"The Potato Phase" - Conquering The First Five Tiers Of The Tech Tree In Just Six Missions!

MerlinsMaster

When you first start a new career game in KSP, do you find yourself frustrated that you have to launch several rockets before you have one that's good enough to get into orbit.  Do you dread the idea of having to grind through a bunch of boring survey or tourist contracts just to slowly progress to the point in the game in which you can consider going to the Mun or Mimnus?  Do you think to yourself as you're testing an SRB on an escape trajectory out of Kerbin, "there has to be a better way"?

The early part of a Career playthrough can be frustrating and grindy.  It's the part of the game I like to refer to as the "Potato Phase".  I don't know why I decided to call it that.  I just heard someone else call it that once, and it stuck.

Of course, you could bypass this altogether by just awarding yourself a bunch of Science and Funds in the difficulty settings when you first start a new game, but most people would, and rightly so, just consider that to be cheating.

But there's good news:  there is a better way.  You can get through the Potato Phase in just six missions, if you play the right way.  This tutorial will teach you how to complete the first five tiers of the tech tree quickly, and without having to grind or game the system in any way.

Let's get started.

For this tutorial, I am playing in the stock game set at the Normal difficulty level.  On higher difficulties, there is a lower percentage in Science rewards and facility upgrades are much more expensive.  You can still use this strategy, but you will have to work as many contracts as you can between these missions to save up funds for upgrades.

1 - First Mission

First, you need to get some science to start unlocking the basics.

Go to Mission Control and grab the following contracts:
     Gather scientific data from Kerbin
     Launch our first vessel

Then, build this and click that Launch button like a boss.

34DLl62.png

(In my games, this is the one and only time I EVER use an SRB.)

Note:  For best results, assign Bob to this mission.

On the laundpad...
     Get a Crew Report
     Get an EVA Report
     Observe two of the Mystery Goos

While you're outside of the craft, right-click on the capsule, select "Take Data" and then "Store Experiments".  This will store the Crew Report you just took in the capsule, instead of on Bob's person.  This will allow you to take additional Crew Reports in other biomes.

Launch vessel.

During ascent, observe two more Mystery Goos and another Crew Report

After splashdown, do the remaining two Mystery Goos and get another EVA report and Crew Report (remember to store the previous Crew Report you took during ascent by right-clicking on the capsule, and selecting "Take Data" and then "Store Experiments").  Also, climb onto the top of the capsule and jump in the air, and while you're in the air, get an EVA report "flying over Kerbin's water".  You'll want to right-click Bob before you jump, of course, so that you have time to click the EVE Report button during the fraction of a second he is in the air.

This should net about 34 Science, plus 8 more Science for contract completion and various milestones, for a total of 42.

Grab the following contracts:
     Escape the atmosphere
     Orbit Kerbin

In R&D, research the following tech:
     Basic Rocketry
     General Rocketry
     Engineering 101

2 - First Orbit

Build this

A3Yo45A.png

It includes 11 FL-T200 tanks, a Swivel engine, a decoupler, a parachute, four basic fins, four Mystery Goos, and six 2HOT thermometers.  Take the monopropellant out of the capsule to increase the dV just a little bit more.

Something to keep in mind about this craft is that you have barely enough dV to make it into orbit, so you need to be very efficient in your ascent.  This launch is the most difficult part of the entire tutorial.  It's not uncommon for it to require a few attempts before doing it successfully.

I recommend the following ascent profile:

At 1000m, turn 5 degrees.  Stay with the prograde marker and try to be at 45 degrees by the time you reach 10000m.   After you reach 16000m, lower the throttle to 1/3.  Cut the engines the second your Apoapsis reaches 72km.  Wait until you're less than 20 seconds from apoapsis to circularize, taking your time and staying on the prograde marker.  You need be as efficient as possible because you have no fuel to spare.  If the apoapsis gets away from you, stop and coast until you reach it again before continuing your burn.  Stop the moment your Pe goes above 70km.  You'll probably need at least 3 units of fuel set aside to deorbit.

During ascent, after you reach 18km, observe two Mystery Goos and log temperature.

Once officially in orbit, do a Crew Report, observe two more Mystery Goos and get two temperature readings.

