WHAT ATMOSPHERIC PLANET HAVE RETURNED FROM?

EndTraveler

what atmospheric planet have returned from? (this is to help balance planet Atmo in a planet pack which I have a low probability of completing)  

31 members have voted

1. 1. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

• k3RbIn eYe CoMpLeT N0ub
    • duna, maybe?
    • bruh, Iv'e returned from EVE
    • Jool "surface". I am ready to take on planet Atmo that may or may not be made and has much more atmospheres and gravity than jool.
  2. 2. how close to kerbol can you get?

• kerbin. maybe next mission it will work out?
    • Eve. I have a way to go before moho
    • Moho. close, but not close at the same time :|
    • 1/2 Moho orbit. this is a bit risky...
    • 1/4 Moho orbit. how did I get this far?!
    • near kerbol's atmosphere without cheats...

has much more ... gravity than jool.

Jool's surface gravity is rather low, making it more like a Saturn analogue than a Jupiter analogue.

Are you talking about the "size of the gravity well" or the acceleration due to gravity at the surface?

As for a denser atmosphere, without modified engines, you can't return from the surface of Jool because none of the engines produce enough thrust at 15 atmospheres IIRC.

Maybe the mammoth and aerospike can lift themselves, but any such vessel would be too much for a normal computer to handle.

Practically speaking, the most you can do is a Jool "limbo" (see how low into its atmosphere you can go and still get back up), or one way probes down into the abyss

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

Jool's surface gravity is rather low, making it more like a Saturn analogue than a Jupiter analogue.

Are you talking about the "size of the gravity well" or the acceleration due to gravity at the surface?

As for a denser atmosphere, without modified engines, you can't return from the surface of Jool because none of the engines produce enough thrust at 15 atmospheres IIRC.

Maybe the mammoth and aerospike can lift themselves, but any such vessel would be too much for a normal computer to handle.

Practically speaking, the most you can do is a Jool "limbo" (see how low into its atmosphere you can go and still get back up), or one way probes down into the abyss

Not that I have ever attempted it, but shouldn't it still be possible to use the little thrust one gets for aerodynamic flight? Anyhow, I thought the Joolian surface cannot be reached as all probes will sooner or later explode on the descent?

Back on topic of balancing an atmosphere. You'll also have to ask people if they play with or without FAR, as without FAR drag is unrealistically high, so return missions are more difficult.

Well there are a couple of Jool "landing" videos on Youtube.

Bradley Whistance "The Odyssey by Bill; Book 22: "Landing" on Jool and returning" (Returning from below the zero altitude).

Matthew Karr "KSP: A Manned "Surface" Return from Jool". (Returning from about 2450 metres).

1 hour ago, soulsource said:

Not that I have ever attempted it, but shouldn't it still be possible to use the little thrust one gets for aerodynamic flight? Anyhow, I thought the Joolian surface cannot be reached as all probes will sooner or later explode on the descent?

Well, from surface, I mean - altitude. It has no hard surface, and stuff does explode after getting into negative altitude numbers (sidenote, I've thought about giving it a liquid surface to represent a supercritical fluid)

The small amount of thrust could allow for atmospheric flight, in this case you can take the craft L/D and multiply that by TWR, and that needs to be above 1. This would still require a ludicrously huge craft beyond the capability of our computers, and massive numbers of staging (i'm not sure the craft would even work structurally)

Videos prior to 1.0 shouldn't really be used, as before 1.0, thrust did not vary with Isp (instead rocket engines consumed more fuel at low altitude, instead of producing less thrust, so TWR was the same at 15 atmospheres or in a vacuum).

Various "exploity" ways can be used (like abusing reaction wheels for stock propellers, as in on video posted by @AVaughan , and at least until 1.4.3 comes out, one can used the bugged fairings to make a craft that can drop its perapsis down to zero, and return back to space without suffering any drag losses.

*Edit* fired up KSP and used KER to display thrust of engines at 0 altitude on Jool.... nope atmospheric flight is not possible with stock parts

Aerospike: Thrust: 0.001 kN

Vector: 0.003 kN

Mammoth: 0.013 kN 

Now the mammoth is 15 tons, it would need ~15 kN of thrust to have a 1:1 TWR at 0.1 G. At 0.8 G (jool surface gravity), it would need ~120 kN of thrust to have a 1:1 TWR.  0.013/120 = 0.000108 TWR. Required L/D for atmospheric flight would be about 920:1.

Not possible to do with a rocket design. You'll need a propeller that abuses reaction wheels, or a dragless fairing exploit

Edited by KerikBalm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.