[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

3 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Maybe science parts? @Angel-125.

Actually, I have that covered:

e4HBzal.png

It has some bugs but it does work.The @Kuzzter Industries K2 "Kray Kray" supercomputer has to be run next to a crashed flying saucer. It gives science like any other experiment in the game. It also has a small chance to unlock experimental versions of saucer parts before you unlock the node. It works like the stock game's part testing contracts, where you have to test something like a rocket engine or lab or something, but you haven't unlocked the node that the part is in yet. With enough effort you might unlock the 4 nodes before you get through the tech tree...

Trivia: In the lore of my mods, Kuzzter Industries is an electronics powerhouse. They make everything from the kPad (there is a part in game called the kPad if you have KIS installed) to DSEV's Kuzzter Industries' Three Thousand, Emergency Multipurpose Hologram, Mobile Emitter, to the flatscreen monitors. The company is named in after one of my favorite KSP fan fiction authors. :)

Edited by Angel-125

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Trivia: In the lore of my mods, Kuzzter Industries is an electronics powerhouse. They make everything from the kPad (there is a part in game called the kPad if you have KIS installed) to DSEV's Kuzzter Industries' Three Thousand, Emergency Multipurpose Hologram, Mobile Emitter, to the flatscreen monitors. The company is named in after one of my favorite KSP fan fiction authors. :)

Awww, thanks @Angel-125! If only I'd had these parts last year, Wernher's Fliegenstrudel might have looked quite a bit different :) 

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Trivia: In the lore of my mods, Kuzzter Industries is an electronics powerhouse. They make everything from the kPad (there is a part in game called the kPad if you have KIS installed) to DSEV's Kuzzter Industries' Three Thousand, Emergency Multipurpose Hologram, Mobile Emitter, to the flatscreen monitors. The company is named in after one of my favorite KSP fan fiction authors.

Oh, man... I forgot about this!!! I'm gonna have some serious fun with this little forgotten gem in my next chapter... lmao.... :sticktongue:

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

In mine, he's the lead tracking officer and is very skilled at his job!

23 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Join the club.

Been following Angel since the KSOS mission reports and I hecked my computer by accident a few months back and can't afford a new one- I've got a notebook that allows me to do work and play Democracy or the Legend of Korra video game, nothing more. I can't even play KSP but I'm super invested in these mods because he's head and shoulders above any other parts modder on the forums

This is as close to the Coanda effect as I can get in KSP:

BZHVY0S.png

2zUn5Bk.png

z0SztIN.png

On the plus side, the AVR0's engine controller is able to dynamically adjust the thrust nozzles so that VTOL thrust is always applied at the craft's center of mass. This is just like the gravitic engine...

Anyway, the AVR0 is inspired by this:

1200px-Colour_avrocar_59.jpg

Now the Flapjack lets you make saucers inspired by the Avrocar, the lenticular re-entry vehicle:

LRV.jpg

... and of course classic alien flying saucers. :)

I'm just down to the bug fixes at this point. :)

Chewing through the bugs today, I finally got the gravitic engine flameout and flameout recovery issues crushed. I also just fixed a problem where Crazy Mode won't disengage when you go sub-orbital. And, Crazy Mode is now tied to the throttle setting, which means you can warp around the world for longer if you don't go full throttle:

ag0nsjW.png

Here you can see the saucer "flying" around but without any thrust. Think of it as a low-powered warp engine or as a sophisticated Vessel Mover. Crazy Mode works best when you're in Hover Mode, but it'll work with normal flight as well.

Edited by Angel-125

6 hours ago, Falco01 said:

In other words an impulse engine if i'm not wrong :p

Not according to startrek.com...

http://www.startrek.com/database_article/impulse-drive

Propulsion system used aboard spacecraft for travel at subwarp speeds, employing traditional Newtonian action-reaction thrust physics. Full impulse speed is about one-quarter light speed, sufficient for interplanetary travel. Aboard Federation starships, fusion reactors power the engines using deuterium fuel to create helium plasma. Overload of an impulse engine on the damaged U.S.S Constellation, a Constitution-class starship, was once rated at 97.835 megatons.

Crazy Mode moves the vessel without kerbal physics. It is essentially a low powered warp drive, creating a ripple in space-time that the saucer surfs. If you look carefully, the saucer is rapidly moving up but its velocity remains zero. No kerbal physics involved, just repositioning the craft.

I've ironed out the bugs with the gravitic engine at last! :)

Also, here is a video tutorial that shows you how to use Crazy Mode:

Oh, and just one more thing:

Kerbal Flying Saucers Initial Public Pre-Release is now live! Download it here.

For future reference, the link to the releases is here.

This is the initial public alpha release. It supports KSP 1.4.x. Alpha means the mod isn't done yet, parts are subjected to change, things aren't necessarily play-balanced yet, and there are bound to be bugs. But with that said, it's playable.

Please do your part and provide constructive feedback!

You can help by telling me what works well and what I might consider to improve. Please don't just tell me that some feature is lousy, suggest how it could be improved as well.

NOTE: Graviolium is supposed to be a rare resource and hard to get. You can mine it from asteroids, collect minute amounts in orbit, buy some from the Refinery, and find GoldStrike deposits if you have Pathfinder loaded.

Bug Reporting: Please don't just say "xxxx is broken." I need detailed steps to reproduce the issue as well as logs.

CKAN is not supported! It completely borks my mods.

If you want to say thanks for the mod, post your screenshots of using the flying saucers. :)

Happy saucer flying! :)

Here I am on 1.3.1, just trying it out, and I believe I found a bug. On 1.3.1 the VTOL Controller button does nothing. The Refinery seems to work, however.

I will now remove all mods except KFS and dependencies, and provide logs form that run.

13 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Here I am on 1.3.1, just trying it out, and I believe I found a bug. On 1.3.1 the VTOL Controller button does nothing. The Refinery seems to work, however.

I will now remove all mods except KFS and dependencies, and provide logs form that run.

It is for 1.4, not 1.3.1.  Says so in the title