, and the starboard stairway leads to the briefing room.

You might be wondering about that particle accelerator...

LNXGL23.png

https://github.com/Angel-125/Blueshift-Kerbal-FTL/issues/1

On 9/19/2019 at 7:36 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

Looks fantastic! I wait in anticipation...

*like*

Thanks!

Edited by Angel-125

11 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Ah! I see, you’ve got the captain’s ready room and briefing room...very Star Trek!

Thanks! Star Trek is certainly one of the influences, the other being Mass Effect (Graviolium is my analog to Eezo..) Quick update today, but here's another influence from Mass Effect:

icjthbH.png

Seat count is now up to 19! I don't expect every seat to be filled; I'm planning on a seat swap utility so you can move your kerbals around for story purposes..

20 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

I'm seeing a need for a good number of crewmembers. I hope the number isn't too large.

PS. Liking how the IVA is turning out.

Thanks! It’s definitely getting there. I need to add railings and then drop it into the game to test the seating arrangements. Then I get to prep the model for texturing. Since my free time continues to be limited, the bulk of that work will happen next weekend.

I still want to finish the mothership by end of the year... The cockpit is definitely one of the difficult IVAs, but some of the others should be easier. I already have the props for the disco bar made, for instance.

Edited by Angel-125