[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

@Angel-125 you might want to have a look at your 0.7.0 release of KFS on Github
The 0.7.0 release package indicates version 0.6.15 and includes BARIS
The 0.7.0 tag and master branch indicate version 0.6.16.  It <appears> that this is 0.7.0 and you just didn't update the version file

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

On 8/21/2022 at 10:23 AM, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 you might want to have a look at your 0.7.0 release of KFS on Github
The 0.7.0 release package indicates version 0.6.15 and includes BARIS
The 0.7.0 tag and master branch indicate version 0.6.16.  It <appears> that this is 0.7.0 and you just didn't update the version file

Done.

• 1 month later...

Kerbal Flying Saucers 1.0 is now available:

- Added gravitic engine 3D model needed for Buffalo 2 support.

Given the announcement for KSP 2 today, and my goal to finish Buffalo 2 and retire from modding KSP 1 by the end of the year, I've made the hard decision to not complete the Excalibur mothership. Buffalo 2 is simply taking too much time to complete. But at least the Flapjack has been completed for months now, and it's fully functional. :)

Will a version of Kerbal Flying Saucers appear in KSP 2? You bet! The parts will be different, but the concepts will carry over to the new game.

@Angel-125 not sure what is going on with the gravatic in KFS 1.0.  When in VTOL/HOVR, I'm essentially unable to change the orientation of the vessel with QWASDE keys.  While in FWD mode - no problem. 

It didn't appear there was a delta with WildBlueTools, KerbalActuators, or CSR so I didn't up date those.  I've confirmed that KFS 0.7.1 with B2 1.4 works properly.  Another oddity is the patches that load.  For me, here is what I've got with the only difference being KFS 1.0 vs 0.7.1

KFS 0.7.1:  4382 patches

KFS 1.0: 4295 patches

Big disparity.  What isn't loading?

14 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angel-125 not sure what is going on with the gravatic in KFS 1.0.  When in VTOL/HOVR, I'm essentially unable to change the orientation of the vessel with QWASDE keys.  While in FWD mode - no problem. 

It didn't appear there was a delta with WildBlueTools, KerbalActuators, or CSR so I didn't up date those.  I've confirmed that KFS 0.7.1 with B2 1.4 works properly.  Another oddity is the patches that load.  For me, here is what I've got with the only difference being KFS 1.0 vs 0.7.1

KFS 0.7.1:  4382 patches

KFS 1.0: 4295 patches

Big disparity.  What isn't loading?

There was a bug where, if you put the ship in hover mode and tap on the brakes, the craft would slowly lose altitude. The fix I have keeps the vessel in place. I may have to revisit that and figure out why it slowly sinks.

44 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

There was a bug where, if you put the ship in hover mode and tap on the brakes, the craft would slowly lose altitude. The fix I have keeps the vessel in place. I may have to revisit that and figure out why it slowly sinks.

Placard.  Brake use prohibited when in hover mode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After watching @EJ_SA's Kraken-powered Grissom stream, I've thought about one more KFS update with a 3.75m drive (based on the existing 2.5m engine) that can pull hundreds of gees to let you go fast through the solar system, to a max of 99.99% of light speed due to relativity limitations. It would be a prototype for what I'd like to do in KSP 2...

• 3 weeks later...

I think this pack is really awesome but I'm struggling to make a VTOL A-51 work. Seems like the basic weight of a saucer with only LF, just the Avro hoverjet installed with no landing legs or anything seems to somehow be 9774kg while somehow the XA-51 is 7884kg with everything installed? Is that because the XA-51 was designed with different resource mods?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 11:03 AM, Ooglak Kerman said:

@Angelo Kerman I'm sure it's right in front of me, but where is the toggle to turn off the terrain warning in crazy mode for the gravatic drive?

There currently isn't one, I'd have to add it.

Before that though, Kerbal Flying Saucers 1.0.2 is now available:

- Fixed issue where gravitic RCS effects would play when the vessel isn't the active vessel.
- Fixes for Wild Blue Tools.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kerbal Flying Saucers 1.1.0 is now available:

- Gravitic engines will no longer accelerate a vessel past 99.99% of light speed.
- Added "Boost Mode" to WBIGraviticEngine. Boost Mode is only available when a vessel is orbiting, sub-orbital, or on an escape trajectory. When enabled, Boost Mode increases acceleration- and fuel consumption- by a factor specified by the boostModeModifier. The default is 10, meaning that when enabled, Boost Mode will consume 10x the propellants and also multiply max acceleration 10x.

• 3 weeks later...

Since the license on my previous 3D program ran out at the end of last year, I've been on a 3D modeling break for a few months, but I've had the goal of learning Blender this year. Last couple of days I took the first few steps in that direction. This is just me noodling around, but I thought it might be worth a look. This is based on the Mk2 form factor. While not as sleek as the existing craft, it does give more options for combining parts.

MXDPnvz.png

OukZut6.png

UDHUw1W.png

More doodling/learning. Below are some cross-sections. I learned how to use the measuring tool today.

aoDOZPs.png

Top: Mk2-S (tentative name) cross-section, 8.75m-diameter saucer.
Middle: Typical B2 IVA cross-section.
Bottom: Mk2-S cross-section, 7.5m-diameter saucer.

I think the 7.5m saucer would have enough floor space for IVAs.

Here is another doodle, this one prototyping how the gravitic engine would look on a 7.5m-diameter saucer:

u9wqK9N.png

The rotating section would have more glowing bits on it. I'm using a higher-resolution for this Mk2-S, potentially something like what you'd see in KSP 2, but perhaps a lower-resolution version of the gravitic engine would be possible for KSP 1.

The Flapjack was originally a proof-of-concept craft that I created to determine if modular, saucer-shaped craft could be built and flown in KSP 1. While the Mk2-S is a project that I'm using to learn Blender, it could potentially turn into a new saucer part set. If so, then the Mk2-S would essentially be a Restock version of the Flapjack. The Mk2-S would have the same stats as the Flapjack, but employ a new shape that lets it integrate with Mk2 parts and leverage the art experience that I gained since making the original. I don't plan on making adapters to go between the Mk2-S and the Flapjack (it was made in a 3D program that I no longer have the license for). I also don't see the Mk2-S artwork as a drop-in replacement for the Flapjack since the Mk2-S is slightly larger. If the Mk2-S ends up as a new part set, I could either retire the original Flapjack parts or let the Flapjack and the Mk2-S work side by side.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi @Angelo Kerman !
I've been working on a MAS remake of the S4 IVA in flying saucers, when finished, would you want this integrated ? As you've already a MAS IVA for this mod : )

Some quick pics :

c4IpET9.png

Spoiler

LUoYdnA.png

7EFC2HT.png

Also added NFprops decoration in the meeting rooms downstairs : )

Also, I'm having an issue with nice galaxy display, for some reason it appears like if it had a wrong shader set up, I have no visual mods, just a test install, did you encounter this before ?
D5ueXjb.png
Cheers and thank you :) 

EDIT : That's an intersting one, this rendering issue was caused by... FreeIVA ? Since I added its modules to the part/internal, I tried removing them just in case, and the issue is gone, the galaxy is displaying normally...
EDIT next : it's because it uses KSP/Alpha/Translucent, and thus freeIVA thinks it's a window : )
EDIT 3 : I solved this by adding a depthmask over the windows and referencing in the FreeIVA internal module, so that FreeIVA stops looking for object using alpha shaders. : )

However, I noticed the galaxy animation stopped after a while, is it possible to make it looping instead of being one play ? thx :) 

Edited by kurgut