To deorbit, set your Pe to 50k, for a shallow reentry.  You don't want your science instruments to burn up.  After you've lowered your Pe, feel free to decouple the launch stage.  Or you can keep it on until after reentry to use as a heat shield.  Just make sure you get rid of it while you still have plenty of altitude to open your chute.

During reentry, get two temperature readings.

After the parachute opens, before landing, get a temperature reading.  

Should get about 59 Science, plus another 30 in completion bonuses.

In R&D, research the following tech:
     Survivability
     Advanced Rocketry
     Stability

Upgrade...
     Mission Control to Level 2
     Astronaut Complex to Level 2
     Launchpad to Level 2

Grab seven contracts at Mission Control to get some advance funds.  Make sure Explore Kerbin is one of them.  Choose the ones with the largest advance amounts.  You don't have to complete them.  You can ditch them later on in the game when you can afford the penalties.

3 - EVAs in LKO

Next, send a rocket into a polar orbit with Bob and pick up EVA reports from as many different biomes as you can.

This ship will do the trick.  Be sure to include two Mystery Goos, two Thermometers, and two PresMats.

lFpaGLn.png

Without a pilot, you have no SAS, so flying straight will be a challenge.   Once in orbit, the workflow will be:

Get EVA report.
Store experiment in capsule.
Get another EVA report when in a new biome.
Repeat.

You want to get an EVA report in space above the following biomes:

Water
Shores
Grasslands
Highlands
Mountains
Deserts
Tundra
Ice Caps
Northern Ice Shelf
Southern Ice Shelf
Badlands

Something that will make this mission a hundred times less tedious is a mod called [X] Science.  It will not only let you know which biome you are currently in, but it will let you know all of the experiments you can perform at any given time, and even provide you with a button to perform them easily.

And get a crew report, an EVA report, and two readings from high orbit (above 250 km) from each of your science instruments as well.  After landing/splash down, get an EVA report.

You can easily get about 155 Science from this mission, plus another 7 in completion bonuses.

Once you have about 100 Science, go back to R&D and get the following:
     Basic Science
     Aviation
     Flight Control 

4 - Tour the KSC

Build this rover to get all the Science from the KSC (I got about 265 Science).

0L5qvCo.png

You need a scientist on this mission.

Get Science from the following biomes:
     Runway
     KSC
     Administration
     Astronaut Complex
     R&D Complex
     VAB
     SPH
     Tracking Station
     Mission Control
     Crawlerway
     Launch Pad
     Shores

In each biome, do the following:
     Crew Report
     Log Temperature
     Log Pressure
     Observe two Mystery Goos
     Observe two Science Jr's
     EVA Report
     Take the data out of your science instruments
     Restore the Mystery Goos and Science Jr's
     Store your data in the Experiment Storage Unit
     Store your remaining data in the cockpit
     take data from cockpit and store it again (this allows you to store the crew report)
     Get back in the rover and move on to the next biome

5 - First Probe to the Mun

Once you have about 300 Science, go back to R&D and get the following:
     General Construction
     Fuel Systems
     Electrics

Upgrade the Tracking Station to Level 2

Build the following ship.

ieGkI0r.png

All you need to do is get into the Mun's sphere of influence, get as much Science as you can, and get back to Kerbin.  Keep the experiment from the Materials Bay and one of each of the other instruments.  For your second 2Hot, PresMat, and Mystery Goo, transmit the data.   When returning, get a Kerbin Pe of about 60km.  That Materials Bay is very delicate and can easily overheat during reentry, so circularize and come in as shallow as you possibly can.  And make sure you stay dead on that retrograde marker until the heating dies down.

You should get about 188 Science for the experiments you brought back, plus another 32 from the data you transmitted.  You'll also get about 9 in completion bonuses.  It's not much, but it should be enough to unlock another two tech nodes.

Go back to R&D and get the following:
    Miniaturization
    Heavy Rocketry

Upgrade the VAB to Level 2

6 - First Kerbals to the Mun

For the first manned Mun mission, build this

t9F3O4v.png

You need a pilot and a scientist for this mission.

You want to try for a polar orbit, so you can pass over all the biomes.

In each biome, do the following:
     Observe the materials bay
     Bob goes EVA
     Collect data from materials bay
     Close doors and restore materials bay
     Store experiments in his pod
     Do an EVA report
     Observe the materials bay
     Collect data from materials bay
     Close doors and restore materials bay
     Right click Jeb's pod, and store experiments
     Bob gets back in

Get all available science from LKO, if there's any left to get.

