Software to convert major into minor

DAL59

Do you mean like altering an audio track?

I dunno how easy it would be - does this software exist?

Different keys in music are not just moved up and down in pitch, chords that work to the ear have different separations of tones.

EG:

A C-Major chord is C-E-G

A C-Minor chord is C-Eflat-G

Software would have to somehow analyse the whole sound spectrum and change only specific tones whilst leaving the rest the same. Sounds like a hard problem?

22 minutes ago, YNM said:

Let a computer learns it ? XD

Or rather, fast-forward it. Or slow.

Well, change the frequency.

Its certainly a mathematically quantifiable problem, just quite a complex one I think.

I've heard the term "fourier transform" here and there, Im only hazily familiar though, is this a correct-ish description of it?: "Analysis a complex waveform to split out the underlying component frequencies and amplitudes." ?

9 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Its certainly a mathematically quantifiable problem, just quite a complex one I think.

Not really.

An octave of gap means the higher pitch vibrates twice the lower pitch.

You just need to find the multiplying factor between E flat (the major of C minor) with G major (I think the orchestra base is in G).

Edited by YNM

1 hour ago, YNM said:

Not really.

An octave of gap means the higher pitch vibrates twice the lower pitch.

You just need to find the multiplying factor between E flat (the major of C minor) with G major (I think the orchestra base is in G).

There is no multiplying factor because as you said, an octave is a doubling of frequency, not an addition.

So if you multiply the frequencies of each tone in the c-major scale by the same factor, you end up with something that is not a scale. Changing from major to minor (or vice versa) is even more of a headache as many tones will not change at all.

Consider the 1-octave scale of C-major (CDEFGABC), only 3 notes need to be changed to convert to C-minor (CDEbFAbBbC) so merely shifting frequencies will mess it all up.

My music theory is a little rusty, there may be some keys that can be easily shifted to others, but minor/major/vice/versa shifts wont be among them.

Edited by p1t1o

26 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

There is no multiplying factor

Say hello to equal temprament.

26 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

only 3 notes need to be changed to convert to C-minor

... Or raise 2 from E-flat major.

Minor scales (at least melodic) are only transient changes - they don't persist throughout the play. Which is why if you play them up-then-down the scale they're played differently.

For instance, going up then down A minor melodic (major scale C) :

A-B-C-D-E-F#-G#-A-G-F-E-D-B-C-A.

Sometimes noted with the "cancel" (natural) ().

Natural minor (haven't known what's the difference) don't add them in.

So for C minor, you're looking for E-flat major.

Edited by YNM

@YNM

Dont disagree with any of that, but none of it says to me that a piece of music in a "standard" key can be easily switched from major to minor by turning a single pitch knob, though I could be missing something, Im dredging up decades-old music theory knowledge :D

34 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

... but none of it says to me that a piece of music in a "standard" key can be easily switched from major to minor by turning a single pitch knob...

Indeed it isn't.

Well TBH I never learnt that either way ! I "learned" (it is slighy proper) classic guitars for a short while, so I knew of scales, circles of fifth (for sharp) and circle of fourth (for flats). Chord relations as well. But I had absolutely no idea about frequencies and such.

The connection was slightly "inspired" off this video :

And one about temperament (well, tuning a piano) :

I thought that, if you "scale" the whole thing, it'd just sound in a different scale. Kind of like capos.

Edited by YNM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.