JS Hangtian Crafts (JS航天)

Introduction

While Kerbin contains numerous manufacturer, in order to ensure space exploration will go on in the most efficient manner, the JS Hangtian was chartered to provide leadership in production and exploration of spacecrafts and other equipment.

Among many other competitiors, the JS Hangtian are one of the few chartered agencies that studied the phenomenom of "Mallocation" produced by spacecraft. Specifically, when each crafts have more parts added upon it, it generate the Mallocation, or "Malloc" upon the world. While overall it is minor, once past a certain times there is a time dilation effect, and in the worst case, the Malloc effect may summon tentacles out of thin air (tentatively called Kraken) and turn the craft and its Kerbalnauts into horrific, spaghetti-like blob.

Thus, JS Hangtian is dedicated to create crafts that have limited impact to the environment. Furthermore, in order to make design process easier, it is said they dug through the archives of the knoeldge base, which supposed to contain designs that is hard to realize, due to either budget, then-technological constrain, and other could-be, should-be, may-be that are lost in the archvies of history.

The design was split between 3 different space agency/bureau: The KSC, the Woomerang Design Bureau, and the TianDian Collegiate, each with their own different design philosophy and looks. JS Hangtian in the past takes a hands-off approach, but upon repeated request from Shareholders, JS Hangtian start to compile the report, and is expected to be released soon.

Key Features

• Will focus on by this forumla: "(part counts ~= functionalities) > appearance", in such order. In short, if the functionality benefit is not significantly high, part count reduction takes priority. However, appearance replication, though important, will be taking a backseat. But it will look good regardless.
  • Based on Real-Life crafts and concepts
  • S-series crafts are pure stock. No DLC needed

Current Offerings

Please go to mycraft_trans_full.png. The Imgur mess up the image replacement.

Space Capsules

Spaceplane

Lander

• <Blank for formating>

Space Stations

Planned (made, untested)

• Herguer Munar Lander ErX (with Science package)
  • Upriser series -- Mercury/Gemini

Feel free to critique and comment!

Edited by Jestersage

19 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

@Jestersage love your Lehu-YiY orbiter! Your Ares launchers look a bit funny, but they're obviously well-thought out... Why is the orbiter called Lehu-YiY? Kinda strange name, is it short for something?

Thanks for liking it.

Lehu is actually a further-Anglicization of Orion in Chinese, "lie'hu". YiY an abrevation of Yi'Ying... which should have been Yi'Xing (一型), but I forgot the proper pinyin. In short, it's literally "Orion Type 1". Not even the most creative naming.

• 1 month later...

Update: So after spending sometime lazing around, I finally completed my Altair clone, the "Herguer". It is launched on the Ares V clone, the Fogin SaCC. Check OP for links.

RL Explaination: Took a while to figure out how to name my rockets :P

EDIT: I am debating whether to retain the usage of the Jr Port, or if I should move all the ports to Standard for Crafts except a few.

The reason I used Jr port originally is that, as Apollo Replicas (both the small service module and MEM) used Jr port, I figure I should use Jr Ports. Something tells me it may not be a popular idea.

Edited by Jestersage

• 2 weeks later...

June 2nd Update: I have updated some of the parts, as well as removing extra parts, on my Orbiter Space Station, a single-launch solution based on one of the proposal for Space station Freedom. 

While I am going to release a seperate DLC-based Station, I want input from everyone: Whether I should minimize the parts further on the pure stock station (the one on KerbalX now). As those that did downloaded it, they will notice it will have some parts used purely for replication-based reasons, namely that of the monoprop tanks (which can be easily replaced with a Mk3 monoprop tank) and the 4 thermal panels mounted close to the bay door, done in order to mimic their original plan to have door-mounted radiators.

