The fog of war concept is really good. That way there would always be something to explore and measurements to be made. Not just science grinding until the tree is finished.

What I'd also like is random-ish events. For example: you are driving your rover and run an atmosphere experiment nth time and this time it says there's a little bit of methane in the atmosphere! So now you run a drill experiment and find some odd looking tiny rocks.

Or something like that. That way there would always be something to do on a planetary body even when all the measurements are done and I feel like this would encourage other people to search for this event and see what they find at the location (the location of the event could be different for each player and seen from the orbit).

Also deep space objects. Exoplanets, exomoons, nebulae, galaxies, FRBs, black holes merging, X-ray sources, pulsars, etc.

Edited by Wjolcz

@KSK The fog of war is somewhat implemented by Researh Bodies mod:

Only the way the dicovery work is different. But I guess i would be possible to do vie experiments as you suggested.

If there was some sort of random change of failure in the game (I know some mods that do) Engineering Points could be used to enhance reliability.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:20 AM, Wjolcz said:

The fog of war concept is really good. That way there would always be something to explore and measurements to be made. Not just science grinding until the tree is finished.

What I'd also like is random-ish events. For example: you are driving your rover and run an atmosphere experiment nth time and this time it says there's a little bit of methane in the atmosphere! So now you run a drill experiment and find some odd looking tiny rocks.

Or something like that. That way there would always be something to do on a planetary body even when all the measurements are done and I feel like this would encourage other people to search for this event and see what they find at the location (the location of the event could be different for each player and seen from the orbit).

Also deep space objects. Exoplanets, exomoons, nebulae, galaxies, FRBs, black holes merging, X-ray sources, pulsars, etc.

I agree. After a while, doing science feels like a grind and the text gets boring. We need more randomization! Instead of just ore being randomized, make gravioli deposits, radioactive deposits, and other things that can affect science! While the MPL adds some fun, it's just putting it in orbit and leaving it there for years to get science. We need an improved science system.

Also, relay antennas are way too late in the tech tree. Why would they ask you to fly to Minmus if you don't even have the commnet capabilities to support it?

Another thing: I thing there should be a toggle. The tech tree we want is normal, but there is a learners tech tree you can toggle in the menu. These will allow for more variation.

Finally, what if we had Kerbal Expertise? A scientist that knows a lot about ______ can be included in a mission and you get more interesting text and better science if he collects the _____ data.

Also, on the above quote: The whole point of KSP is to keep it simple so that it is still a game, so adding complex things or interstellar objects would make it a little complicated. If anything, maybe there are occasional solar flares that can fry comms in hard mode. Kerbol is a little too calm of a star.

Edited by HeronRocketry

7 hours ago, Ho Lam Kerman said:

Sorry if somebody has said this before (and I'm pretty sure someone has), but there's a mod known as "Better than starting manned" which will rearrange the tech tree so probes go first, then manned vehicles.

and to any others, there is a mod for anything, and getting them is fine but i want changes made to the game and a new tech tree, or one where you could chose from a list/make your own, would be prefered

Took a second to sketch a rejiggered tech tree. The general idea here is to create early branches for players who would like to start out with probes, planes or rockets and pursue those lanes directly as much or as little as they wish. The green lines are miscellaneous cross-over technologies like flight stabilization and structural components. Of course this is a rough idea, a major reshuffle like this would a fair bit of refinement in terms of how the nodes were connected and what parts they contained. The point is not to focus on any particular style of play, but to be widely usable to as many players as possible.

g4rXkoR.jpg

Edited by Pthigrivi

19 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Took a second to sketch a rejiggered tech tree. The general idea here is to create early branches for players who would like to start out with probes, planes or rockets and pursue those lanes directly as much or as little as they wish. The green lines are miscellaneous cross-over technologies like flight stabilization and structural components. Of course this is a rough idea, a major reshuffle like this would a fair bit of refinement in terms of how the nodes were connected and what parts they contained. The point is not to focus on any particular style of play, but to be widely usable to as many players as possible.

g4rXkoR.jpg

This is good. But what would be better is if the nodes had even less connections and were even more linear. Historical Tech Tree had it arranged that way. The paths you could take were very clear. I don't think the mod is still being updated tho :(.

You may say "Oh, but it's historical. KSP doesn't need that" but I feel like sometimes making things more similar to real life is better than keeping it abstract and messy. At least players know what to expect instead of being unpleasantly surprised all the time.

Edited by Wjolcz

24 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

You may say "Oh, but it's historical. KSP doesn't need that" but I feel like sometimes making things more similar to real life is better than keeping it abstract and messy. At least players know what to expect instead of being unpleasantly surprised all the time.

The historicity doesn't bother me, but I don't think it has to be as linear as all that. It really should flow naturally from the gameplay. Some lines of tech like rocket motors and structural parts start early and continue all the way through. Others, like heat control and IRSU come later and should really be accessible from multiple lanes shouldn't and not locked behind a bunch of unrelated parts. If anything my sketch should really have more interconnections, giving greater access to wheels and structural parts for probes for instance. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.