KSP Weekly: The Lunar Greenhouse

SQUAD

I am angry, dissapointed, the new runaway and launchpad are ridiculous, the bugs are making the game unplayable, atleast fix them and then get those ugly structures and put them in 5000 thousand years, i would care less.

Pfffff what a fail of epic proportions just few weeks after the expansion hype.

(A modder could make those buildings in half an hour...what a circus, congrats)

Edited by Boyster

48 minutes ago, Not Sure said:

They stated that they were postponing it to remove issues. And of course there's an issue with everything if you look hard enough. 

I agree that they shouldn't be bundled together. I think a patch for the broken 1.4.2 should have been released ASAP, then 1.4.4 or so would have really polished content later on.

The problem, in my opinion, is that the game at current has bugs which make it impossible for casual players like me to play. I'm glad the time is being spent fixing things, but the wording in the OP implies that the fixes are for the 'new' stuff. New stuff that won't matter if the same game-breaking bugs persist. As it is, I have DLC content I cannot use because a patch to fix it is being held up due to content I didn't ask for.. Content I'm happy to get.. but would rather the stuff I paid for be fixed first. So here I sit now, broken hearted, came to land but my gear departed.

I realize there are workarounds to everything, but I'm not willing to play with mods, text file saves, etc. I didn't sign-up for a beta release so I'm not going to go breaking out notepad. The devs seem to think that such 'fixes' are permissible. They're not. 

I have commented on another thread regarding my thoughts about the current state of play regarding Squad and KSP. One thing I would like to add is -

Squad, you are advertising for game developers and QA engineers, may I suggest also employ project management, coders code, project managers make sure everything is heading in the right direction, the right decisions are made, follow a roadmap of development etc. I'm really trying to keep the faith but its extremely difficult. Listen to your customers.

KSP improves with every update.  I don't consider anything released as done and final; Squad has proved slow but dedicated to fixing, updating and expanding KSP features and art over time. KSP still feels like one of my better game purchases, when compared to other games that insist you spend on a new base product to get the latest features and art. 

2 hours ago, tater said:

Honestly, landing anything other than vertically anywhere that is not a runway should result in a total loss of the craft.

I dunno I've pulled off landing in cap points in Warthunder a few times. Only results in death on landing 90% of the time.

20 hours ago, SQUAD said:

In the meantime, we can show you some pictures of how the new Dessert Airfield/Launchpad site looks:

tumblr_inline_p7hutgtXJq1rr2wit_540.pngtumblr_inline_p7hutpelT31rr2wit_540.pngtumblr_inline_p7hutsXXpx1rr2wit_540.png

I feel the lack of infraestructure breaks immersion.There is no control tower. No roads between the hangars and the airstrip. No way for any rocket to reach the launchpad. I think this art could work as an abort field, without a launchpad, but it doesn't look like a place were gigantic manned spaceships can be launched to go where no Kerbal has gone before. And even as an abort field, why elevate the runway? And as an abort field, it would have to be east of the KSC instead of west of it (but I do like the location. It just doesn't work as an abort field, unless that's the primary facility and the KSC is the abort field)

This, for instance, is tagged as a small airport in Namibia

https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-airport-namib-desert-aerial-view-runway-small-airfield-swakopmund-area-namibia-africa-image68797730

airport-namib-desert-aerial-view-runway-

This is the more developed Mojave air and space port

8135693_orig.jpg

Edited by juanml82

3 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Do you like how it looks?

Yes.

3 hours ago, SQUAD said:

In the meantime, we can show you some pictures of how the new Dessert Airfield/Launchpad site looks:

[snip]

As mentioned before both of these features are going to be expansion exclusive, and the Dessert Airfield will be usable in all game modes.

3 hours ago, Kergarin said:

What's the length of the dessert runway compared to KSC's? 

3 hours ago, KSK said:

That dessert runway is pretty sweet.

2 hours ago, razark said:

The whole point of a dessert field is that it's supposed to be flat, and you make the runway a giant speedbump?

SQUAD has not met my expectations. Why do we need a dessert airfield when Minnmus is already made entirely of dessert?  :wink:

59 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

That Namibia airport would be perfect for Kerbal desert.You nailed it.

Now that is something worthy paying for, along with a few plane parts.

Edited by Boyster

I find it amusing to watch this intense debate about patch-priority-not-pleasing-everyone unfold for the foreverth week in a row while China growing a potato on the far side of the moon doesn't get any reaction.

Frankly a bit excessive to do that experiment there anyway, would have been a lot easier and cheaper to put the stuff in low Earth orbit and generate enough centrifugal force to match lunar surface gravity and then just send the bare bones radio stuff to the moon. Maybe China is actually doing something questionable out of sight using the potato as a cover, I'd totally pay a dollar to hear the code name for that operation.

2 hours ago, Rejected Spawn said:

I find it amusing to watch this intense debate about patch-priority-not-pleasing-everyone unfold for the foreverth week in a row while China growing a potato on the far side of the moon doesn't get any reaction.

