[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The tech nodes are already in line with CTT. The science costs reflect the appropriate CTT tech tree tier. I've also balanced out when you get certain functionality. You won't get Crazy Mode until unlocking Gravity Wave Applications, for instance, and while the A-51 saucer parts are available mid-game, it'll be conventionally powered. Same goes for the gravitic fusion reactor- the saucer is underpowered with the SAFER reactor by design, but you get it at Gravity Wave Applications too. You'll get the mothership's FTL engine after unlocking Advanced Alien Engineering. Hence, DSEV still has a place; the Hypernova lets you reach for the stars, but it'll still take you awhile to get there.

The only caveat is the Kray Kray supercomputer. It's as expensive as an SSME, but there's a small chance that you'll achieve a breakthrough and unlock parts in one of the alien tech tree nodes- but only if you're running its experiment next to a crashed flying saucer. The K2 is conveniently the size of the Buckboard 1000...

Nice, thanks! As you might expect, I'm pretty particular when it comes to tech nodes for new parts, and generally your mods have excellent placement. I'm also a big fan of how you actually use the upgrade function.

Edited by theonegalen

3 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

I can't wait to play around with this. I do see the potential for kit bashing some federation starships with this.

While the tech behind the saucer is influenced by Mass Effect, I've thought about Trek ships too...

7e9roeT.jpg

That's one of my concept images for the mothership. The warp engine itself is in the saucer, but I've considered adding warp coil sections that store additional StaticCharge and might provide a speed boost. For a traditional saucer, you could just outfit a storage section with a warp coil template instead.

That reminds me, distances in stock solar systems are pretty small, so you probably won't need to go past light speed while traveling intra-system. I'm thinking you'll need a low gear while in system, and a high gear for interstellar travel. Not sure how that'll work and it's a ways off before I even make the FTL engine, but it's something to consider...

Another concept image:

EsAteqc.jpg

The mothership is 30m in diameter and two decks thick (room for two decks, each 1.25m tall). I think 36m is a bit much so this is scaled down a bit. Here you can see the prototype for scale; it'll dock onto the topside of the mothership and serve as the shuttlecraft.

Edited by Angel-125

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

Awesome!!! I already have plans for that Kray-kray... bwaahahahaha

I'm a ways behind in Emiko, so I don't know if my information is up-to-date, but this could finally be Thompberry's much-needed upgrade...

1 minute ago, Mrcarrot said:

I'm a ways behind in Emiko, so I don't know if my information is up-to-date, but this could finally be Thompberry's much-needed upgrade...

Possible, though i haven't caught up since Ch, 82 if there's more by now.

3 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

I'm at Chapter 89...

I will now cease this off-topic discussion before I invoke the wrath of the moderators...

14 minutes ago, Mrcarrot said:

I'm at Chapter 89...

I will now cease this off-topic discussion before I invoke the wrath of the moderators...

18 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

94 at this point in time. You're not too far behind...

But yeah, while @Angel-125 knows I'm going to use this mod a lot down the road, we should keep this discussion about the mod, and not how I'll be using it. :)

Edited by Just Jim

I've been hammering on a code challenge for a job the past couple of days, so I haven't gotten as far as I'd like. I'm kind of stuck on the mothership concepts. Here's an example:

XAuCv0C.jpg

Not really feeling it, so it's on the backburner for a bit while I get back to the prototype's cockpit IVA. The plan is to do MAS/ASET with Near Future Props for the cockpit and crew cabin. IVA's are a huge slog though, so it'll take some time..

54 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I've been hammering on a code challenge for a job the past couple of days, so I haven't gotten as far as I'd like. I'm kind of stuck on the mothership concepts. Here's an example:

XAuCv0C.jpg

Not really feeling it, so it's on the backburner for a bit while I get back to the prototype's cockpit IVA. The plan is to do MAS/ASET with Near Future Props for the cockpit and crew cabin. IVA's are a huge slog though, so it'll take some time..

IVAs are indeed a huge slog! Good luck!

8 hours ago, Sunesha said:
  Hide contents

Bill Kerman already have small training program in place.

Love it!

I have to get back to my coding challenge, but I did some more doodling this morning:

oRLrMSv.jpg

tCFID5d.png

I figure that by the time the kerbals start building their own mothership, they have a better understanding of the crashed saucers' technology and don't need to copy their shape directly..

31 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

That looks great! Maybe you could make the top bit hollow so the Flapjack is in a shuttle-bay of sorts! :D

That's sort of the plan :)  There'll be a Flapjack cradle that sits on top of the bridge module that's hollow with cutouts so that you can get to the docking port and undock. For those that don't want the cradle, there'll probably be a sensor dome with science instruments to fill in the space instead.

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

..working on it.. 1960s flying saucer, part Star Trek saucer section...

Really awesome, if you could tractor beam Kerbals that would be mindblowing. But I am happy with the manual reverse tractor beaming, after all must be a reason they gave us personal parachutes. 

Spinning is also nice saucer look. The persistent rotation mod is really awesome. 

I really psyched about this. Just love the whole silliness I could with this :wink: Also open up whole new area of designing crafts. I think it gives natural way for unbelievable technology. 

Edited by Sunesha

4 hours ago, Sunesha said:

Really awesome, if you could tractor beam Kerbals that would be mindblowing. But I am happy with the manual reverse tractor beaming, after all must be a reason they gave us personal parachutes. 

Spinning is also nice saucer look. The persistent rotation mod is really awesome. 

I really psyched about this. Just love the whole silliness I could with this :wink: Also open up whole new area of designing crafts. I think it gives natural way for unbelievable technology. 

A tractor beam is already on the books, along with a drill beam. Imagine hovering over a spot about 20m up, then turning on the drill beam to get resources. I also have a transporter on the books that uses plugin code I created for Pathfinder's Pipeline mass driver. With a corresponding transporter room somewhere on the surface, you can beam (technically, wormhole via stargate) resources, KIS items, and crew back and forth. With Pathfinder installed and set to Classic Stock play mode, one of its templates will include a transporter room. :)

In the meantime, I'm still doodling:

Pr8lbwD.jpg

Inspired by:

Round+2+Models+Polar+Lights+Enterprise+N

If I do Star Trek parts (I'm on the fence on that, maybe it'll be a summplement), I'd do something inspired by the NX-01..

Edited by Angel-125