[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

xScience needs to exclude the K2 experiment. It is designed to take time to complete while standard experiments are run instantly. I think xScience already excludes other experiments..

I'm pretty sure it does, if I recall correctly there was another science mod I used that I had a similar issue with, and after reporting it to the mod author, he got in touch with the xscience makers and they were able to come to some arrangement about changing the mod. I know KEI also had issues for a while with doing illegal/not allowed science around the KSC that had to be adjusted too.

As I mentioned before, Kerbal Flying Saucers isn't done yet. I've released an alpha version, meaning it isn't done yet, the design is still in flux, and things are subject to change. One of those changes I'm working on is how gravitic hover mode works. My initial concept was to essentially hack gravity, but just for the saucer. The idea was that you'd turn on Hover Mode, and it would negate the planet's gravity, making the saucer weightless. That was a really tough nut to crack at first and I ended up applying a counter-force to the saucer. That led to all kinds of problems where a craft would flip as if on a pendulum as it raised above the ground. Today, thanks to a lot of research and a little help from @sarbian's Modular Flight Integrator, I did this:

The concept is workable, now I just have to refine it...

22 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Love the pics! :) For the Refinery in Sandbox, try opening the window and turning on timewarp. See if it accumulates.

I'll give it a try, let you know what happens. :)

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

As I mentioned before, Kerbal Flying Saucers isn't done yet. I've released an alpha version, meaning it isn't done yet, the design is still in flux, and things are subject to change. One of those changes I'm working on is how gravitic hover mode works. My initial concept was to essentially hack gravity, but just for the saucer. The idea was that you'd turn on Hover Mode, and it would negate the planet's gravity, making the saucer weightless. That was a really tough nut to crack at first and I ended up applying a counter-force to the saucer. That led to all kinds of problems where a craft would flip as if on a pendulum as it raised above the ground. Today, thanks to a lot of research and a little help from @sarbian's Modular Flight Integrator, I did this:

--SNIP--

The concept is workable, now I just have to refine it...

I remember a mod from the .21 days that did the same thing. (Gravity drive or something like that.) It would do the same thing you're describing. It's cool that you figured out how to control that. But without operational limits, it was a very dangerous thing to use. I broke KSP many times do to that mod.

Ugh, worked fine yesterday, now I've hit a bug and it won't load. Freezes at loading the hydroscoop on the loading screen. Tried deleting the MM congif cache, no good. Last relevant-sounding bits in the log:

[ERR 22:26:33.134] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

[WRN 22:26:33.136] Could not create PartResource of type 'Lead
[LOG 22:26:33.142] PartLoader: Part 'WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers/Parts/Flapjack/wingTank/wbiA51WingTank' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 22:26:33.145] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers/Parts/Science/K2Supercomputer/K2Supercomputer/wbiK2Supercomputer'
[LOG 22:26:33.179] PartLoader: Part 'WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers/Parts/Science/K2Supercomputer/K2Supercomputer/wbiK2Supercomputer' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 22:26:33.185] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'wbiK2Supercomputer'
[LOG 22:26:33.215] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers/Parts/Utility/Hydroscoop/hydroScoop/wbiHydroScoop'
[ERR 22:26:33.219] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

[WRN 22:26:33.228] Could not create PartResource of type 'IntakeLqd
[LOG 22:26:33.237] PartLoader: Part 'WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers/Parts/Utility/Hydroscoop/hydroScoop/wbiHydroScoop' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 22:26:33.243] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'wbiHydroScoop'
[EXC 22:26:33.262] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ModuleResourceIntake.GetInfo ()
	PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (.AvailablePart newPartInfo, .Part part)
	PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator1.MoveNext ()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

Full log here.

Bare game, just this mod and it's dependencies as per the OP, tho I am getting an AVC message about one of the props being out of date (wrong KSP version, needs mod version 3.3 I think).

