Courage and Stupidity

SpacedCowboy

At this point in development, it seems extremely unlikely.

Once upon a time there was likely a plan for a gameplay purpose to the stats, but it seems like that was left behind a long time ago. At this point, if a gameplay purpose for stats gets added I suspect it would be as shallow as career mode itself.

That being said, I do run a meritocratic space program: only those that excel at both stats get hired...

Some mods use the Stupidity and Courage to cause some influence on what they do.

Scientists with high Stupidity would fail a lot more on the experiments, and Pilots with high courage would endure more G's before blacking out.

I agree with Mako, I don't think Squad would implement something on it in the foreseeable future - they already have their mouths full, and there're mods that already do something with it.

I've used them in-game as hiring interview results- scientists need a low stupidity, and courage isn't that important. On the other hand, high courage and above-average stupidity are desirable in a test pilot.

I also sent a mission to Duna once with twin landers; christened Courage and Stupidity.

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Golden.

Really not sure which one I'd rather be on. 

Courage should not have parachutes because the creator decided to not put them on.

Stupidity should not have parachutes because the creator forgot to put them on.

Just my theory

8 hours ago, 0something0 said:

I thought they affected drill efficiency or was that engineer levels?

That's engineer levels.

If courage and stupidity do anything, it's affect the facial expressions of the kerbals based on what the ship's doing.  Nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2018 at 9:12 AM, suicidejunkie said:

Is the small influence on G-force resistance not a stock thing?  Or is it just the profession of the kerbal doing that?

I do notice that 2 Kerbal pilots with the same levels will have slightly different Gee tolerance. It might affect that.

1 hour ago, Not Sure said:

I do notice that 2 Kerbal pilots with the same levels will have slightly different Gee tolerance. It might affect that.

Nope.

From the KSP wiki:

Personality traits determine how a kerbonaut behaves in various flight conditions. Each kerbonaut has a random value of two personality attributes—Courage and Stupidity—that are displayed in-game. These traits affect the displayed facial expressions and gestures seen in IVA portraits and EVA, and range from delight to fear. These emotions have no effect on flight performance or Science results, and serve purely as flavor. There is a 10% chance they may also have the hidden "BadS" (an abbreviation of "badass") flag, which imposes total ignorance of both Courage and Stupidity and forces delight in nearly all situations excluding nearby explosions.

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2018 at 2:08 PM, Not Sure said:

It's a Add-On, I don't recall exactly what. Do you have Kerbalism installed? I have a (faint) memory of reading something like that there.

31 minutes ago, Lisias said:

It's a Add-On, I don't recall exactly what. Do you have Kerbalism installed? I have a (faint) memory of reading something like that there.

I  had it installed long ago but I don't think my memory of seeing the label was when I had it installed. I just remember having 2 pilots in a plane and hovering over their nametag it showed "gee force tolerance: 7.3" and "gee force tolerance: 8.5" for the other (don't remember exactly values, but I do remember they were different.) Was also in sandbox, so they were fully leveled. I should just boot up ksp and take another look.

On 4/13/2018 at 8:15 PM, Mako said:

At this point in development, it seems extremely unlikely.

I don't know, I suspect it comes in at least a little bit.  I've noticed some kerbals are *MUCH* better at EVA than others.

On 4/16/2018 at 6:12 PM, suicidejunkie said:

Is the small influence on G-force resistance not a stock thing?  Or is it just the profession of the kerbal doing that?

It is a stock thing. Only Pilot level influences it, but it's not a small influence then. For the small difference, that might be just a different unrelated trait of kerbals.

• 2 years later...
On 5/30/2018 at 11:02 AM, Corona688 said:

I don't know, I suspect it comes in at least a little bit.  I've noticed some kerbals are *MUCH* better at EVA than others.

I know I'm responding to an old thread, but I can't help remarking on this observation. I too have wondered if the traits somehow effect their EVA performance? I've noticed that, if I leave a Kerbal hanging onto a ladder while I do something else, they will randomly let go and start floating away. Early on in my career game I had to chase down a couple of Kerbals that I'd left outside, and it was NOT fun trying to locate them, even with their suit lights on. 

• 4 months later...

Responding to an old thread here (sorry!); We know that courage and stupidity affect the expression of a Kerbal, but how?

Is there code in the game to directly show how the courage and stupidity changes the expression?

Edited by intelliCom

On 6/11/2021 at 6:49 AM, intelliCom said:

We know that courage and stupidity affect the expression of a Kerbal, but how?

Is there code in the game to directly show how the courage and stupidity changes the expression?

From my experience, I came to conclusion that:

• Courage will determine how dangerous the situation is before the Kerbal start to freak out.
  • Stupidity will determine how early the dangerous situation will be detected.

(I'm not including any add'on on this equation, some add'ons do something different according with these values too).

I had watched a video on youtube where someone made some tests on what these settings does, but (damnit!) I forgot who had posted that video. Sorry.

-- post edit -- 

think that the Kerbal perception of danger is derived from the altitude and speed in which he/she is travelling. But it's only a hunch, I made no tests to verify this claim. Yet.

Edited by Lisias
post edit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.