Get all available science from High Orbit on the way to the Mun.

Get all available science from Mun high orbit as you approach.

Get EVA reports above all of the Mun's biomes.

KUVl7qG.png

To return to Kerbin, make your Pe about 50km

If you have the dV, circularize after aerobraking at just above 70km

To land near KSC, place your Pe at 19km just above the large peninsula east of KSC

You should get about 550 Science from this mission, depending on how many biomes you can get an EVA report of.

At this point, you should have enough Science to close out tier 5 of the tech tree.

In order to go any further in the tech tree, you will need to upgrade the R & D Complex, which costs about $450,000.  Chances are that you currently only have roughly $150,000.  Sadly, you will have to work some contracts to scrounge up some cash to make this needed upgrade.  

My first recommendation is to take any rescue contracts that are offered.  It will hone your rendezvous skills, and not only will you not have to pay large sums of funds to hire additional Kerbals, you'll get paid for it.  After a few of these missions, it will start to feel a bit repetitive, but adding roughly six to eight Kerbals to your program is going to be pretty helpful in the long run.

My second recommendation is to take any contracts that ask you to do the things you were going to do anyway:  space stations, satellites (if you're into that kind of thing), etc.  Stay away from anything involving parts testing or high altitude surveys.  They're garbage and a waste of your time.

At this point, you have what you need to land on the Mun and Mimnus, and the Science you grab from fully exploring all of their biomes will easily net you enough Science to unlock everything up to and including Tier 7 of the tech tree.  You will then have everything you need to start exploring other planets in style.

KSP is fun again.  Huzzah!

Stay tuned for an upcoming tutorial on how to close out the rest of the entire stock tech tree in just six two more missions...

I got the idea for this approach by watching Mark Thrimm's SSTO Space Program series on Youtube.   I highly reccommend you check it out, because it's awesome.

Feel free to let me know in the comments if I got anything incorrect, or how this approach can be improved.

Example ships for all of the missions in this tutorial can be found here.

Edited by MerlinsMaster

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 3:48 PM, Nikecow said:

This looks like an amazing guide. I wish I had it when I just started a few days ago. Anyways, I've still learnt quite a few things, so I'll try them out.

Thanks again.

Thanks, much appreciated.  Be sure to let us know how it all works out when you do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 10:31 PM, theKINGeasy said:

Hi Friend. Been playing KSP for a couple months on console. Started a new Career following your guild. So far so good. Got to Mission 5 and went to re-enter and there aren't and chutes on this craft... 

Did you download the craft file, or build it from the picture?  I checked the craft file I posted, and the parachute is on there.  I know the parachute is not visible in the picture, so if you built your own using that as reference, it's understandable if you didn't put one on.  It's on the other side of the probe core.

eHXf3Ya.png

I probably should have posted a picture from a different angle.

On 5/25/2018 at 5:10 PM, MerlinsMaster said:

Did you download the craft file, or build it from the picture?  I checked the craft file I posted, and the parachute is on there.  I know the parachute is not visible in the picture, so if you built your own using that as reference, it's understandable if you didn't put one on.  It's on the other side of the probe core.

eHXf3Ya.png

I probably should have posted a picture from a different angle.

I was building from the picture - playing on PS4. Thanks very much. Although I have been playing for 6 months and should have caught the lack of chute myself. Bahwell.

Thanks again

@MerlinsMaster I am starting to play through this now, and had a few pieces of feedback

1. You should list who should be doing each mission.  I kind of figured that since you are going for Science, Bob should be used, and you do mention Bob's name in the first mission ("instead of clicking on Bob's person"), however, you also state to turn on SAS for the 1st mission.  Bob cannot do that since he is not a pilot. That was a bit confusing.
  2. First mission as well, I think you may have lost some Science, or need to reorder steps. When I finished the 1st mission, I did hit 42 science as you state, but I was also told that I was going to overwrite a crew report.  I believe the crew report you get while in flight gets overwritten.   It definitely was not in my list of gathered science at the end of the mission.  Maybe if after splashdown, you state go to EVA, take data, store experiments, maybe that would store the crew report in flight, allowing the spalshdown crew report to get and flight crew report to both get recorded.
  3. For the 2nd mission, this goes back to item #1.  Trying to do this mission with Bob, with no SAS, when having to be precise to save fuel and dV.....stating to use Jeb would be a good idea.
  4. Also for the 2nd mission, I put 7 thermometers on instead of 6, because I noticed that you did not mention grab a temperature reading from the launchpad.
  5. Also for 2nd mission, you mention waiting until 20 seconds to apoapsis to circularize, however, the tracking station is not upgraded, so you do not get a time to apoapsis reading.  Just need to eyeball or guess, or use a mod that will give that info.

