[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a weird bug where the engines should be working fine (they consume fuel and everything), but don't push the spacecraft at all no matter what I try.

Mods (I know, I have too many):

Spoiler

000_AT_Utils
000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_FilterExtensions
000_FilterExtensions_Configs
000_TexturesUnlimited
000_USITools
001_ToolbarControl
999_KSP-Recall
AirPark
AnimatedDecouplers
B9PartSwitch
BetterTimeWarp
CameraTools
CapsuleCorp
ChopShop
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
ConfigurableContainers
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
DeployableEngines
DynamicBatteryStorage
EasyVesselSwitch
EditorExtensionsRedux
ESLDBeacons
ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads
FarFutureTechnologies
Firespitter
FMRS
FShangarExtender
GPOSpeedFuelPump
HeatControl
HullCameraVDS
JanitorsCloset
JDSA
KAS
kerbal heatshield
KerbalAtomics
KerbalEngineer
KerbalFlightIndicators
KerbalFoundries
KerbalReusabilityExpansion
Kerbaltek
KerbetrotterLtd
KFC
KIS
kOS
KSP-AVC
KSPWheel
Kunedo
ManeuverNodeEvolved
MarkIVSystem
MechJeb2
MechJebForAll
MechTech
MiningExpansion
Mk3Expansion
ModularLaunchPads
NearFutureAeronautics
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureExploration
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
NeatherdyneMassDriver
Omicron
OPT
OPT_Reconfig
PartCommanderContinued
PlanetaryBaseInc
PWBFuelBalancerRestored
RecoveryController
RetractableLiftingSurface
SpaceDust
SpaceTuxLibrary
Squad
SquadExpansion
StagedAnimation
StationPartsExpansionRedux
SystemHeat
TrackingStationEvolved
Trajectories
TundraExploration
TundraTechnologies
TweakScale
UmbraSpaceIndustries
UniversalStorage2
Waterfall
WildBlueIndustries(Blueshift,KFS,ABARISBridge,WildBlueTools,KerbalActuators)
XyphosAerospace
ZeroMiniAVC

My test ship was just a "Flapjack" command module, an engine, a gravity wave generator, and 4 cargo modules. The "Acceleration" stat on the engines stays at 0.

EDIT:Strange, it's working now. It appears that I needed to turn on crazy mode?

Edited by MoonstreamInSpace

Second Question: how do I use Crazy Mode without accelerating? It seems that, as long as the engine is on, if I throttle up to use crazy mode, it also accelerates the ship, which is not what I want.

Also, seems that gravity engines need a secondary engine to get off the ground before I can fly. Is this supposed to happen?

16 hours ago, MoonstreamInSpace said:

Second Question: how do I use Crazy Mode without accelerating? It seems that, as long as the engine is on, if I throttle up to use crazy mode, it also accelerates the ship, which is not what I want.

Also, seems that gravity engines need a secondary engine to get off the ground before I can fly. Is this supposed to happen?

You shouldn't need any other engines with the gravitic engine. How are you controlling it? Are you using the UI? Are you using direct throttle? Are you using the PAW?

Edited by shdwlrd

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 3:24 PM, MoonstreamInSpace said:

I'm having a weird bug where the engines should be working fine (they consume fuel and everything), but don't push the spacecraft at all no matter what I try.

Mods (I know, I have too many):

Reveal hidden contents

000_AT_Utils
000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_FilterExtensions
000_FilterExtensions_Configs
000_TexturesUnlimited
000_USITools
001_ToolbarControl
999_KSP-Recall
AirPark
AnimatedDecouplers
B9PartSwitch
BetterTimeWarp
CameraTools
CapsuleCorp
ChopShop
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
ConfigurableContainers
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
DeployableEngines
DynamicBatteryStorage
EasyVesselSwitch
EditorExtensionsRedux
ESLDBeacons
ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads
FarFutureTechnologies
Firespitter
FMRS
FShangarExtender
GPOSpeedFuelPump
HeatControl
HullCameraVDS
JanitorsCloset
JDSA
KAS
kerbal heatshield
KerbalAtomics
KerbalEngineer
KerbalFlightIndicators
KerbalFoundries
KerbalReusabilityExpansion
Kerbaltek
KerbetrotterLtd
KFC
KIS
kOS
KSP-AVC
KSPWheel
Kunedo
ManeuverNodeEvolved
MarkIVSystem
MechJeb2
MechJebForAll
MechTech
MiningExpansion
Mk3Expansion
ModularLaunchPads
NearFutureAeronautics
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureExploration
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
NeatherdyneMassDriver
Omicron
OPT
OPT_Reconfig
PartCommanderContinued
PlanetaryBaseInc
PWBFuelBalancerRestored
RecoveryController
RetractableLiftingSurface
SpaceDust
SpaceTuxLibrary
Squad
SquadExpansion
StagedAnimation
StationPartsExpansionRedux
SystemHeat
TrackingStationEvolved
Trajectories
TundraExploration
TundraTechnologies
TweakScale
UmbraSpaceIndustries
UniversalStorage2
Waterfall
WildBlueIndustries(Blueshift,KFS,ABARISBridge,WildBlueTools,KerbalActuators)
XyphosAerospace
ZeroMiniAVC

My test ship was just a "Flapjack" command module, an engine, a gravity wave generator, and 4 cargo modules. The "Acceleration" stat on the engines stays at 0.