Gamedata for good measure:

RbXxrXg.png

@Angel-125

13 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Ugh, worked fine yesterday, now I've hit a bug and it won't load. Freezes at loading the hydroscoop on the loading screen. Tried deleting the MM congif cache, no good. Last relevant-sounding bits in the log:

---snip---

@Angel-125

I haven't seen this problem, but I did notice at some point last night all the interactive screens in the saucer, which had been working fine, stopped being interactive, and I could no longer control things in the IVA. not a big deal for me, since I don't usually fly that way, but it was a thing.

@Angel-125 On the subject of mods that cheat your K2 computer experiment, I discovered the KEI mod gives free science for it as well.

U8VbfSW.jpg

If you're planning to talk with Z-Key Aerospace or whoever is maintaining xscience these days about hiding the k2 experiment, you'll probably want to get in touch with RealGecko, or the current maintainer of KEI

to see if something can be arranged to hide the experiment from that mod as well.

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

[ERR 22:26:33.134] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

[WRN 22:26:33.136] Could not create PartResource of type 'Lead
[LOG 22:26:33.142] PartLoader: Part 'WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers/Parts/Flapjack/wingTank/wbiA51WingTank' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 22:26:33.145] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers/Parts/Science/K2Supercomputer/K2Supercomputer/wbiK2Supercomputer'
[LOG 22:26:33.179] PartLoader: Part 'WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers/Parts/Science/K2Supercomputer/K2Supercomputer/wbiK2Supercomputer' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 22:26:33.185] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'wbiK2Supercomputer'
[LOG 22:26:33.215] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers/Parts/Utility/Hydroscoop/hydroScoop/wbiHydroScoop'
[ERR 22:26:33.219] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

[WRN 22:26:33.228] Could not create PartResource of type 'IntakeLqd
[LOG 22:26:33.237] PartLoader: Part 'WildBlueIndustries/FlyingSaucers/Parts/Utility/Hydroscoop/hydroScoop/wbiHydroScoop' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 22:26:33.243] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'wbiHydroScoop'
[EXC 22:26:33.262] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ModuleResourceIntake.GetInfo ()
	PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (.AvailablePart newPartInfo, .Part part)
	PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator1.MoveNext ()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

Full log here.

Bare game, just this mod and it's dependencies as per the OP, tho I am getting an AVC message about one of the props being out of date (wrong KSP version, needs mod version 3.3 I think).

Gamedata for good measure:

RbXxrXg.png

@Angel-125

What is in your WildBlueIndustries folder?

There are two resources that come from ClassicStockResources that are missing: Lead and IntakeLqd. It looks like the parts are failing because of that.

KFS 0.2.1 is now available:

- Improved the gravitic engine's ability to propel asymmetric craft designs. Aero forces still apply.
- Gravitic engine now bases "forward" on the vessel control point. As an example, forward could be respective to a cockpit or a docking port. VTOL lift is unaffected.
- Excluded experiments from KEI.
- Potentially excluded experiments from [x]Science! Needs testing...
- Fixed issue with tool tip window appearing multiple times.
- Added additional tool tips.

13 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

What is in your WildBlueIndustries folder?

There are two resources that come from ClassicStockResources that are missing: Lead and IntakeLqd. It looks like the parts are failing because of that.

Installed the update, and so far it's working again. :D My absolutely not Enterprise is actually going straight and level in more or less the right direction, too. VTOL's not quite right yet, but I think you mentioned that.

Not gonna try restarting the game right now, I think I'll let it run accelerating at 4g overnight and see where it ends up. :confused:

10 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

KFS 0.2.1 is now available:

- Improved the gravitic engine's ability to propel asymmetric craft designs. Aero forces still apply.
- Gravitic engine now bases "forward" on the vessel control point. As an example, forward could be respective to a cockpit or a docking port. VTOL lift is unaffected.
- Excluded experiments from KEI.
- Potentially excluded experiments from [x]Science! Needs testing...
- Fixed issue with tool tip window appearing multiple times.
- Added additional tool tips.

I will download the new version and test later tonight on both the xscience and KEI fronts to let you know if I discover any continuing issues with those.

