JS Hangtian Crafts (JS航天)

So while I am updating my crafts and making posters, I decide to put up one of my few first creations (in terms of my gameplay history) -- aka modifications of other's or Squad's creation. It this case, it was the "Farsight Radio Observatory" from Transmission scenario. This also mark the first purpose built relay I released:

https://kerbalx.com/Jestersage/Farsight-radio-observatory-BG-+-Yakitori

The changes that was made even before the release of breaking ground is to reduce parts I consider redundant or can be substituted -- and the original needs the changes, as it had an original of 108 parts, with most of them being numerous Octagonal struts that formed the antenna Boom. Replacing it with XL girder bring the part count down to 50 something. With BG, Instead of attaching tiny tugs and docking ports, I mounted the booms onto hinges, so they can collapse into the Payload Shroud.

I had long wanted to put a stock modified crafts -- while not many, we still see some occasional crafts uploaded onto KerbalX that are just straight upload, when they could have modified it a bit so it perform better, either in terms of KSP or the computer.

Edited by Jestersage

So unlike other builders, I can only revise the crafts one at a time. That being said, the "HuiMu" Spacestation is revised. Despite it being nothing more than a lab, a service module, and science experiment, I decided to delegate the HuiMu station as a low-techtree build (TL6) -- and thus, some stuff, even science experiments, are missing.

If anyone encounter issue with using it at their career progress, let me know, and provide me your layout of TechTree. While the "Advanced Exploration" node is needed, others parts can be let go if I have sufficient info. Otherwise, I will gradually update my earlier crafts.

The update also bring about a refinement in my Kerbal universe concept. if you notice at the top left of the poster you will notice a red logo, composed of Chinese seal script. The name for the organization, based in Dessert Launch Site, is currently known as TianPin Collegiate (天品公行) . Anyone that knows their pinyin will realize it's just a wordplay for the chinese word of dessert. 

In any case, a quick outline of the concept behind JS Hangtian. While Kerbin contains numerous manufacturer, the leadership that actually utilize the products for the spacecraft and exploration belongs to JS Hangtian, which oversees the overall process. The only requirement is that the craft they employ is efficent and have limited impact to the environment (IRL: CPU). However, the design was split between 3 different space agency/bureau: The KSC, the Woomerang Design Bureau, and the TianDian Collegiate (Chinese Analogue) Because of how they were formed, the design philsophy varied a bit too. KSC and Woomerang at first differ only by aethestic, with KSC prefer a streamlined look, while Woomerang goes with whatever works. However, the Ladle YiWCC shifted Woomerang to one that also start to count for best performance for the lowest cost, as they were frequently short in Cash. This is where TianPin Collegiate comes in: they provided funding to Woomerang, and in exchange they received what Woomerang had on paper. However, unlike Woomerang, TianPin was constrained by actual technological development , and thus HuiMu is a barebone design; however, due to the ample funding TianDian themselves have, they eventually acquired enough technology not just from their own research, but also from KSC themselves, and thus they shifted their design toward maximum performance.

What the above backstory means is that KSC will be NASA focus, Woomerang is Russia Focus, and TianPin is technically Chinese focus, but with many of their designs also souped-up version of Woomerang and even that of KSC, which is what many of CNSA paper plans are.

Edited by Jestersage

• 4 weeks later...

So after some tinkering and testing, I have released my first Munar/Minmus base module, the "M-Exploration Komplex"

IVwfqYI.jpg

Seeing that I do not have a Munar base or ISRU module, I hope this will make my munar exploration a bit more useful.

So for those looking at this, you may say it's not really based in a real-life project. Well, it sort of does -- it was actually based on the Soviet's LEK (Lunar Expedition complex), with input of an evolution from a LESA design that I have. The "oxygen collection" sold me well for such purpose.

Edited by Jestersage

• 4 weeks later...

Thank goodness Google Translate exist, otherwise I would have problem getting this craft out: Iguana Lander (LVPK inspired)

x6QqTNN.jpg

The LVPK Lunar lander is a planned lander from Roscosmos. While there is only one English example from RussiaSpaceWeb, there does actually exist enough Russia presentations that I consider it exist. Unfortunately, the only concrete info is that it carries 3~4 people initially, cylinder in shape, and originally planned to be launched on Angara-7 before putting it on top of a 5-stack Sunkar launch vehicle. It was suppose to be 2 stage, using a crasher stage (Goog old Blok-DM), a detachable landing stage with fuel tanks, and the same thrusters for landing and ascending, not unlike LK. The rest of the designs, thus, are just very good guesses – whether they are going to use the lunar gateway or the traditional lunar rendezvous is unknown

For testing purpose, it was launched from the Dessert Launchpad, so upon entering Munar orbit, the lander is at approximately 55 degree angle, before I moved it to the typical equatorial orbit and landed it, so that much performance I can guarantee.

