[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

39 minutes ago, ToastyOats said:

Now I just need to figure out how to farm decent amounts of Graviolium.

Trying to build a Collector in orbit is a PITA

Asteroids is the quickest method. Another method using an orbital collector is to mod a huge antenna or collector to harvest gravoilium. Do to their shear size, I've found modding the buzzard collectors to be an non cheaty way to speed up gravoilium collection.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:54 AM, shdwlrd said:

Asteroids is the quickest method. Another method using an orbital collector is to mod a huge antenna or collector to harvest gravoilium. Do to their shear size, I've found modding the buzzard collectors to be an non cheaty way to speed up gravoilium collection.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:06 AM, ToastyOats said:

@JadeOfMaar You are correct, ETT definitely buries his tech nodes.

Now I just need to figure out how to farm decent amounts of Graviolium.

Trying to build a Collector in orbit is a PITA

Don't forget that you also have the Refinery. It can produce Graviolium, though it's expensive to do so...

TZrPi9P.png

And if you're in Sandbox or Science mode, you can just load up your craft with Graviolium from the VAB/SPH. It won't vanish upon launch. That now only happens in Career.

12 minutes ago, ToastyOats said:

How in hells bells do you find crashed UFO Saucers for research? Also, can the UFO Tech be used on traditional Rockets & SSTOs?  @Angel-125

Strictly speaking, you don’t have to find the crashed saucers to do research. You can unlock the tech tree nodes with regular science. But to answer your first question, look for anomalies on the surface of planets. The stock KerbNet can do this, as can the SCANSat mod.

For your second question,  I currently don’t have plans for ufo tech in traditional stock form factors. I do plan some UFO parts for the Buffalo rover system though. Maybe if there is enough interest I can make a part or two..

Regarding their use in stock components, I don't mean stock form factor. I mean does the CoM Lift effect still effect any lifting body aside from the saucer.

Could I line the trailing edge of an SSTO's wings with static displacers and slap a couple recessed gravitic engines for their respective effects. Or is there unique coding limiting it only to the mod's lifting body saucer components.

5 minutes ago, ToastyOats said:

Regarding their use in stock components, I don't mean stock form factor. I mean does the CoM Lift effect still effect any lifting body aside from the saucer.

Could I line the trailing edge of an SSTO's wings with static displacers and slap a couple recessed gravitic engines for their respective effects. Or is there unique coding limiting it only to the mod's lifting body saucer components.

The gravitic engine works regardless of parts in the vessel. I have some YouTube videos demonstrating that. :)

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Don't forget that you also have the Refinery. It can produce Graviolium, though it's expensive to do so...

TZrPi9P.png

And if you're in Sandbox or Science mode, you can just load up your craft with Graviolium from the VAB/SPH. It won't vanish upon launch. That now only happens in Career.

Did you change something? I thought you can't add gravoilium in the editors. I haven't had a chance to play for a few weeks.

17 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Did you change something? I thought you can't add gravoilium in the editors. I haven't had a chance to play for a few weeks.

Yes. Last release I changed it so that if you’re in Career then your Graviolium must come from the Refinery. Otherwise, when money is no object, you can add Graviolium in the editor and keep it after launch.

1 hour ago, ToastyOats said:

Unless you use Crazy Mode, yes you still have to be careful of all the aero properties of your craft while accelerating. And it's perfectly okay for you to attach and clip UFO parts in non-UFO bodies, expect their normal behaviors, and get around as you expect with a pure UFO body.

15 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Yes. Last release I changed it so that if you’re in Career then your Graviolium must come from the Refinery. Otherwise, when money is no object, you can add Graviolium in the editor and keep it after launch.

Sweet :cool:

I'm going to mention this as a FYI. TCA doesn't play nice with the gravitic engine. (I kept forgetting to post it.) It causes TCA to throw NRE's.

I feel like a damn idiot for asking this, but I can't find an answer anywhere.

The Gravitic Engine itself, is it meant to be used with the Displacer? Or does it work on it's own off-of Electrical charge? I get no Right click functionality out of it in the SPH, or on the Strip. And I'm also having an issue where the Hover UI doesn't show up with any information and just stays on my screen permanently.