Okay, @Angel-125 so far, not so good, downloaded the new update, deleted the old version from my pc and installed the new version. booted game, and:

p0W0yh3.jpg

ybbhHbn.jpg

Still seeing reverse engineering reports for both xscience, and KEI. Restarted after clearing the MM cache, just because. still seeing the experiments. tried starting a new career, because maybe a saved game issue:

ctxWcuH.jpg

AM0o6PI.jpg

Brand new career, with the k2 modded to be available at start level tech, still see reverse engineering experiment in KEI and xscience.

Sadly new version does not seem to have fixed these issues, at least on my end. :( 

I even went back and deleted the mod and re-installed a second time to be sure I hadn't just installed the older version again by accident. still no joy seeing the experiments in both a game in progress and a new career.

Edited by vardicd

On 5/31/2018 at 12:35 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Ugh, worked fine yesterday, now I've hit a bug and it won't load. Freezes at loading the hydroscoop on the loading screen

I also see this bug, FWIW.  I selected the "Pristine Mode" at the dialog in the Space Center, and next time I load the game, there's a hang on the hydro scoop.

EDIT: This is with the freshly-downloaded KFS 0.2.1 + dependencies, MAS, and a couple of other unrelated mods used for MAS development.

Edited by MOARdV

9 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Installed the update, and so far it's working again. :D My absolutely not Enterprise is actually going straight and level in more or less the right direction, too. VTOL's not quite right yet, but I think you mentioned that.

Not gonna try restarting the game right now, I think I'll let it run accelerating at 4g overnight and see where it ends up. :confused:

VTOL being "not quite right" can be affected by a number of things including aerodynamics and insufficient SAS. Better torque will help.

8 hours ago, vardicd said:

Okay, @Angel-125 so far, not so good, downloaded the new update, deleted the old version from my pc and installed the new version. booted game, and:

Still seeing reverse engineering reports for both xscience, and KEI. Restarted after clearing the MM cache, just because. still seeing the experiments. tried starting a new career, because maybe a saved game issue:

Brand new career, with the k2 modded to be available at start level tech, still see reverse engineering experiment in KEI and xscience.

Sadly new version does not seem to have fixed these issues, at least on my end. :( 

I even went back and deleted the mod and re-installed a second time to be sure I hadn't just installed the older version again by accident. still no joy seeing the experiments in both a game in progress and a new career.

I'll remove my patches then. It sounds like xScience and KEI need to fix things on their end.

2 hours ago, MOARdV said:

I also see this bug, FWIW.  I selected the "Pristine Mode" at the dialog in the Space Center, and next time I load the game, there's a hang on the hydro scoop.

EDIT: This is with the freshly-downloaded KFS 0.2.1 + dependencies, MAS, and a couple of other unrelated mods used for MAS development.

Try the default Classic Stock mode, see if you have the problem then.

3 hours ago, MOARdV said:

I think I know what's going on. When you load up Pristine mode, the resource definition for IntakeLqd is disabled. I should have a fix for that later this weekend.

16 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I think I know what's going on. When you load up Pristine mode, the resource definition for IntakeLqd is disabled. I should have a fix for that later this weekend.

I was just about to post - yes, setting it to default Classic Stock fixes the issue.

Two other bugs ... when I used the GUI in the Space Center to switch from Pristine to Classic Stock, I saw an NRE:

[LOG 11:20:18.286] [WBIPlayModeHelper] - Modes found: 4
[LOG 11:20:32.164] [WBIPlayModeHelper] - SetPlayMode called for mode: Classic Stock
[EXC 11:20:32.178] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	WildBlueIndustries.WBTAppButton.changePlayMode (System.String modeName)
	WildBlueIndustries.PlayModesWindow.drawOkCancelButtons ()
	WildBlueIndustries.PlayModesWindow.DrawWindowContents (Int32 windowId)
	WildBlueIndustries.Dialog`1[T].PreDrawWindowContents (Int32 windowId)
	UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
	UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

Also, after loading the Flapjack in Flight, I had a couple NREs pop up when I started the resource converters:

