[WIP] Neist Airliner parts

neistridlar

20 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Darn. I'm really looking forward to those. Maybe even a bit too much...

From next (hopefully deleted) post: I built a DC-3 with these, and I have to say it's amazing. Also, I don't mean to sound impatient or pestery, but when will we get the 5 meter cabins? Like an estimate in weeks or months or something. Forgot to ask in the other post, so might as well ask now.

I can throw together an ugly prototype part in an hour or so if you promise to be patient and not ask for dates. All I know is that I am trying to finish up all the place holder parts of the 1.875m. What needs doing is redoing the mesh for the passenger module, probably a days worth of work. Doing all the IVA textures, probably an other days work. Then four external parts that need textures, probably a day more. Then the IVA props has to be done, and everything tested for bugs and stuff. After that is the 3.75m parts. Probably 2-3 weeks worth of work, assuming I am working on it every day.

Keep in mind this is a hobby project for me, I do not set a schedule, I do not work on it every day. Nagging only makes me annoyed.

I would love to se pictures of that DC-3 though.

21 hours ago, neistridlar said:

I can throw together an ugly prototype part in an hour or so if you promise to be patient and not ask for dates. All I know is that I am trying to finish up all the place holder parts of the 1.875m. What needs doing is redoing the mesh for the passenger module, probably a days worth of work. Doing all the IVA textures, probably an other days work. Then four external parts that need textures, probably a day more. Then the IVA props has to be done, and everything tested for bugs and stuff. After that is the 3.75m parts. Probably 2-3 weeks worth of work, assuming I am working on it every day.

Alright. I'll try my best to restrain myself from asking :D

21 hours ago, neistridlar said:

I would love to see pictures of that DC-3 though.

Alright, I'll get the game's thumbnail image of it. It's not perfectly built, but it's as good as I can get it! When taking off, the rear wheel actually lifts off the ground and it stays stable. I used AviatorArsenal for the antenna, FireSpitter for the engine mounts, and AirplanePlus for some control surfaces and the engines.

laC0bw3.png

EDIT: I'm going to build a DC-4 and a DC-4E next!

EDIT #2: Finished the DC-4 last night, I'll upload the thumbnail image when I get home.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

14 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@neistridlar About a380 parts, you don't have to worry. I am making a new diameter of parts (mk3.5) which is 3.125m in width and 5m in height and for a380-/747-sized planes.

That will be interesting to see. After mucking about with concept models I have come to the conclution that anything above 2.5m cockpits is unnecessarily large so to make the designs more flexible I think I am going to make 2.5m the base diameter of the big cockpits, but make them taper at the base, so that they will blend nicely into adapters for all kinds of large fuselages. Could probably make ones for 3.125m, mk3, mk3.5, 3.75m and 5m. Adapters are much easier to make than cockpits :D

Do you have a thread or something with this stuff in so I can have a look?

Edited by neistridlar
typo

19 hours ago, neistridlar said:

That will be interesting to see. After mucking about with concept models I have come to the conclution that anything above 2.5m cockpits is unnecessarily large so to make the designs more flexible I think I am going to make 2.5m the base diameter of the big cockpits, but make them taper at the base, so that they will blend nicely into adapters for all kinds of large fuselages. Could probably make ones for 3.125m, mk3, mk3.5, 3.75m and 5m. Adapters are much easier to make than cockpits :D

I second this!

EDIT: Just an idea, can we get a joke engine that has 999 kn of thrust and has a rainbow texture? Ya know, because why not? And with a "WHHEEEEE" noise as the engine sound!

Oh, and no mach limits! Imagine seeing something flash by at mach 6.4 going "WHHEEEEE" ;)

Edited by Kebab Kerman

5 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

I second this!

EDIT: Just an idea, can we get a joke engine that has 999 kn of thrust and has a rainbow texture? Ya know, because why not? And with a "WHHEEEEE" noise as the engine sound!

Oh, and no mach limits! Imagine seeing something flash by at mach 6.4 going "WHHEEEEE" ;)

Not in this mod. Read the OP, it clearly states that parts should be believable. It is easy enough to make that your self though, mostly just config edits, and some image editing.

Anyways, today's work. Mostly figured out how to do a passenger door. Spent a lot of time not figuring out how to make the cargo-bay module work. Still no luck. But otherwise it is functional, if not pretty.

GMBoSfJ.png

Also tore out the interior from the passenger-cabins, and rebuilt the mesh, so that I can get a more sensible UV-map, without pouring hours of manually aligning every vertex. And the engines now have thrust reversing, though I am not quite happy with how it works currently. If someone wants to take a look at that please do so.

19 hours ago, neistridlar said:

Not in this mod. Read the OP, it clearly states that parts should be believable. It is easy enough to make that your self though, mostly just config edits, and some image editing.

Anyways, today's work. Mostly figured out how to do a passenger door. Spent a lot of time not figuring out how to make the cargo-bay module work. Still no luck. But otherwise it is functional, if not pretty.

