KSP just keeps getting slower and slower

So, to be clear, this is not a new problem. I think it even happens in unmodded KSP.

I load a fresh game and mod it up reaaal good. It works.

Then, it gets slower. More freezing, more yellow and red even at no physics acceleration, ridiculous loading times when changing scene. (long enough to experience several stages of grief when you realise you clicked the VAB instead of mission control). Closing the game and reloading fixes this at first, but it just keeps getting worse. I used to think it was just because the game was keeping track of too much space junk but this time i launched a lot of rockets before i made orbit, so I know this can't be it.

My assumption based on other programs would be that there is some huge log file somewhere, growing, but I have searched the directory for files with recent modifications and come up empty. Now, I suppose that it could be the save file itself - in which case can someone help me to decide which parts I can just delete without corrupting anything. The only other thing I can think of is that I have a lot of saved craft, but I don't see why this would be a problem when going to eg. the tracking station.

I have looked on the forum and tried a couple of things. force opengl only makes the text in the menu disappear so I don't know what I am clicking on.

Help is well appreciated :D

If you could post a log, it would help. If not, you could use the below program to see what your memory usage is at. I found if I loaded up on mods and came under 8-9G ram. KSP would be fine, I do have 32G available. As I loaded more mods and increased my ram usage past that amount. KSP would have incrementally longer screen switches, poor performance, and crashes. It would also depend on how many screen switches I made before it would lead to a crash. This is only my anecdotal experience and may be exclusive to my setup and performance tolerance. 

You could also check out this program for the stuttering/freezing. It might show you what is causing an issue. I have found some parts ,mods or improper installs can cause some grief related to this.

Only other things I could suggest is fiddling with the Setting in General and Graphics, or reducing amount of mods

If you post a log and some system specs(ram), it would help. See Below.

5 minutes ago, Barar said:

If you could post a log, it would help.

If you post a log and some system specs(ram), it would help. See Below.

Yeah, I'll see what I can do. But this is a general problem, regardless of which mods I use. And at least in 1.2x-1.3x and maybe earlier. Hence a log file will probably be of limited usefullness in this case.

Thanks for the reply though, I will try these out.

My computer at home is a watercooled beast with 32GB and this is still a problem, but I run very high settings. I am overseas of a while ATM and my laptop is a rubbish 2013 i3 with 4GB and no dedicated graphics. I run everything on the lowest possible settings. Obviously I am posting now because the problem is much worse on the laptop.

My experience has been that memory usage does not change significantly between it working fine and becoming totally unusable. Also, even when completely idle (like sitting in the R&D for more than 5mins) the usage on one of my computer cores sits at a near constant 100%

The log file could show incompatible mods, mod versions, issues with loading improper installation, any errors that may be slowing you down. You could load up a fresh KSP 1.4.2 from steam and if you have no issues, no problem. But if its an issue only when you use mods, maybe the log file will show that. You didn't mention if you used CKAN, did manual installs, how many mods or which ones you installed, played career or sandbox. For all I know, you could be using a custom install of 10 different planet packs mashed together with EVE ,Scatter, SVT, high resolution texture packs with a healthy helping of parts and features mods. Or you could have the same setup as mine and I had the same issue and solved it. More information is not a bad thing when I only have a given scenario to make guesses at. Just wanting to help.

On 4/19/2018 at 10:33 PM, Barar said:

The log file could show incompatible mods, mod versions, issues with loading improper installation, any errors that may be slowing you down. You could load up a fresh KSP 1.4.2 from steam and if you have no issues, no problem. But if its an issue only when you use mods, maybe the log file will show that. You didn't mention if you used CKAN, did manual installs, how many mods or which ones you installed, played career or sandbox. For all I know, you could be using a custom install of 10 different planet packs mashed together with EVE ,Scatter, SVT, high resolution texture packs with a healthy helping of parts and features mods. Or you could have the same setup as mine and I had the same issue and solved it. More information is not a bad thing when I only have a given scenario to make guesses at. Just wanting to help.

This is all true. And I agree it is theoretically possible I have created 15 different problems in 15 different installs, with vastly different mod suites, with and without CKAN, although I suspect the probability is low.
I have not had a chance yet to try the addons you suggested, but here is a log file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/51x0n1ci4aogup6/output_log.txt?dl=0
This time the final death of KSP may actually have been memory related but it was going very slowly for a good hour before that.