[EXC 11:26:57.950] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	WildBlueIndustries.ModuleBreakableConverter.StartResourceConverter ()
	WildBlueIndustries.WBIModuleResourceConverterFX.StartResourceConverter ()
	BaseEvent.Invoke ()
	UIPartActionButton.OnClick ()
	UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke ()
	UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke ()
	UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press ()
	UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()
[EXC 11:27:02.469] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	BaseEvent.Invoke ()
	UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData)
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor)

There was a similar one when I stopped the converters, as well (just firing in StopResourceConverter).  Full log of the Flight NREs on DropBox. (the mode change NRE was a previous session, and I didn't set the log aside)

One other bug  - I configured one of the wing tanks to hold Propellium, Graviolium, and Electric Charge.  I  then alt-clicked it and placed the copy of it on the vessel (and then did that two more times, for a total of 4 tanks).  The three cloned tanks all had LF/O (their default resources) in addition to the resources I configured them to hold.

6 hours ago, MOARdV said:

I was just about to post - yes, setting it to default Classic Stock fixes the issue.

Two other bugs ... when I used the GUI in the Space Center to switch from Pristine to Classic Stock, I saw an NRE:

[LOG 11:20:18.286] [WBIPlayModeHelper] - Modes found: 4
[LOG 11:20:32.164] [WBIPlayModeHelper] - SetPlayMode called for mode: Classic Stock
[EXC 11:20:32.178] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	WildBlueIndustries.WBTAppButton.changePlayMode (System.String modeName)
	WildBlueIndustries.PlayModesWindow.drawOkCancelButtons ()
	WildBlueIndustries.PlayModesWindow.DrawWindowContents (Int32 windowId)
	WildBlueIndustries.Dialog`1[T].PreDrawWindowContents (Int32 windowId)
	UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
	UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

Also, after loading the Flapjack in Flight, I had a couple NREs pop up when I started the resource converters:

[EXC 11:26:57.950] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	BaseEvent.Invoke ()
[EXC 11:27:02.469] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	BaseEvent.Invoke ()

There was a similar one when I stopped the converters, as well (just firing in StopResourceConverter).  Full log of the Flight NREs on DropBox. (the mode change NRE was a previous session, and I didn't set the log aside)

One other bug  - I configured one of the wing tanks to hold Propellium, Graviolium, and Electric Charge.  I  then alt-clicked it and placed the copy of it on the vessel (and then did that two more times, for a total of 4 tanks).  The three cloned tanks all had LF/O (their default resources) in addition to the resources I configured them to hold.

Thanks for the info. I've got most of these resolved except for the duplicated wing tank issue. That'll take a bit more..

@Angel-125 Not... entirely sure what happened here... things got weird and then exploded, lots of NRE spam. Posting the log in case you might find it useful, but it's probably my own absolutely not intentionally breaking the game... :blush: 

KSP was running for a good while, so... 36 mb file. Had to alt+F4, so weirdness is right at the end.

ETA: oh, and then there was the part in the middle where poor Val had been unconscious for some time, going about 1,000km/s, I turned off infinite fuel, and the darn thing just kept on accellerating...

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

@Angel-125 I did have one question about the k2 supercomputer experiment, that I'm unclear on, and forgive me if it was clarified somewhere and I missed it. Is it supposed to be runnable anywhere, and ONLY give you the possibility of unlocking saucer tech if used next to a crashed saucer, or is it ONLY supposed to be runnable at a crashed saucer?

Quote: "The only caveat is the Kray Kray supercomputer. It's as expensive as an SSME, but there's a small chance that you'll achieve a breakthrough and unlock parts in one of the alien tech tree nodes- but only if you're running its experiment next to a crashed flying saucer. The K2 is conveniently the size of the Buckboard 1000... "

43 minutes ago, Puggonaut said:

I dunno as soon as a you give a Kerbal a Flying Saucer this happens...................

Dang Kommies/Krussians. You can count on them to have a ticket (or be selling the tickets) for this kind of party. :rolleyes:

....Planet mod? I really like what you did there.

Edited by JadeOfMaar