Changing the KSP Engine

Game, Kerbal Space Program created by Squad. The game is great! Physics, space, Kerbals, but not very graphic. That's why I'd like Squad to change the graphics engine from Unity to some other one (Mainly it is about, for example, grass, no trees, empty space)

Edited by KondzioVirtual

It's been said, a bilion times already, they're not going to change the engine. 

Why? Because at this point they would have to basically rewrite the entire game.

Also, well, graphics are good as they are, and even can be improved by several mods, so where's the problem? It does not have to look like modern AAA titles.

8 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

It's been said, a bilion times already, they're not going to change the engine. 

Why? Because at this point they would have to basically rewrite the entire game.

Also, well, graphics are good as they are, and even can be improved by several mods, so where's the problem? It does not have to look like modern AAA titles.

Well put.

If they do change the engine, it will be for KSP2.

An engine change is not required to get better graphics out of KSP.  Unity is perfectly capable of current gen graphics, and supports a ton of features that simply aren't used by KSP.  The engine supports them, the game does not make use of them.

Take for example, the KS3P mod, that adds the Unity post-processing stack.  You get the newer graphical features such as bloom, depth-of-field, chromatic abberration, screen-space reflections, screen-space ambient occlusion.  Another example, TexturesUnlimited, which brings PBR shaders to KSP.  EVE brings nice volumetric clouds.  Scatterer adds proper atmospheric scattering

Combine them, and you can -already- have your 'current gen graphics' look, right in the current version of KSP (disclaimer:  you need to find mods that support TU/PBR textures to get the full effect).

(not the best screenshot, but the only one I had readily at hand)

gbnQ739.png

2 hours ago, BLN said:

You just need a NASA computer.

Not any more so than regular KSP.  Physics use the CPU, whereas higher-end graphics use (more of) the GPU.

Now saying you would need a higher-end video card might be true.  But that would be true regardless of the engine.

On 4/19/2018 at 10:05 AM, Geonovast said:

To the 3D printers!

HHHMMMMMMMMM..... *looks over at his 3d printer*....

Hmmm......

But I'm pretty dang sure if I do make the board game, It won't have an integrated Dv readout.....

On 4/18/2018 at 12:59 PM, adsii1970 said:

I'm just waiting for KSP: The Role Playing Edition (board game)

I'm naming my next DnD character Jebediah.

On 4/19/2018 at 9:05 AM, Geonovast said:

To the 3D printers!

Why not make the character's out of tinfoil? :D

40 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I'm naming my next DnD character Jebediah.

Why not make the character's out of tinfoil? :D

Um, funny you should say that. Harvester said the name "Kerbal" came from the tin foil men he and one of his children made to ride their model rockets, if I remember the story correctly...

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Um, funny you should say that. Harvester said the name "Kerbal" came from the tin foil men he and one of his children made to ride their model rockets, if I remember the story correctly...

Actually he and his brother, when they were kids :D

5 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Huh, what a coincidence! I was referencing that! Heh heh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.