EDIT:Strange, it's working now. It appears that I needed to turn on crazy mode?

If flying saucers uses Fusion pellets instead of propelium when you have blue shift installed, and blueshift uses liquid deuterium instead of fusion pellets when you have far future Technologies installed, what does flying saucers use when you have blue shift and fft installed?

I feel like it could cause some form of resource conflict.

I have the same problem where the gravity engine doesn't work unless it's powered by a blue shift gravimetric displacement generator.

And I have flying saucers, blue shift and fft

On 12/31/2021 at 10:57 AM, Clancythecat said:

If flying saucers uses Fusion pellets instead of propelium when you have blue shift installed, and blueshift uses liquid deuterium instead of fusion pellets when you have far future Technologies installed, what does flying saucers use when you have blue shift and fft installed?

I feel like it could cause some form of resource conflict.

I have the same problem where the gravity engine doesn't work unless it's powered by a blue shift gravimetric displacement generator.

And I have flying saucers, blue shift and fft

Make sure that the resource mode on the stand-alone gravitic engines is set to the proper resource. The latest update should help.

KFS 0.6.7 is now available:

- WBIGraviticEngineGenerator now has a defaultMode field that's used when you have more than one RESOURCE_MODE.
- The GND-00 "Beta" Gravitic Engine and GND-02 "Quantum" Gravitic Engine default to Fusion Pellets if Blueshift is installed.
- The GND-00 "Beta" Gravitic Engine and GND-02 "Quantum" Gravitic Engine now support Liquid Deuterium if Far Future Technologies (FFT) is installed. It is the default resource mode when FFT is installed, even if Blueshift is installed.
- The Gravitic Fusion Reactor can now be stored in stock inventories.
- The Gravitic Fusion Reactor replaces its Propellium requirement with Fusion Pellets when Blueshift is installed.
- The Gravitic Fusion Reactor replaces its Propellium requirement with Liquid Deuterium when Far Future Technologies is installed. This happens even if Blueshift is installed.
- Added support for Community Category Kit.

@Angel-125,

I may have said this before in another thread, but some people may want to use KFS without classic stock. for this, maybe remove propellium entirely and include a resource definition for fusionpellets?

Also, even in CRP mode, DSEV's Trinity need explodium, which is only in classic stock. This could be solved by having a resource definition for explodium if calssic stock is not installed.

On 12/22/2021 at 1:42 PM, shdwlrd said:

You shouldn't need any other engines with the gravitic engine. How are you controlling it? Are you using the UI? Are you using direct throttle? Are you using the PAW?

I'm just using the Flight Operations menu and throttle, I can't seem to get the Grav engine to just take throttle control for crazy mode.

1 hour ago, MoonstreamInSpace said:

I'm just using the Flight Operations menu and throttle, I can't seem to get the Grav engine to just take throttle control for crazy mode.

Ok. The throttle for crazy mode is related to the amount of power that is fed into the engine. Higher the throttle, the less time you can spend zooming around in crazy mode. You can't directly control crazy mode with the throttle. (It really isn't necessary anyway, the gravitic engine will provide enough acceleration to easily escape Eve's gravity well.)

Also crazy mode has an altitude and collision restrictions. If you're too low or will collide into the terrain, crazy mode won't work, or won't get the range you're expected. 

i cant seem to get any of the grav engines to work, it always shows the gravitywaves fuel as being really low and running out instantly, i also cant seem to find any parts containing propellium, or any reference to it outside of decription text, did i miss a dependancy?

1 hour ago, Don0303 said:

i cant seem to get any of the grav engines to work, it always shows the gravitywaves fuel as being really low and running out instantly, i also cant seem to find any parts containing propellium, or any reference to it outside of decription text, did i miss a dependancy?

I've met the GravityWaves issue actually, and I'm not sure how to, if I resolved that (aside from using infinte fuel cheat). Perhaps it's a fault of the resource mode function of the generator module. Perhaps this is how the module responds to Propellium being undefined because you have only this mod installed and it won't have Propellium's resource definition.

Install WildBlueTools. Then you will have access to the WBI Buckboards parts (KIS-ish boxes with OmniStorage) which can be set to Propellium (and nearly anything else that you want). Be mindful of their stock inventory ratio slider. You'll have no fuel space if you leave it at the default (all space is inventory). They don't have a set category so you must use the search bar to get to them.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I've met the GravityWaves issue actually, and I'm not sure how to, if I resolved that (aside from using infinte fuel cheat). Perhaps it's a fault of the resource mode function of the generator module. Perhaps this is how the module responds to Propellium being undefined because you have only this mod installed and it won't have Propellium's resource definition.

