[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

@Angel-125 I've been getting distant from KSP overall, lately, so I haven't messed around with KFS to notice this. This is quite a surprise. If indeed the Stardust uses the stock modules, then it's supposed to work fine between 300km and 1500km at Kerbin. Squad really broke something if their own module misbehaves now. On that note, I haven't used any harvester devices other than yours in space near Kerbin. (But in space near Sun seems fine :P )

Confirmed working with bug fixes:

dLCJ3vd.png

Will have an update once I put together the latest release package. Also, it's September(!) which means it's back to the mothership! My plan is still to have it done by the end of the year so that by the beginning of the next, I can work on my next project:

gqFtSCn.png

55 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

For once a large sub mod that doesn't resemble something that looks like it belongs in some countries navy. Would the seamoth or the prawn suit be included?

Wasn’t planning on either, but I do have plans for size 1parts for subs.

2 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ SEAMOTH + Prawnsuit?

The seamoth I can see for both KFS and Angel-125's sub concept. But the prawn suit would be a pita to work out. I don't see that being added.

12 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Wasn’t planning on either, but I do have plans for size 1parts for subs.

All well, there goes the vision of some flapjacks undocking from the excalibur while it's launching a flotilla of seamoths. 

Submersible, Heat Resistant, Implosion  Mitigating, Piloted (SHRIMP) suit...

It would be a pita, but just think of having a portable walking drill to mine resources with...

Not saying this will, happen, just brainstorming...

Edited by Angel-125

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Submersible, Heat Resistant, Implosion  Mitigating, Piloted (SHRIMP) suit...

It would be a pita, but just think of having a portable walking drill to mine resources with...

Not saying this will, happen, just brainstorming...

Forget drilling, using it to move heavy parts when building a base or vechile, or righting your lander after you tipped it over.

37 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Great! Will you make seamoth type things that work in space and undersea? i would LOVE THAT.

As I said, I am not saying that I will add the suit and small sub. I am just thinking about what it could do. My focus for the rest of the year is to finish the Excalibur mothership. After that we’ll see.

Kerbal Flying Saucers 0.3.8 is now available.
GitHub URL: https://github.com/Angel-125/FlyingSaucers/releases/tag/v0.3.8

Changes

- Fixes Play Mode failing to rename certain files. NOTE: You might need to reset your current play mode. Simply open the WBT app from the Space Center, choose another mode, press OK, and again open the app, selecting your original play mode. Then be sure to restart KSP.

Bug reports are finally slowing down, so I'm working on the Excalibur again. I did a review this morning of where I left off:

OgROQjU.png

876bQCe.png

The Engineering Core will have an IVA so you can check out the central gravitic displacement manifold and the fusion reactors under the lowest gangway. Elevator access is in the back. I need to decide upon the storage hull exteriors before unwrapping and creating the basic look. Lots to do!

I can't wait to see where this mod will end up going.

In the past, I didn't really use WBT mods much because, well, I didn't understand them. However, recently I've began to use Pathfinder on lite mode, and now I'm starting to incorporate Heisenburg. When I get better, I might bump it up to the full playstyle.

I love how you use KIS's SM-62 mount system for so many things, from the Ponderosa to the buckboards to the "Kray-Kray" supercomputer in this. I've always felt that the SM-62 system had a lot of potential, and they're the perfect size to fit inside the bay of the IXS warp ship's cockpit:

screenshot585.png?width=809&height=456

I feel this mod has a lot of potential. Once I finally get around to updating to 1.4.5 (still waiting for a few other mods to update to it), I'll probably end up adding KFS to my list of WBI mods. I've tried to play around with it in the past, but unfortunately the gravitic engine does not seem to work outside of VTOL mode in 1.3.1 (whenever I switch, the ship just falls to the ground without picking up any forward velocity), and to be honest it's still a bit sparse (owing to the fact that it's still WIP and in pre-release). Either way, I'm loving the looks of how its turning out.

I've been planning to use a lot of these parts in a sort of KSP story I'm working on where Kerbanity (is that what you call it?) discovers traces of and eventually makes contact with an alien race...

screenshot58.png?width=809&height=456

Like the Flapjack, I decided to keep the interior sections of the mothership parts simple to reduce the rendering burden. Here you can see the hatch arrangement, which hints at where the decks are:

eUO0rKV.jpg

I'm finding that creating usable decks in a flying saucer is a challenge, but I've shaped the Excalibur so that the outer sections will have two decks- enough space to house a Jumbo 64 fuel tank...

Now that I know the basic shape for the sections, I can unwrap them and start on the texture design. As I did with the Flapjack, I'm starting with the storage tanks. The crew areas will emerge from them. I'm looking at a pattern similar to this:

Drex+Files+Enterprise+NX-01+bright+1.jpg

but with color tones that match the stock Mk3 shuttle parts. The way I see it, the kerbals have figured out how to grow the nano-particle hull, but they can't make a large seamless hull. So instead, they make panels and fuse them together. The discolorations are the result of differences in manufacturing.

Saucer Saturday is almost done. And in that time, I've manged to get the unwrapped parts into the game, and started working on the mothership's particle effects. That has been a bear; KSP doesn't like making particle rings that are 30m in diameter. Anyway, here is what the Inner Storage Section currently looks like.

This is the default node config that supports two Outer Sections:

jCna524.png

This is the alternate config that supports one Outer Section and two Half Outer Sections:

OiArnMf.png

The mothership currently looks like a circus tent due to the reference texture I'm using, but that'll change. I'm using the Flapjack's gravitic engine until I get the mothership's engine done. You can see the plasma trails in these pics..

lXxsQQo.png

VLJerem.png