Frankly a bit excessive to do that experiment there anyway, would have been a lot easier and cheaper to put the stuff in low Earth orbit and generate enough centrifugal force to match lunar surface gravity and then just send the bare bones radio stuff to the moon. Maybe China is actually doing something questionable out of sight using the potato as a cover, I'd totally pay a dollar to hear the code name for that operation.

The experiment includes how we will actually get the seeds to the moon not only how it will grow.

The trip is not simple and paving the road only in papers its never enough.

Edited by Boyster

13 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

May I ask... or dare I ask? Will we eventually get the old KSC2 - the one that was buried in 1.1, to play with, too? I've always wanted to use this... (and please, do not tell me to go download Kerbal Konstructs...)

Otherwise, thanks to @SQUAD, and most importantly, to its team of beta testers who do their best to break the game and find out what's wrong with it!

You don't like my mod? :o

11 hours ago, Redneck said:

at least they were honest about needing more time to release the patch. Im fine with that. Communication is a GOOD thing

Yeah unless you are a console player. 

7 hours ago, LegendaryAce said:

Nope. Now on week three. 

This is now getting to the point where I don't just feel ignored but rather Insulted by the blatant disregard for console players. 

Edited by mikey117

I think the desert airstrip/launch site is far too sparse given that it's meant for full size rocket launches and not to mention that it is also hidden behind a pay wall. @SQUAD if you want people to pay for extra content you have to make it better than the free mods we have. You guys are the professionals right?

As it stands the DLC was not worth the money. I really feel that KSP now has no direction at all.. What exactly is the end goal here? To squeeze as much cash out of it as possible or to make a coherent and quality game. The one that the actual players want? I would suggest not adding anything that nobody is asking for. It's a waste of valuable development time. Listen to the fans. They are your bread and butter.

Edited by Majorjim!

18 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

if you want people to pay for extra content you have to make it better than the free mods we have. You guys are the professionals right?

Personally, I'll pay for the DLC just to get any base-game bugfixes and performance improvements it happens to come with. I don't give a flying fig about a bunch of content that mods already provide.
Err, wait... 1.4.0 introduced a bunch of new bugs, didn't it. :huh:

23 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

As it stands the DLC was not worth the money.

To me, right now, the DLC is worth negative funds. It, and its accompanying update, break more than they fix.

21 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

I would suggest not adding anything that nobody is asking for.

Now there's a crazy idea! Maybe SQUAD could have a look over these forums, I'm sure there are plenty of things mentioned here that their fans and customers actually want...

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

Now there's a crazy idea! Maybe SQUAD could have a look over these forums, I'm sure there are plenty of things mentioned here that their fans and customers actually want...

I hear there's a suggestions sub-forum that people are still using for some reason.

The lack of surrounding infrastructure around the new launchpad/runway really detracts from it.  I appreciate the effort to add more content, but frankly if this is what is holding up the bug fix for landing legs and fairings then I'm pretty disappointed.   Especially since I already paid you for more content and I can't even use it until those things are fixed.

The bug fixes should be released ASAP and the new locations should be released later, when they're thoroughly tested and you're sure they won't introduce any more new bugs.   I'd really like to play with the DLC I paid for now, not "soon".

The mission builder was an entirely appropriate choice for the expansion. A way to make formal challenges out of what players were doing in that section of the forums. The mission builder earned higher marks in PC Gamer's review, than the new parts. 

1 minute ago, Fireheart318 said:

Two things -

1 - Are we going to be able to make and place our own launch sites?

2 - I feel like Squad/T2/??? is trying to create stock versions of mods to replace mods so they can eventually be banned. PLEASE tell me this isn't the case!

Meh... doubtful.

If that were remotely true, there are far better mods they should be targeting!

Although im not that affected myself (currently playing on 1.4.1 since 1.4.2 is broken to the point its not even useable for me as i like to use landing legs on my land things), i agree with people that its sorta lame that the patch was delayed purely for a bug in making history which doesnt even affect those of us that dont have the DLC.  I mean please improve making history, since it really isnt worth the money right now compared to the base game (unless you are a die-hard real world replica fan, and even then mods like RSS with the right part packs are a better choice), and there are so many bugs in the base game that even if making history was better it wouldnt really be all that playable right now regardless as fairing drag is a huge problem, exploding legs in 1.4.2 are perhaps even worse (loaded up 1.4.2 and went to land a tank at a base i made before, half the buildings tipped over as their legs exploded).

Granted, a single week isnt really a big deal, but it sorta sucks that the only reason the patch was delayed was a making history exclusive bug.  I understand why they really are trying with MH, since lets face it, mission builder alone is about the only thing in the expansion that has no mod equivalent, and any other content added helps improve sales for those of us that actually buy stuff that is worth the money and dont just blindly throw it at T2.  Its not going to make me personally buy the DLC (i can get much more immersive launchsites with kerbin konstructs and seeing what MH has for launchpads id rather take the FPS hit then get a super teeny launchsite with no infrastructure or believeability behind it.  Maybee the next DLC will be worth it, maybee not, either way, its not a good enough reason to delay patches to the base game, especially when said patch fixes bugs that literally make the game impossible to play without reverting to older versions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.