Install WildBlueTools. Then you will have access to the WBI Buckboards parts (KIS-ish boxes with OmniStorage) which can be set to Propellium (and nearly anything else that you want). Be mindful of their stock inventory ratio slider. You'll have no fuel space if you leave it at the default (all space is inventory). They don't have a set category so you must use the search bar to get to them.

for some reason the Buckboards parts arent doing anything, they have storage space but the "reconfigure storage" button isnt doing anything, luckily just putting a blueshift warp drive in the craft seems to generate enough waves

4 hours ago, Don0303 said:

for some reason the Buckboards parts arent doing anything, they have storage space but the "reconfigure storage" button isnt doing anything, luckily just putting a blueshift warp drive in the craft seems to generate enough waves

Do you have Blueshift installed? If so then you should be using fusion pellets instead of propellium. In any case you need a gravitic generator and it has a slot for either the fusion reactor or the SAFER reactor to power it.

19 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Do you have Blueshift installed? If so then you should be using fusion pellets instead of propellium. In any case you need a gravitic generator and it has a slot for either the fusion reactor or the SAFER reactor to power it.

thats engines and such usable now, still seems theres some issue with omnistorage as all the storage parts are entirely empty and wont reconfigure

5 hours ago, Don0303 said:

thats engines and such usable now, still seems theres some issue with omnistorage as all the storage parts are entirely empty and wont reconfigure

Are you getting any errors? Omnistorage is working just fine for me in KSP 1.2.3.

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Are you getting any errors? Omnistorage is working just fine for me in KSP 1.2.3.

none that i can find, i see the option to reconfigure, clicking it just doest seem to do anything, something may be up with my current game though bc tweakscale also doesnt do anything

• 1 month later...

I've been experimenting with the "GND-01 Quantum" engine.  Progress is slow.  I have gotten it to hover my ship but making it work with the main throttle isn't happening yet.

I'm using it in fusion pellet mode and it appears that the gravatic engine needs to get "booted up" by the S2 "Planets Edge" Warp Core on the ship.  On the surface or in orbit, it is not self-sufficient until it gets bootstrapped.

I'm really looking to use this as a "ye olde chem rocket" replacement for a warp ship and as such, I'm looking to just make it work with minimum of fuss using the main throttle.  Any how-to's out there on this?

Huhh... now, I built a test ship to try this.  It's got all the things needed, but just won't take off from resting.

Here's my test ship.  As you can see, there is no crazy mode toggles.  It appears that you have to get it off the ground first.  Putting it on launch clamps, turning hover mode and releasing makes everything start to work.  What's missing?

VO7LXTK.png

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

3 hours ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

I've been experimenting with the "GND-01 Quantum" engine.  Progress is slow.  I have gotten it to hover my ship but making it work with the main throttle isn't happening yet.

I'm using it in fusion pellet mode and it appears that the gravatic engine needs to get "booted up" by the S2 "Planets Edge" Warp Core on the ship.  On the surface or in orbit, it is not self-sufficient until it gets bootstrapped.

I'm really looking to use this as a "ye olde chem rocket" replacement for a warp ship and as such, I'm looking to just make it work with minimum of fuss using the main throttle.  Any how-to's out there on this?

Huhh... now, I built a test ship to try this.  It's got all the things needed, but just won't take off from resting.

Here's my test ship.  As you can see, there is no crazy mode toggles.  It appears that you have to get it off the ground first.  Putting it on launch clamps, turning hover mode and releasing makes everything start to work.  What's missing?

VO7LXTK.png

I just tested GHS-01 Development Build and the systems are functioning correctly:

1rLZPlI.png

Based on the image you posted, I don't think you have main power activated on the Planet's Edge warp engine. Here's how it should look:

NXLt8V9.png

Here's with just the engine running, no main power:

fKt0vWH.png

And here it is with just engine and hover mode:

GZ6r5k5.png

Be sure to hit spacebar to stage the engine before use.

Hope that helps. :)

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Be sure to hit spacebar to stage the engine before use.

Hope that helps. :)

Hah.  and there it is.  Stage the bloody engine.  I knew it had to be something simple.  Now Jeb has a new toy to explode in new and interesting ways.

Mmmmm...  This opens some interesting possibilities for getting to orbit.  Straight up to warp altitude and then do a warp circularization.  Jeb's gonna love this!

Thanks!

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

To make things easier, here's 0.6.8, a Quality of Life release:

- QoL improvement: WBIGraviticEngineGenerator will force activate the part if not staged when the engine is activated through the PAW.
- QoL improvement: Added Plasma Contactor (Large), with increased discharge rates over its smaller cousin.
- QoL improvement: Upgraded discharge rates for the Plasma Contactor Module.

Ok.  Officially a game changer.  Slapped a S-2 Warp Coil onto the test ship.  Used the gravatic engine to go pretty much straight up to 700KM.  Shut down the gravatic and turned on the warp and circularized.  12 minutes game time and 0.12 graviolium consumed.

Sorting out how to actually use this to prevent another "Disaster at Vall" will be a thing, but this is gonna be fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...