I did make orbit in mission 2 on my first try, with 8 units of fuel left for de-orbit.  Will let you know if I spot anything else.  Let me know if my feedback was wrong or misguided in any way (maybe I overlooked something).

Edited by djr5899
Added missing content

3 hours ago, djr5899 said:

You should list who should be doing each mission.  I kind of figured that since you are going for Science, Bob should be used, and you do mention Bob's name in the first mission ("instead of clicking on Bob's person"), however, you also state to turn on SAS for the 1st mission.  Bob cannot do that since he is not a pilot. That was a bit confusing.

This guide is indeed misleading at some points when it speaks of Bob at missioin 1 and of not using SAS on mission 3. Only mission 4 and 6 really need a scientist, otherwise always use a pilot or a part with SAS ability. By default, the game assign a pilot (Jeb) to any manned craft, so that you got SAS, so I guess it's fair enough if he mentions special crew requirements only for mission 4 and 6.

First mission as well, I think you may have lost some Science, or need to reorder steps. When I finished the 1st mission, I did hit 42 science as you state, but I was also told that I was going to overwrite a crew report.  I believe the crew report you get while in flight gets overwritten.   It definitely was not in my list of gathered science at the end of the mission.  Maybe if after splashdown, you state go to EVA, take data, store experiments, maybe that would store the crew report in flight, allowing the spalshdown crew report to get and flight crew report to both get recorded.

You cannot store two of the same experiment in the same part (here, 2 crew reports in the pod). That's why between two crew reports, you have to take out the experiment data out of the ship and back in, to transform the crew report into generic experiment data. Even as an experiment data you can't have two of the same crew report in the same pod. Once you understand that, you don't need to be told click for click what to do. In any case, you never lose from overwriting science you only need one of, such as crew reports.

Also for the 2nd mission, I put 7 thermometers on instead of 6, because I noticed that you did not mention grab a temperature reading from the launchpad.

6 should be enough. launchpad, flying over shore, high, orbit, flying over X, landed at X. I think he does the hotmeter at launchpad in mission 3 anyway.

djr5899 & Kesa:

Thanks for the feedback.  You made some good points.  Some of those things were editing oversights, but others were things I didn't think of.  I will address these tomorrow (it's pretty late, atm) and make the necessary changes.

I'm on mission 3 now, and seeing some other questions:

• While most times the picture of your craft is enough to build it, it might be good to include a parts list.   When building the craft for mission 3, I am unable to tell if you are using Swivel or Reliant engines, because they both look the same.  I used Swivels, which have less thrust, but have gimbaling, which seemed critical to trying to fly without SAS.
  • I am not able to store multiple EVA reports.  I have KER installed, so I am able to see the biome with KER enabled, and after getting EVA report for Mountains, and storing it, when I attempted to store the EVA report for Highlands, it told me I already have an EVA report, do I want to dump the experiment.   This could be a side effect of not using Bob for mission 2 (and maybe he is not leveled up).  Otherwise, this might need to be reviewed, as it did not work for me.  I followed the instructions as you have them written for mission 3:  Get EVA report, store in capsule, go to next EVA report, repeat.  I will try again after Bob returns to Kerbin (he should be at level 1 after this mission).

• 2 weeks later...

Dear wonderful Kerbonauts who bring us KSP. 

These tutorials need to be elevated for everyone to see.  After three very frustrating (on and off) years of playing KSP and giving up many times I found something that I can follow and keep me engaged. This is excellent work and highly recommended (mandatory?) for anyone new to the game. MerlinsMaster should be commended with his own character.  

Seriously,

Charles

15 hours ago, Spacewall said:

Dear wonderful Kerbonauts who bring us KSP. 

These tutorials need to be elevated for everyone to see.  After three very frustrating (on and off) years of playing KSP and giving up many times I found something that I can follow and keep me engaged. This is excellent work and highly recommended (mandatory?) for anyone new to the game. MerlinsMaster should be commended with his own character.  