EDIT: I had also changed my first Lehu that use the Ares-I direct analogue. Now it is a pure stock craft (Type SiX-S), and changed to use monoprop. The Ares-I Single SRB clone, now known as Fogin RX1, is also boosted with a TD-25-Seperatron booster, and that squeezed out a lot of Delta-V, going from barely making 200 m/s 80x80k to a ~680 m/s 100k x 100k orbit, enough to do rendezvous. All in all, I am satisfy that my little replica become much more functional.

Edited by Jestersage

I have almost completed my UR700 and the LK-700. (Preview removed)

I actually made multiple versions. Some that use DLC components, as seen here. Some use pure stock.  A major decision is whether, for first stage, is to use x64+x32 tank (that's 1.5 orange tank) or two x64 tank. Otherwise it's just some final testing, with a profile designed for moonshot from Woomerang, direct landing. Stay tuned. Feel free to comment as usual.

Edited by Jestersage

• 2 weeks later...

My UR700+LK700 clone, the KL700 and Butalae 700S, is out. It is pure stock, non-DLC craft.(link at the top)

I had been debating whether to go with all stock, or for the sake of maintaining its UR500 based craft, utilize DLC. In the end, I figure: since there are so much Apollo Clones out there, why don't I do a clean replica that is even better? So I decided to go pure stock, which is fitting, as LK700 is designed to go against Apollos in real world.

The only problem is that the S-version is not that powerful if you launch it from Woomerang launch site unless you timed your launch, due to less Delta-V and worst TRW in comparison. That being said, it looks good enough to go toe-to-toe against the 5m parts. I did make a DLC edition, but is debating whether to push it out. If I get enough feedback, I may decide to do so.

Edited by Jestersage

• 3 weeks later...

So finally my Mir Clone is completed. However, I am still not ready to bring it to KerbalX, not even as the completed-in-one-file -- because while I can make it as a piece, I have not test out how well it would do with my supposed launcher (a Proton clone). But for now, I find my graphic design (which of course, is inspired by Raptor9) (Please refer to OP)

As many can tell, my focus is always part counts and functions, and so there will be more rough edges and "exposed" parts. I believe this is acceptable, since there are a lot others who build nicer looking crafts at the expense of part-count-creep.

Bonus fun: Anyone that know the real inspiration for its name get a virtual cookie from me ^_^

Edited by Jestersage

I really like the graphic template, with the parchment-like background and the handwritten font. It reminds me of sketched engineering designs that Leonardo da Vinci drew up.

EDIT: Question, is "JS航天" essentially JesterSage Aerospace in Chinese?

Edited by Raptor9

7 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

I really like the graphic template, with the parchment-like background and the handwritten font. It reminds me of sketched engineering designs that Leonardo da Vinci drew up.

EDIT: Question, is "JS航天" essentially JesterSage Aerospace in Chinese?

Thanks. In fact that is exactly what I had in mind. 

As for JS 航天, the answer is "yes and no". That would have been the best translation from Chinese to English, but 航天 is a term used specifically for spaceflight; in fact, CNSA in Chinese is 國家航天局 (lt: National Spaceflight Agency).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone, for enjoying my crafts.

So right now, I am doing another soviet clone, this time the TKS, and I am trying to figure out which configuration to use

7UAVDAV.png?1

The one on the left have more delta-V, while the twos on the right have more cargo capacity, and look closer to TKS due to the radiators. Now I am still trying to decide, so if some people can put forth opinion, that will be great!

And yes... I at first had debated between using the Mk3 capsules or the KV-3s. Reading up the spec of the original, it is said the VA capsules technically only have 2.7m diameter, as oppose to the 4m diameter of Apollo Capsule. Combine with the looks, I decide to use an iteration that are based on the 1.875m parts, at least for now.

Edited by Jestersage

6 hours ago, Jestersage said:

Now I am still trying to decide, so if some people can put forth opinion, that will be great!