I see you are using 1.3.1 

I dont use Realism Overhaul or Tweakscale. But from what I can tell from the forums, Tweakscale is not supported by RO, and your logs seem to agree.

536 of these errors in your logs.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[TweakScale] Exception on writeDryCost: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModuleList.Contains (Int32 classID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModuleList.Contains (System.String className) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at TweakScale.PrefabDryCostWriter.WriteDryCost () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[TweakScale] part=TacLifeSupportContainerLarge375 (non RO/nocost - Life Support Supplies Container, 3.75m)

Also found 66 Errors for this RealismOverhaul resource, and keeps adding "ContractConfigurator.ParameterFactory:GenerateParameterFactory(ConfigNode, ContractType, ParameterFactory&, ParameterFactory)" on every error, growing rather large.

Start.

Spoiler

ContractConfigurator.HasResourceFactory: CONTRACT_TYPE 'IridiumNEXT', PARAMETER 'HasComSatBus' of type 'HasResource': Error parsing resource

ArgumentException: 'ComSatBus' is not a valid resource.
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ResourceParser.ParseIdentifier (ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.Token token) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseVarOrIdentifier (ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.Token token) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[ContractConfigurator.Resource].ParseSimpleStatement[Resource] () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Rethrow as Exception: Error parsing statement.
Error occurred near '*':
ComSatBus
.........* <-- HERE
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseExpression (System.String key, System.String expression, ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.DataNode dataNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseSingleValue[Resource] (System.String key, System.String stringValue, Boolean allowExpression) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[Resource] (.ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, Boolean allowExpression) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[Resource] (.ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, System.Action`1 setter, IContractConfiguratorFactory obj, ContractConfigurator.Resource defaultValue, System.Func`2 validation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
ContractConfigurator.LoggingUtil:LogException(Exception)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory, Resource, Func`2)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory)
ContractConfigurator.HasResourceFactory:Load(ConfigNode)
ContractConfigurator.ParameterFactory:GenerateParameterFactory(ConfigNode, ContractType, ParameterFactory&, ParameterFactory)
ContractConfigurator.ParameterFactory:GenerateParameterFactory(ConfigNode, ContractType, ParameterFactory&, ParameterFactory)
ContractConfigurator.ContractType:Load(ConfigNode)
ContractConfigurator.<LoadContractTypeConfig>d__29:MoveNext()
ContractConfigurator.<FinalizeContractTypeLoad>d__28:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Finish

Spoiler

ContractConfigurator.HasResourceFactory: CONTRACT_TYPE 'IridiumNEXT', PARAMETER 'HasComSatBus' of type 'HasResource': Error parsing resource

ArgumentException: 'ComSatBus' is not a valid resource.
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ResourceParser.ParseIdentifier (ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.Token token) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseVarOrIdentifier (ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.Token token) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[ContractConfigurator.Resource].ParseSimpleStatement[Resource] () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Rethrow as Exception: Error parsing statement.
Error occurred near '*':
ComSatBus
.........* <-- HERE
  at ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseExpression (System.String key, System.String expression, ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.DataNode dataNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseSingleValue[Resource] (System.String key, System.String stringValue, Boolean allowExpression) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[Resource] (.ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, Boolean allowExpression) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[Resource] (.ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, System.Action`1 setter, IContractConfiguratorFactory obj, ContractConfigurator.Resource defaultValue, System.Func`2 validation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
ContractConfigurator.LoggingUtil:LogException(Exception)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory, Resource, Func`2)
ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory)
ContractConfigurator.HasResourceFactory:Load(ConfigNode)
ContractConfigurator.ContractType:Load(ConfigNode)
ContractConfigurator.<LoadContractTypeConfig>d__29:MoveNext()
ContractConfigurator.<FinalizeContractTypeLoad>d__28:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

ContractConfigurator.ContractType: Errors encountered while trying to load CONTRACT_TYPE 'IridiumNEXT'