Seriously,

Charles

Many thanks for that wonderful compliment!  If you're serious when you say that this tutorial kept you from quitting KSP, then the hard work I put into this has been totally worth it!

Happy space travelling!  And don't forget to check out part two, in which you'll be able to unlock the remainder of the tech tree in only two missions!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't belive no-one else spotted this, but- there is an easier way to get the extra "Flying over(biome)" EVA report...

Once the capsule chute is fully deployed (airspeed c.5m/s) but before touchdown, click EVA then rightclick Bob and get an EVA report as he hangs onto the capsule, then go back in. It'll count as flying.

Have to say, this is a great resource; I've just started my first ever playthrough (science mode) and though I'm not following to the letter, it's a great way to see what you can do to get started.Two missions in and I've scraped together enough science to build the surface rover, although the first test drive resulted in the first "unplanned explosive disassembly" of the campaign.*

*headed across the grass towards Admin, running nicely on 75% throttle: just thinking "slow down a bit, perhaps" when a wheel clipped something and she went flipp KABOOM rollrollroll boombangabangboomboom. Things had more or less stopped exploding as we slid past the flagpole, but by the time she came to a stop on the lawn outside the Astronaut Centre there was literally nothing left but the cockpit module- upside down on the grass like the Tomb of the Unknown Kerbal...

Edited by Steerpike
typos

• 4 months later...

I've had a few problems wit this guide, and now that I see how old it is I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that there  ave been issues with  my experience.

First off, if the links to the ship designs are build guides, they're broken. I download them but their either corrupted or unsupported my pc and phone tell me. I've even tried accessing them via google drive as this is where they're sent, but no luck.

Secondly, I've been having issues with the rover design involving no way to brake and stop as well as some unfortunate crashing. Now, I had to eyeball the design with the only picture on this thread, so it could have been mis-designed any number of ways. 

I've been frustrated by the problems I've  had with this guide for a few days now, but haven't wrote everything down. This recent upset with the touring rover finally pushed me to make an account just to post my problems in search for help, and now I find most of my problems have been forgotten as I calm down from the frustration. Ah well, better a calm heart and clear mind for solving problems, right? Anyways, I don't know if the op for this thread will see this, but if you could get back to me on my slowing & stopping problems with the rover at the least it would be appreciated. 

Thank you for your time and consideration

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 2:24 PM, SerenityPrim3 said:

First off, if the links to the ship designs are build guides, they're broken. I download them but their either corrupted or unsupported my pc and phone tell me. I've even tried accessing them via google drive as this is where they're sent, but no luck.

Hmm...I'm at work right now, so I can't test those links, but I will ASAP.  They should be compatible with current KSP, but I will make some new files.

Secondly, I've been having issues with the rover design involving no way to brake and stop as well as some unfortunate crashing. Now, I had to eyeball the design with the only picture on this thread, so it could have been mis-designed any number of ways. 

Okay, so the rover is really just a plane without wings.  To move you need to start the engine, but only a little bit (less than 1/4 throttle), and shut it off as soon as you're rolling at about 10 m/s.  Don't make any sharp turns, and when you want to stop, be gentle with the brakes.

As for the design, to build it, stick two Science Juniors on the back of a cockpit.  Stick a science container on the back of those.  Put 3 batteries on each side.  Put a small liquid fuel tank on top of the second Science junior.  Put an intake on the front of the fuel tank, and a Juno engine on the back. Then use the move tool the adjust the position of the engine.   Put on the landing gears as shown in the picture.  Also put those additional science instruments on the side as shown.  If you still have trouble replicating what is shown in the picture, then go ahead and wait for the download, which I will prepare when I can.

I've been frustrated by the problems I've  had with this guide for a few days now, but haven't wrote everything down. This recent upset with the touring rover finally pushed me to make an account just to post my problems in search for help, and now I find most of my problems have been forgotten as I calm down from the frustration. Ah well, better a calm heart and clear mind for solving problems, right? Anyways, I don't know if the op for this thread will see this, but if you could get back to me on my slowing & stopping problems with the rover at the least it would be appreciated. 

Thank you for your time and consideration

If you think of the other issues that you had, let me know and I'll be happy to assist.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.