I'm going to abstain, because my building style is different and I don't want to influence yours.  I would say for lack of outside opinions, choose which ever makes you feel more inspired or brings more fun.  Those are the factors that are important to me in KSP: inspiration and fun. :)

3 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

I'm going to abstain, because my building style is different and I don't want to influence yours.  I would say for lack of outside opinions, choose which ever makes you feel more inspired or brings more fun.  Those are the factors that are important to me in KSP: inspiration and fun. :)

Guess you are right -- we have different style, and by aesthetic there's no way I can match up yours, nor would it be applicable in this case (since I go for function/part count over looks) 

• 3 months later...

So I was already greeted by "This thread is quite old" request. In short, I have too much lull time between creation...

That is why I ended up uploading "Valentis", the Voskhod 2 clone. It was a fun build, and easy to chunk out (relatively) -- unlike other crafts where I have to be concerned with part counts and looks (or even mass), realistically no one will use it to dock with a spacestation, so I went a bit nuts on the RCS pods to mimic the looks. If nothing else, it give me a good starting point for R7 Boosters, since from what I can tell, Soyuz launch core is physicall identical to the older generations -- just need to change the second stage.

Edited by Jestersage

So here we are -- my Soyuz clone "Dongmeng". Specifically, the SaX model (LFO propulsion), RL edition (so no Reaction wheel, but utilize RCS... even for the reentry capsule)

All in all, a fun build, as I experiment with different part combination to reach a point where I like. chances are, within a few days, the standard version (uses Reaction wheel) will come out, with a few other variants depend on how I feel -- I actually have a YiX (low mass monoprop edition) and other interesting editions in the pipeline.

EDIT: Reaction wheel edition is up.

Edited by Jestersage

8 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

If only I had MH...

Aww, you missed the sale this past week, it was under $10 US dollars IIRC.  I highly recommend it...at current market prices, Making History is like buying 3 over-priced Starbucks coffees, or 2 movie tickets. :D  But I digress....

On 11/5/2018 at 5:49 PM, Jestersage said:

So here we are -- my Soyuz clone "Dongmeng"

Looking good @Jestersage.  As stated previously, I like your graphic presentation style.  It's quite unique among the sea of the blueprint-style graphics on KerbalX.

4 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Looking good @Jestersage.  As stated previously, I like your graphic presentation style.  It's quite unique among the sea of the blueprint-style graphics on KerbalX.

Thank you. I am definitely inspired by you (and I think you are the earliest and still active user that started the "blueprint" graphic), but I also want to distinguish myself.  Though noticing some other users having more downloads does make me a bit disappointed. 

13 hours ago, Jestersage said:

Though noticing some other users having more downloads does make me a bit disappointed. 

I think as you get more variety and depth to your craft collection, you will start attracting more followers and players will start coming back to you more when you release additional craft.

Thanks, Raptor9.

One thing I notice is that sometimes, in order to make a replica functional, you have to do the associated hardware... which in turn lead to creating a predecessor. In this case, my attempt to create a Skylab leads to the creation of Apollo and Saturn-I clone, which in turn leads to creating a Mercury Redstone -- since Saturn-I is a cluster of redstones surrounding a Jupiter-C tank, and it will be bad if the scale ended up mismatch, right?

TKSUJWI.png

I will be honest, if Saturn-I was not a cluster of redstone, I would not even bother with the suborbital rocket. Then again, for a longest time, I was complaining why everyone's Saturn-I replica is a cluster of FT-800 instead of just the size-2 tanks, until I found out it is a cluster of tanks. It is definitely one of those crafts created for the sake of replica.

Edited by Jestersage

So after refining the Craft, here it is: My Apollo Clone, "Ananas":

Name comes from how in Chinese, Apollo is 阿波羅, and since 波羅 is "pineapple"...

My greatest decision regarding this build is whether to use the Jr-port or the Standard Size port. Based on MH parts -- as well as referencing many MH Saturn-V builds-- I decide to go with Jr-port, since the Apollo docking port is built for LEM -- which in MH, is represented as a Jr-port. Plus, the whole exercise is to eventually lead to a standalone station that allows my Lehu  stock-type to connect to.

Edited by Jestersage

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.