Wiki pages will not load (time-out)

Aru

Hi. wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com (and http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Main_Page which the main page links to), and kerbalspaceprogram.com, and the wiki IP (87.117.251.9), get a time-out when I try to load them. I have the same problems with an alternate web browser (Firefox, Waterfox, Chrome), and with the browser started in safe mode. I have flushed the local DNS cache, and the browser cache, and cleared all kerbal-related cookies. ping fails, and tracert fails after 7 hops through zayo.com, the last being lhr15.uk.zip.zayo.com.

Though www.kerbalspaceprogram.com works just fine, as does forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com, and the wiki does successfully load through a proxy, and on my phone (via the same router). Perplexing is that the tracert only fails (presumably) just before or after reaching the wiki. I'm having to manually insert "www" into official site links. Obviously this doesn't work for the wiki, it's the wrong subdomain.

This official wiki is essential for how I play this game.

I faintly recall having similar problems in the past, but I don't remember how it was fixed. I do remember, that the problem will not go away on it's own.

I have no idea what's going on! I want to play KSP, but I cannot play it seriously without proper access to the wiki. If anyone has any ideas for diagnosing or fixing this, please let me know.

Edited by Aru

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Aru said:

I really want to get back into this game. No one else has this problem?

I missed your initial post, but no, I don't have this issue.  I would suspect from the deafening silence nobody else does either. 

So something's wonky on your end. 

The first thing that comes to mind is a pop up blocker.   Sometime around then they fixed the wiki "Accept TOS" pop-up.  Maybe something is weird on your end with a pop up blocker that is preventing the whole page from loading.   Try allowing that page to show pop ups, and possibly dump your cookies and such. 

Perhaps @ManeTI might have some insight.

On 4/18/2018 at 5:05 PM, Aru said:

Hi. wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com (and http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Main_Page which the main page links to), and kerbalspaceprogram.com, and the wiki IP (87.117.251.9), get a time-out when I try to load them. I have the same problems with an alternate web browser (Firefox, Waterfox, Chrome), and with the browser started in safe mode. I have flushed the local DNS cache, and the browser cache, and cleared all kerbal-related cookies. ping fails, and tracert fails after 7 hops through zayo.com, the last being lhr15.uk.zip.zayo.com.

Though www.kerbalspaceprogram.com works just fine, as does forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com, and the wiki does successfully load through a proxy, and on my phone (via the same router). Perplexing is that the tracert only fails (presumably) just before or after reaching the wiki. I'm having to manually insert "www" into official site links. Obviously this doesn't work for the wiki, it's the wrong subdomain.

This official wiki is essential for how I play this game.

I faintly recall having similar problems in the past, but I don't remember how it was fixed. I do remember, that the problem will not go away on it's own.

I have no idea what's going on! I want to play KSP, but I cannot play it seriously without proper access to the wiki. If anyone has any ideas for diagnosing or fixing this, please let me know.

Hi @Aru, you are getting the old IP Address for the wiki thats why the site is timing out for you, if you dont have an entry in your hosts file that points the wiki to the old IP address I would recommend you to try using Google Public DNS to see if that helps.

Ah, yeah, hosts file, that was it... I guess that answers the question of how I fixed it previously, hah. There must have been DNS issues at the time. My memory is bad. Thank you very much, I can now resume KSP. I never would have thought to check hosts.

The fact that the tracert managed to get so close to the server before failing was throwing me off.

Literally the only two entries I have in hosts:

87.117.251.9    kerbalspaceprogram.com
87.117.251.9    wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com

Edited by Aru

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.