Procedural crewed parts

Kommodore

Hello!

I just had an idea recently :

I use KSP with FAR, procedural parts and procedural B9 wings.

What if, instead of using stock cockpits and cabins etc. , we use to design aircraft with our own cockpits and cabins?

We choose the shape, the diameter, the length, the texture and eventually the resources of the procedural part.

The program calculates crew and resources capacities following the dimensions.

Maybe even choose between a general aviation, an airliner, or spaceship IVA?

While asking about such a thing, why not a procedural unmanned pod?

Oh, my God, I am so excited about this! I know it could be VERY, VERY hard to create such a mod, though.

23 minutes ago, Kommodore said:

Hello!

I just had an idea recently :

I use KSP with FAR, procedural parts and procedural B9 wings.

What if, instead of using stock cockpits and cabins etc. , we use to design aircraft with our own cockpits and cabins?

We choose the shape, the diameter, the length, the texture and eventually the resources of the procedural part.

The program calculates crew and resources capacities following the dimensions.

Maybe even choose between a general aviation, an airliner, or spaceship IVA?

While asking about such a thing, why not a procedural unmanned pod?

Oh, my God, I am so excited about this! I know it could be VERY, VERY hard to create such a mod, though.

Making a part as complicated as a crewed part truly procedural is very very difficult. It might not even be possible. Getting the textures right would be tough. Getting the doors and ladders to line up would be really tough. Creating custom IVAs for each possible size? that would be a lot of work. Even if you could solve all that, in the end I don't think you'd end up with something that looks as good as a bespoke part.

There are tons of alternative pods out there from BDB, FASA, Tantares, Contares, Near Future spacecraft, K2, ReDirect....the list goes on an on!

Another way to look at it is that real rocket designers also have to work within design limits for the available parts. Think of it as an engineering challenge to take an off-the-shelf pod and make it work for your mission  :)

Edited by Tyko

Well, I do want this mod because I create supersonic airliners.

In the 50's, R. T. Whitcomb, an aircraft engineer that worked for NACA has attested that, on a supersonic aircraft, the sectional area of the fuselage AND the wings should be equal to the sectional area of the fuselage only on another point on the longitudinal dimension. It is called the "area rule".

That means that the fuselage should have a different diameter following if wings are present or not.

That's why I need such a mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.