I will be honest: This craft is made just so I can have a matching lander that goes with the PPTS-inspired "LyncBon" capsule. Despite its smaller diameter, it's still best to put it within a 2.5m fairing, and there are many other designs that I consider having a better performance.

EDIT: With the announcement of new and bigger boosters, I will start to refresh the Ares I clones... and actually encourage me to finish my shuttles.

Edited by Jestersage

18 hours ago, Jestersage said:

With the announcement of new and bigger boosters, I will start to refresh the Ares I clones... and actually encourage me to finish my shuttles.

Ares I and a better shuttle analogue were the first things I thought of too when I saw those. :)

15 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Ares I and a better shuttle analogue were the first things I thought of too when I saw those. :)

Have a feeling you don't like "bundle a bunch of boosters and call it one" either :D.

And we can go even more crazy. I actually have some Saturn INT-05 test version lying around on my HDD.

34 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

Have a feeling you don't like "bundle a bunch of boosters and call it one" either :D.

That was actually on my list of things to evaluate for updating my shuttle analogue, after seeing how well Rocketology used them to implement a thrust curve for his.  That would still be a nice feature to have, but the need for it may be mitigated somewhat by the ability of the new SRB's to vector their thrust.

But if the 1.875m and 2.5m SRB's have TVC, they could potentially be very competitive for cheap launch vehicles akin to OmegA or Ares I. As we've discussed in the other thread, I prefer to implement career strategies that result in fewer total launches over the long term versus pinching pennies on individual launch vehicle costs.  However, depending on what the stats are for these new boosters, in performance and cost, IMO there's no sense in not evaluating cost savings if the vehicles are just as capable as existing standardlized launch vehicles.

• 2 months later...

So finally, after doing some test, I had released my space shuttle. Best of all, it's Vanilla, and a pure LF-O system that, as usually, made with a low-part-count philosophy

https://kerbalx.com/Jestersage/Porter-Space-Shuttle

ZGVBE0M.png

I have also decided to borrow the "mullet-dyne fuel pod" as used for the Shuttle challenge, and update it with 1.8.1 parts to bring it to actual 40t. It's not 100% certified for the challenge, but should still be good enough.

• 4 weeks later...

After enough testing that I managed to repeat, my first functional SSTO, Currently named "ascensor", is available:

https://kerbalx.com/Jestersage/Ascensor-Liquid-Fuel-Only-SSTO

Yup, pure liquid fuel construction. Special thanks to the builders who researched and share drag findings, including but not limited to AeroGav, fourfa, bewing, and probably a few others I missed.

catcwt5.png

I have a feeling I may change the name and reassign "Ascensor" to something else. It's either that, or this polish Vodka talking...

Edited by Jestersage

• 7 months later...

I just realized I had not visited my own forum page for a long time.

Anyway, my newest creation is "Talaria" mini shuttle, mounted on top of Ariane 5. In short, an ESA Hermes clone

Ke930Gj.jpg

As stated in the page, I changed the stock Ariane 5 by removing the internal reaction wheel, as well as changing the mainsail for skipper not just for budget, but also its capability.

In a way, this is the publishable form of one of my first builds. Start out as one of the side mounted mini shuttle built by a famous builder, as I gradually swap parts out and made it easier for me to fly while having a large enough cargo space, eventually none of the original's outline left.

Edited by Jestersage

• 4 months later...

Noticed I haven't post much... busy with work.

The 1.11 finally give me the push to truly differentiate between cargo spacecraft and tankers. In the past, we all have been mimicking pressurized containers by either using the payload bay, or use it to deliver fuel. Now we have a way to properly mimic pressurized containers (along with the use of the Hitchhiker) - and we may actually need to use the inventory space -- I expect the selection of cargo spacecraft will be better than before.

So here it is: My HTV / ETS-Aardvark Clone, the Aardvark Cargo Spacecraft

da50kUP.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.