Also 93 of these errors related to FAR and Procedural Part

Spoiler

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.RebuildAllMeshData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.GeometryPartModuleRebuildMeshData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.Component:SendMessage(String, Object, SendMessageOptions)
UnityEngine.Component:SendMessage(String)
ProceduralParts.ProceduralAbstractShape:UpdateInterops()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralShapeCylinder:UpdateShape(Boolean)
ProceduralParts.ProceduralAbstractShape:OnUpdateEditor()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralPart:InitializeNodes()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralPart:DoInitialize()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralPart:OnInitialize()
Part:InitializeModules()
ShipConstruct:LoadShip(ConfigNode)
ShipConstruction:LoadShip(String)
EditorLogic:StartEditor(Boolean)
EditorLogic:ShipToLoadSelected(String, LoadType)
KSP.UI.Screens.CraftBrowserDialog:onPipelineFinished(ConfigNode, CraftEntry, LoadType)
KSP.UI.Screens.<pipeSelectedItem>c__AnonStorey1B7:<>m__89C(ConfigNode)
KSPUpgradePipeline:Process(ConfigNode, String, LoadContext, Callback`1, Callback`2)
KSP.UI.Screens.CraftBrowserDialog:pipeSelectedItem(CraftEntry, LoadType)
KSP.UI.Screens.CraftBrowserDialog:OnEntrySelected(CraftEntry)
KSP.UI.Screens.CraftEntry:onValueChanged(Boolean)
UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall`1:Invoke(Object[])
UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList:Invoke(Object[])
UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase:Invoke(Object[])
UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`1:Invoke(Boolean)
UnityEngine.UI.Toggle:Set(Boolean, Boolean)
UnityEngine.UI.Toggle:Set(Boolean)
UnityEngine.UI.Toggle:set_isOn(Boolean)
UnityEngine.UI.Toggle:InternalToggle()
UnityEngine.UI.Toggle:OnPointerClick(PointerEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents:Execute(IPointerClickHandler, BaseEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents:Execute(GameObject, BaseEventData, EventFunction`1)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMousePress(MouseButtonEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent(Int32)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:Process()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

FAR and Trajectories not playing well together.

Spoiler

at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.FARVesselAero.SimulateAeroProperties (UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroTorque, Vector3 velocityWorldVector, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAPI.InstanceCalcVesselAeroForces (.Vessel vessel, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroTorque, Vector3 velocityWorldVector, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAPI.CalculateVesselAeroForces (.Vessel vessel, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroTorque, Vector3 velocityWorldVector, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.FARModel.ComputeForces_Model (Vector3d airVelocity, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.VesselAerodynamicModel.ComputeForces (Double altitude, Vector3d airVelocity, Vector3d vup, Double angleOfAttack) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.VesselAerodynamicModel.ComputeReferenceDrag () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.VesselAerodynamicModel.isValidFor (.Vessel vessel, .CelestialBody body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.Trajectory+<ComputeTrajectoryIncrement>d__42.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.Trajectory.ComputeTrajectory (.Vessel vessel, Trajectories.DescentProfile profile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

FAR and Mechjeb issue.

Spoiler

at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.FARVesselAero.SimulateAeroProperties (UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroTorque, Vector3 velocityWorldVector, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAPI.InstanceCalcVesselAeroForces (.Vessel vessel, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroTorque, Vector3 velocityWorldVector, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAPI.CalculateVesselAeroForces (.Vessel vessel, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroTorque, Vector3 velocityWorldVector, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) MuMech.VesselState/FARCalculateVesselAeroForcesDelegate:invoke_void__this___Vessel_Vector3&_Vector3&_Vector3_double (Vessel,UnityEngine.Vector3&,UnityEngine.Vector3&,UnityEngine.Vector3,double)
  at MuMech.VesselState.AnalyzeParts (.Vessel vessel, MuMech.EngineInfo einfo, MuMech.IntakeInfo iinfo) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.VesselState.Update (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

FAR and engine faring errors

Spoiler

at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryModification.StockJettisonTransformGeoUpdater..ctor (.ModuleJettison engineFairing, FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule geoModule) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.SetupIGeometryUpdaters () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

So RO, Tweakscale, FAR, Contract Configurator, Procedural Parts, Trajectories, EngineFairings and Mechjeb. Some other smaller errors in logs but did not comment on them.

Not sure how you want to go about resolving your issue. I would personally do a clean install, adding one by one just the mods you think are conflicting(minimize issues and quick load time). Once you sort them out, add in all the other mods that you normally run.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.