Humans in KSP

Triop

I'm curious about how a human in the game would look like.

Would he be be bigger then a Kerbal ?

Can he fit in Kerbal crafts ?

Would you like to see humans added to the game  ?

Give me your 5 cents, I'm curious.

Thinking about it, if Kerbin is 1/4 size of the earth, would that make humans 4x bigger ?

Actually, i recall Kerbal height being given as about 0.75 m -- hence they're comfortable in a 1.25 m capsule diameter (a human can fit into a narrower rocket stack than that, but he won't be reclining in a good position for maximum G tolerance (look up the Danish group who are planning to launch a human in their sub-1 m diameter sounding rocket -- that guy is likely to black out during boost).  Mercury, the analog to the Mk. 1 Command Pod, was 2 m diameter, and astronaut height was limited to 180 cm to ensure they'd fit into the couch (at least one astronaut "shrank" an inch just before they were officially measured).

30 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

It's always been stated that Kerbals are 1 meter tall, so if there were humans in this universe, they'd be around twice as tall as Kerbals and unable to fit into most craft. 

18 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Actually, i recall Kerbal height being given as about 0.75 m -- hence they're comfortable in a 1.25 m capsule diameter (a human can fit into a narrower rocket stack than that, but he won't be reclining in a good position for maximum G tolerance (look up the Danish group who are planning to launch a human in their sub-1 m diameter sounding rocket -- that guy is likely to black out during boost).  Mercury, the analog to the Mk. 1 Command Pod, was 2 m diameter, and astronaut height was limited to 180 cm to ensure they'd fit into the couch (at least one astronaut "shrank" an inch just before they were officially measured).

So how high could a human jump on Kerbin ?

Any way to calculate the gravity ?

Edited by Triop

1 minute ago, Triop said:

So how high could a human jump on Kerbin ?

Any way to calculate the gravity ?

Although the implied math makes the planets bizarrely small and dense, the conditions have been set so that Kerbin's surface gravity is the same as earth's. That means the height a person could jump on Kerbin would be the same as that person could jump on earth. 

1 minute ago, Vanamonde said:

Although the implied math makes the planets bizarrely small and dense, the conditions have been set so that Kerbin's surface gravity is the same as earth's. That means the height a person could jump on Kerbin would be the same as that person could jump on earth. 

That is interesting, so you are saying (no pun) humans could live on a superearth (10+ size the planet of earth) and still have normal gravity ?

Amazing, thinking about it blows my mind &)

Just now, Triop said:

That is interesting, so you are saying (no pun) humans could live on a superearth (10+ size the planet of earth) and still have normal gravity ?

Absolutely not. :D I'm saying the planet in the game has been adjusted to have earth-normal gravity despite being much smaller than earth. All the KSP planets are much denser than real planets. 

5 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Absolutely not. :D I'm saying the planet in the game has been adjusted to have earth-normal gravity despite being much smaller than earth. All the KSP planets are much denser than real planets. 

So does the size of a planet or the weight (metal core) have influence on gravity ?

In real life of course...

Edit: Not even talking about rotation speed...

Edited by Triop

Gravity is mostly determined simply by the amount of matter there is pulling on something, but if the object is made smaller, the gravity it exerts at the surface gets stronger because the other object is closer to the center. Note that it gets strong at the surface, but it's not actually exerting more total force. And the planets in KSP are artificially smaller than real planets of the same mass, with Kerbin's surface gravity adjusted to match earth's. 

31 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

What if... Kerbals became part of our game?!?!?

What if we're simulating Kerbals...

But we're in a simulation...

Made by Kerbals! What if they were tripping out argueing over weather to add Kerbals into our simulation over the Human Space Program forums?

Mind= Blown.

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

What if we're simulating Kerbals...

But we're in a simulation...

Made by Kerbals! What if they were tripping out argueing over weather to add Kerbals into our simulation over the Human Space Program forums?

Mind= Blown.

:rolleyes:

It would be interesting to me to one day see a mod that changes the Kerbals into legit humans. 

While Orbiter is great, it doesn't give you the absolute free range to screw around like Kerbal does. So for us realism junkies that still want to play a game, it would be an interesting change up to the game.

Humans in KSP...

I suspect we're the stuff of legends, campfire tales, and those who have partaken of mind-altering substances a little too much. No Kerbal worth his weight in liquid fuel ever really believes the tales... but they still can't help but wonder. :wink:

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Humans in KSP...

I suspect we're the stuff of legends, campfire tales, and those who have partaken of mind-altering substances a little too much. No Kerbal worth his weight in liquid fuel ever really believes the tales... but they still can't help but wonder. :wink:

Or the stuff of bad B movie sci-fi epics.

Duna Attacks! (where the aliens have pink skin and speak in backwards Kerba).

Revenge of the Huma-Men. (where the aliens are silver robots that march around chanting 'revert, revert, revert...')

I could go on but I'll spare you. :)

23 hours ago, Triop said:

If you had a planet 128,000 km in diameter, with the crustal density of marshmallow and the compressive strength of granite, you'd be close to the right values to get 1 G at surface.  Kerbin's overall density must be more than triple that of Earth in order to have the same gravity in 1/10 the diameter. and to go ten times larger than Earth, you couldn't have the density more than about a third that of Earth -- uncompressed water is close to right (except that either liquid or pressure ice compresses under the weight of 64,000 km of water above it -- I'm not sure what that is in gigaPascals, but it's a bunch).  I doubt you'd reach degenerate matter conditions, but you'd have to start with something much less dense than water to wind up with 1/3 the Earth's density at ten times the diameter.

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.