Can Kerbals die of heat inside a ship that survives re-entry?

FinalFan

A few times after a long and/or harrowing re-entry, I've EVAed Kerbals that appear to have taken permanent damage (permanent in the context of the mission they are on) while they were inside the ship.  There is a bar, like the thermal warning bar, only this one isn't going away when the heat goes away.  This is thermal damage, correct?  I've seen the same thing when I once EVAed a kerbonaut in the upper atmoshpere only to quickly get him back in when the heat bar appeared and rose alarmingly quickly.  That one might have disappeared after he got back in the ship; I don't know. 

Can kerbonauts die of this damage even if the ship is okay? 

I have a picture, but I don't want to create an imgur album for this sole purpose, unless you guys insist on seeing evidence. 

I've personally never had that happen to me. I've seen what you're describing in a couple videos. It didn't seem to affect the kerbals though. The video makers just quick saved and loaded and it cleared.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:18 PM, Vanamonde said:

I have not seen this happen, and you don't need an account to use Imgur. 

Revived ancient tinypic account, 'cause I'm weird about things like that. 

Some like it hot

Not sure how/if I can insert pictures not from Imgur. 

[edit:  TinyPic is dead; long live Flickr.  I''m not sure if the site has changed, if it hated tinypic, or if I'm just dumb, but Flickr embeds just fine from a pasted link: ]

01 Hot kerbal bug (2vcj511)

Edited by FinalFan
TinyPic is dead; long live Flickr.

7 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

I've personally never had that happen to me. I've seen what you're describing in a couple videos. It didn't seem to affect the kerbals though. The video makers just quick saved and loaded and it cleared.

So if you quick save and then reload, the kerbal on the same mission will no longer show the heat bar?  My hypothesis in that case would be that perhaps it's an unintended mechanic where there's no mechanism for kerbals to "cool down", or if they do the graphical representation doesn't.  But saving and reloading makes the game re-evaluate based on the situation the kerbal is currently in, and it then gives them a clean bill of health. 

Nope, you can't lose a kerbal inside a part because of reentry heat (except if that part gets blown up, of course). However, you CAN lose a kerbal if you put them on external chair, then subject them to reentry heat

I think that heat is from being in contact with the hot skin of the capsule. The heat tolerance for the kerbals is much lower than the capsule. The skin of the capsule can be 1000K, and its less than half the max, so the heat bar doesn't show up on the capsule, but a kerbal can't stand 1000k, and their heatbar will appear at a much lower temp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.