Jeb's Spaceport Part 27: Rescue from the Mun

roboslacker

WPsKNdY.png

After about 15 minutes with Gimp, I've edited a Jeb's Junkyard flag into a Jeb's Spaceport flag. There's some white pixels around the edges that I don't know how to get off, but it's passable. If anybody feels like making a cleaner version go on ahead. In other news, I am changing the title of this thread to "Jeb's Spaceport" when I post the next part.

Part 14: Relay Network

Spoiler

Jebediah's bid for the relay network was quickly accepted by the communications committee, mostly because of his 'advertisement'. Jebediah immediately accepted the contract, as he was anxious to cement the existence of his new venture.

jGqJRby.png

As the contract called for a KEO orbit, a more powerful launch vehicle was needed. Switching out the salvaged SRB for a newly fabricated liquid fueled rocket had been enough.

qDYeB2T.png

The first of the three relays used a direct ascent to KEO, the other two went to LKO first.

u1CJuwE.png

4wXPe1h.png

5PXA99e.png

After nearly a week of maneuvering, the relay network was finished.

pjn7pSZ.png

It's ready now.

Part 15: Ghost Satellite

Spoiler

After putting up the relay network, the government extended a contract to Jeb's Spaceport to develop a manned LKO utility spacecraft. Jebediah's answer was the unimaginatively named JS-M-01.

pjn7pSZ.png

zubx7uJ.png

This flight was to be a full test of the system, as well as a mission to a satellite identifying itself as the "Kraken Box". It was unknown where it came from, but it's signal had been tracked since before the impact. Jebediah suspected that it was just some sort of prank.

AYGcJ55.png

Doodbo Kerman was piloting, and Trilong Kerman was tagging along as a field engineer.

ay4sngF.png

The second stage burned out prematurely, due to the sub optimal launch trajectory. The first stage would have to be redesigned to have more control.

iv4IBAT.png

The orbital maneuvering stage had well enough delta-V to compensate though.

VKsgbGx.png

Using the on board navigation computer, a rendezvous was plotted.

8DaVmbh.png

As soon as they were within visual range, Trilong Kerman looked out to the satellite, but couldn't see anything. So, it was a small satellite, which made sense. Any rocket capable of passing completely unnoticed could only have a small payload. Doodbo brought the JS-M-01 closer to the target.

dyqRuhd.png

At about a kilometer, Trilong finally saw it. Doobo canceled velocities at about half a kilometer and tried to use the RCS to get closer. "[Redacted]" he suddenly exclaimed.

"What happened" askled Trilong

"The RCS doesn't work." replied Doodbo. "You'll just have to EVA the rest of the way over."

Trilong suited up and left the JS-M-01 and made her way over to the Kraken Box.

aDcpUxH.png

The satellite was more advanced than expected, with a full RCS propulsion system and a docking port. Trilong tried pushing it over to the JS-M-01, but she couldn't get it going the right direction. Suddenly, she had a thought. "Can't we access the satellite's propulsion system and move it over to the ship?"

Doodbo passed this along to mission control, who passed it along to Probodobodyne, who said it should work. Trilong returned to the JS-M-01 while mission control tried to take control.

FzxCONA.png

After a few minutes, mission control had control over the satellite's propulsion, and brought it closer to the JS-M-01

GSOERF3.png

Trilong then manually retracted the antennae so the satellite could fit into the service bay.

Y1XmyjN.png

After a few attempts at getting the satellite into the service bay, Trilong gave up, and used the fallback plan; putting parts of the satellite into the service bay. An antennae came of easily enough, and one of the battery packs. It was harder taking off one of the monoprop tanks, but it worked. Next Trilong tried to get one of the monoprop thrusters

kKYxgst.png

"I think there was some fuel stuck in the thruster, or something". Trilong commented as the thruster flew away, never to be seen again.

"Forget the thruster, we've done enough here." replied Doodbo. Trilong made her way back into the JS-M-01, and they deorbited.

3tAzqim.png

p7ePVrL.png

3tAzqim.png

"We're coming in too hot!" Doodbo suddenly cried out, as he felt 8m/s was too much.

"Doodbo, wait!" called out Trilong, but it was too late. Doobo jumped out and fell 100 meters into the ocean.

HgT7KsZ.png

It turned out to be unnesesary, as the JS-M-01 took no damage from the landing. Doodbo felt embarrassed, but there wasn't anything he could do about it. "Okay, I'm coming back in."

"You can't climb back in, the hatch is too high. If you'd listened to me before you jumped you wouldn't be stuck in the ocean." replied Trilong. Doodbo was just left floating until the recovery crews arrived. Fortunatly, Jebediah had learned a bit about recovery since the last time, so he only had to float for two hours instead of three.

I have two questions for the audience. First off, did anybody notice the Kraken Box in earlier intallments, and second, does anybody have an idea for a proper name for the JS-M? I'm open to suggestions.

Edited by roboslacker
spelling corrction

Thanks for the suggestions, they've given me an idea for the next part.

Part 16: The Trial

Spoiler

The day had come for Gilcan's promised lawsuit. Otiosa Machina Kerman was the presiding Judge. At 0:30 in the morning Jebediah Senior, Tedhat, Gilcan, and some others were in the courthouse.  Otiosa Machina was a full 20 minutes late. The trial began at 0:50.

"Jebediah Kerman Senior, you're being prosecuted for not having permits or something like that." Began Otiosa Machina. "What do... uh, what do I say here?"

"You're supposed to say, 'what do you plead?'" volunteered Tedhat.

"You're sure?"

"Yes"

"Okay." a few minutes passed without anybody saying anything. Otiosa Machina ended the silence. "Let's start over. Jebediah Kerman Senior, you're being prossecuted for not having the right permits. What do you plead?"

