Suggestion - A centered version for all rover wheels (yes, even that gigantic one that nobody uses)

Sounds like a fun idea, however to be useful there is a need for a few other things.

Motorcycles and Bikes stay stable when driving though the gyroscopic effect. This is not simulated in KSPs physics. Additionally the wheels are infinitesimal thin (for the physics calculation) making the bike even more unstable. This would have to be taken care of. Or simply use reaction wheels en masse for that :wink:

You'd also need some control to lean the bikes to the sides when steering, otherwise you will most likely miss the turn :wink:

Edited by Nils277

People already make motorcycles in game with the current wheels, I have myself.

Reaction wheels take care of balance and leaning to turn.

I'm not sure there is an actual game-play need for motorcycle style rovers though? I certainly wouldn't complain about some expanded wheel options; but I don't think it's a huge priority.

2 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

It would be great if we could have a variant of all the rover wheels that are perfectly centered like landing gear. For all your motorcycle needs!

IF only to have caster-type wheels with 180-degree steering, and a steering range you can set.

4 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Sounds like a fun idea, however to be useful there is a need for a few other things.

Motorcycles and Bikes stay stable when driving though the gyroscopic effect. This is not simulated in KSPs physics. Additionally the wheels are infinitesimal thin (for the physics calculation) making the bike even more unstable. This would have to be taken care of. Or simply use reaction wheels en masse for that :wink:

You'd also need some control to lean the bikes to the sides when steering, otherwise you will most likely miss the turn :wink:

Fair points (even considering that people already have workarounds for those issues)...however It seems that is more a request for something that looks than something that works.

And that could be used not only by Bikes but also Trikes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2018 at 10:04 AM, juanml82 said:

I'm just chiming in in defense of the gigantic rover wheels. I use them for gigantic (well, medium sized imho) refueling rovers

They're the only ones I use :P

On this topic, we do need tank treads. Maybe a way to create custom tank treads? [like placing down wheels for them and then clicking them in the order the tread passes over them?]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.