I feel like a damn idiot for asking this, but I can't find an answer anywhere.

The Gravitic Engine itself, is it meant to be used with the Displacer? Or does it work on it's own off-of Electrical charge? I get no Right click functionality out of it in the SPH, or on the Strip. And I'm also having an issue where the Hover UI doesn't show up with any information and just stays on my screen permanently.

Yes, the gravitic engine requires Gravity Waves, which are generated my the gravitic displacement generator. It requires both Graviolium and ElectricCharge.

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

... I currently don’t have plans for ufo tech in traditional stock form factors. I do plan some UFO parts for the Buffalo rover system though. Maybe if there is enough interest I can make a part or two..

I'd like to toss in the idea of making saucer part adapters for 2.5m, Mk2 and Mk3 form factors. It appears you *may* already have Mk2, so Mk3 and 2.5m should fill in most of the gaps for usage.

4 hours ago, ToastyOats said:

Anyone have any advice for Fuel Weight/Lead Ballast balancing on the Flapjack?

I'm not exactly sure how I could build anything other then the stock saucer. I'm having issues where Pitch Input is causing a roll

Build and balance the flapjack the exact same way you would a space plane. Use the body flaps and winglets to pull the CoL back from the CoM. The flapjack doesn't like it when you don't have any control surfaces during flight. Use the lead weights to move the CoM to the center of the engine you're using. If you're using one of the hover engines, balance the fuel load so the CoM doesn't shift much. If it still not controllable during flight, you can try insetting a stock wing segment and using it to place the wings that can with KFS. 

I think I may have killed the mod somehow.

I get no Hover Control Mode.

The gravitic engines seem to refuse to generate GravityWaves, same for the Gravimetric Displacement Generator.

Edit: Nix that, A simple reinstall of the mod fixed the issue. Now to ascertain how much "Lift" vs tonnage each engine accounts for.

Edited by ToastyOats

Is it normal for two S-4 Gravitic Engines to chew through 300 GravityWave charge nearly instantly when attempting to accelerate a roughly 300t vessel?

Or is the Gravity Wave expenditure directly related to how much "Virtual Mass" you've accounted for in equivalent gravity engines?

3 hours ago, ToastyOats said:

Is it normal for two S-4 Gravitic Engines to chew through 300 GravityWave charge nearly instantly when attempting to accelerate a roughly 300t vessel?

Or is the Gravity Wave expenditure directly related to how much "Virtual Mass" you've accounted for in equivalent gravity engines?

The number of GravityWaves needed is a function of vessel mass. The only benefit of multiple gravitic engines is faster acceleration. Each engine figures out its resource requirements individually.

Edited by Angel-125

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

The number of GravityWaves needed is a function of vessel mass. The only benefit of multiple gravitic engines is faster acceleration. Each engine figures out its resource requirements individually.

I never noticed any of the tooltips explicitly stating what the ratio of GravityWave to Vessel Mass would be. Did I miss something? I was certain I read the majority.

Edited by ToastyOats

I never noticed any of the tooltips explicitly stating what the ratio of GravityWave to Vessel Mass would be. Did I miss something? I was certain I read the majority.

There's nothing like that mentioned. Per my testing, the basic weight limit is 40 tonnes per generator. The more generators you add, the more weight you can lift. But keep in mind, if actually want to reach orbit, you need to reduce the craft weight.

Oh, the gravitic engine doesn't work the way you're thinking it works. You can add more engines, but all you really need to do is add more gravity wave generators to increase the amount of mass that single engine can lift. ;) 

Edited by shdwlrd

2 hours ago, ToastyOats said:

Now I wonder how light JadeofMaar's star trek mock up was.

It looked like they only had one S4 on that thing. I'm sitting here trying to put an OPT-K Heavy Lifter into orbit. :confused:

Probably not that heavy, I think he has it up on kerbalx if you want to check it out.

OPT-K series is on my to do list once I get back to my modded install. You'll probably need 4-6 wave generators depending on how much mass you want to send into orbit.