"Not guilty" responded Jebediah. Jebediah had a hard time believing that Otiosa Machina was actually a Judge. The name matched what he'd seen of her so far.

"Just a moment" Otiosa Machina said as she began reading through some documents. "Oh, so that's what's happening. Could you show me the permit?"

"What permit?" asked Jebediah. Definitely an incompetent, he thought to himself.

"You know, the one you're being prosecuted over." Otiosa Machina replied.

"He can't give you something that doesn't exist." interjected Gilcan.

"Okay. In that case, Jebediah Kerman, I hearby pronounce you..."

"Wait!" shouted Jebediah. He wasn't about to become a victim of this Otiosa Machina nobody. "I have the permit here." He handed the forged document up to the judge. The judge glanced at the paper and handed it back.

"Well, that works for me. Jebediah Kerman, I find you... uh... what's that work... oh yeah! Innocent! Now you all need to clear out of here..."

"Wait!" shouted Gilcan this time. "You never checked if the document was valid. You never really looked at the document!"

"Yeah, but it's my naptime now. Goodbye everyone!" Otiosa Machina Kerman then collapsed on the floor and went to sleep.

Jebediah looked over at Gilcan, and then at Tedhat , who couldn't believe what had just happened either.

Edited by roboslacker
I decided the chapter was stronger without that last bit

Part 17: Back to the Mun

Spoiler

With the JS-M-02 ready for flight, and the general populace itching for real space exploration, Jebediah decided to shoot for the Mun.

qgTAScQ.png

The JS-M-03 lander was launched first, piloted by Doodbo

OcFDWkr.png 

fLvSXv1.png

The JS-M-02 was launched second, piloted by munar veteran Catfield, accompanied by field scientist Ribuki

wDUGlOB.png

JuoNght.png

PRA6SOf.png

After the two ships met up, they departed for the mun.

0sdcAIc.png

But Catfield was worried about the fuel levels. The JS-M-02 didn't have enough fuel to get the assembly into munar orbit. So, as they coasted to the mun, Catfield began transferring fuel from the lander to the JS-M-02. But after entering munar orbit, the problem was still there: the JS-M-02 didn't have the fuel to get back to kerbin. Well, Catfield had been stranded around the mun before, and she wasn't going to let it happen again. The remaining fuel was transferred from the lander, and the JS-M-02 and the JS-M-03 seperated. As they prepared to shove out, Doodbo left the capsule.

fALnIpv.png

"Doodbo, get back in the capsule." ordered Catfield.

"No," responded Doodbo, "We spent a lot of fuel bringing the lander here, and I'm not gonna let it go to waste."

Catfield thought a bit. "Very well. You may stay." She then piloted the JS-M-02 on a path back to Kerbin.

As the JS-M-02 coasted on back, the JS-05 was launched to refuel the JS-M-03.

tYwhlEG.png

A half hour before the JS-05 reached the munar periapsis, the JS-M-02 landed back on kerbin

qn1Yu3r.png

RFldoT2.png

UewIadB.png

Then the JS-05 arrived at the mun and did some orbital shenanigans to rendezvous with the JS-M-03.

suQcSHN.png

AqlW1p2.png

gmBXIk6.png

All the extra fuel in the JS-04 was used to put the JS-M-03 into a more normal orbit.

gtVsmqk.png

Catfield and Ribuki launched again on the JS-M-04

ruuZ4Io.png

Catfield then piloted the spacecraft over to the mun and rendezvoused with the JS-M-03.

xFqoXff.png

fsaHw2f.png

Khs19x0.png

"Okay, Doodbo, are you ready to land the JS-M-03?" asked Catfield.

"Actually, I renamed it the Doodido," replied Doodbo,"It's named after my brother, rest his soul."

"Your brother's dead?" asked Ribuki.

"No, this is the time he usually sleeps." replied Doodbo.

Ribuki was wierded out by this. Catfield, however, wasn't about to be outdone by Doodbo. "Well, I'm renaming the JS-M-04 to the Tranquility!"

Before they began the landing, Ribuki checked out the Doodido's lab.

jXmtrpK.png

Doodbo then took the Doodido down to the surface

TEnFZt3.png

YZMZKoY.png

Rikubki got out first, and set up the flag.

lDJ93Py.png

He then headed to the lab and began to science. While Ribuki did science, Doodbo step out to stretch his legs.

nW9v6vl.png

After this, they headed back up to the Tranquility, and ran out of electricity shortly after canceling velocities. As a result, Catfield had perform the docking.

bEJmWOP.png

fzK80tN.png

The last fuel was transferred out of the Doodido, and Ribuki ran the experiments again. After this, Doodbo crawled into the Tranquility, and Ribuki EVAed over. The transfer back was uneventful.

ZkWj5Uu.png

mgG4jvr.png

5fuGm1M.png

A little more than 500 science was obtained.

lZS4T6t.png

Progress:

noqogyd.png

On 6/12/2018 at 6:58 PM, roboslacker said:

Nah, I've ever only sent Kerbals to Duna. The stock system is still enough for me.

I've only ever sent Kerbals to The Mun, but I installed it just for variety's sake. I also moved Ike. (with HE)

On 6/14/2018 at 7:39 PM, roboslacker said:

WPsKNdY.png

After about 15 minutes with Gimp, I've edited a Jeb's Junkyard flag into a Jeb's Spaceport flag. There's some white pixels around the edges that I don't know how to get off, but it's passable. If anybody feels like making a cleaner version go on ahead. In other news, I am changing the title of this thread to "Jeb's Spaceport" when I post the next part.

Would you mind if I tried using this? (If I use it in Project Seeker, I'll be sure to give all credit to you)

Edited by HansonKerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.