GMBoSfJ.png

Also tore out the interior from the passenger-cabins, and rebuilt the mesh, so that I can get a more sensible UV-map, without pouring hours of manually aligning every vertex. And the engines now have thrust reversing, though I am not quite happy with how it works currently. If someone wants to take a look at that please do so.

Good point. And amazing door!

EDIT: And here's the DC-4!

fy9kYQL.png

Here's the download link: https://kerbalx.com/KebabKerman/DC-4

EDIT #2: It flies like a dream! After I autostrutted it, of course... Never forget your autostrut. It will liquify your plane if you don't. And maybe destroy it's tail.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

@neistridlar Yes, my current mod (for which I am making CST-100 parts, but thinking about scrapping that) has a thread, but the airplane stuff is currently very WIP, so I will just announce progress there, once the model is at least final-ish. I will post a screenshot soon, when I remodel it, as I forgot to save before Blender crashed while trying to render a scene. Also, Mk 3.5 has changed to 3.125m by 3.75m, as 3.125m by 5m is a little bit too big.

Edited by Bottle Rocketeer 500

@Bottle Rocketeer 500I did some math to figure out how big an A380 should be according to the scale I have been using so far. It seems I am about 1.5 times smaller than the real world equivalents. Applying that to the A380 it should be 5.5m tall and 4.8m wide, So really 5m should be a good fit for the A380. Still it is ridiculously large, so I think 3.75 is still going to be a decent compromise. When I get to modeling it I will see if the cockpit turns out a reasonable size for a 3.75m fuselage. There are many other large aircraft that would be a better fit for the intermediate sizes though, like a 777 or L-1011 for instance.

XmQ2WYN.png

Also, propper textures for the 0.625m nose cones.

Have not done any modeling or texturing today. In stead I have spent a lot of time gathering together source material and digging up fuselage sizes for different aircraft. Then I made some measurements on the source material in Fusion to figure out what kind of sizes I want to make the different cockpits, and which can be combined into one. Now this is not a promise for what I am going to make, it is more of a wish list, and thinking out loud. I have compiled it all into this imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/VRp6d3j. The sizing decisions have been made based upon a scale factor of ~1/1.5 compared to the real aircraft, and for the most part this is very close, though there are of course exceptions to this.

I encourage anyone that cares to check it out and give their thoughts on my choices. Also if you have more suggestions for cockpits to make, don't hesitate to suggest them.

-edit-

forgot to show of the under-wing pylons for the engine yesterday:

8ozIW1X.png 

Edited by neistridlar

20 hours ago, neistridlar said:

Have not done any modeling or texturing today. In stead I have spent a lot of time gathering together source material and digging up fuselage sizes for different aircraft. Then I made some measurements on the source material in Fusion to figure out what kind of sizes I want to make the different cockpits, and which can be combined into one. Now this is not a promise for what I am going to make, it is more of a wish list, and thinking out loud. I have compiled it all into this imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/VRp6d3j. The sizing decisions have been made based upon a scale factor of ~1/1.5 compared to the real aircraft, and for the most part this is very close, though there are of course exceptions to this.

I encourage anyone that cares to check it out and give their thoughts on my choices. Also if you have more suggestions for cockpits to make, don't hesitate to suggest them.

-edit-

forgot to show of the under-wing pylons for the engine yesterday:

8ozIW1X.png 

Nice!

So, I though I was going to do some textures today, but somehow those textures turned into a DC-3 cockpit instead. Just in case it was not obvious the textures are entirely placeholder textures, have not even done the UV maps properly. This also is 1.875m with 1.25m nose, like the DC-9 cockpit.

Vac4d70.png

8 hours ago, neistridlar said:

So, I though I was going to do some textures today, but somehow those textures turned into a DC-3 cockpit instead. Just in case it was not obvious the textures are entirely placeholder textures, have not even done the UV maps properly. This also is 1.875m with 1.25m nose, like the DC-9 cockpit.

Vac4d70.png

looks nice tho

btw how do i edit DDS files? i wanna try texturing them

1 hour ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

looks nice tho

btw how do i edit DDS files? i wanna try texturing them

You need to convert them to a format that you can edit first. Blender can convert them, but there are other programs as well. I recommend you use a format which supports alpha channel as well. My preference is png, but there are many other popular formats as well. If you download this from my GitHub you will find that all of my textures are still in png format.

4 hours ago, neistridlar said:

You need to convert them to a format that you can edit first. Blender can convert them, but there are other programs as well. I recommend you use a format which supports alpha channel as well. My preference is png, but there are many other popular formats as well. If you download this from my GitHub you will find that all of my textures are still in png format.

hmm, but how do we convert other files into DDS?

btw uv map pls

1 minute ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

hmm, but how do we convert other files into DDS?

btw uv map pls

I don't know, probably just google it, surely there must be a program that does that. It's not strictly necessary though. From what I understand the only advantage is that they load faster. You will see that my png textures load just fine.

UV's are up on the GitHub now, look in the Neist Air - Airliner Parts/Assets/18DC3 folder. The texture is in the 18DC9 folder. There are also some SVG and XCF files there if you want to use those. I have started a little on the textures for the DC-3, basically just doing some layout work, not actually final textures. It shares a texture atlas with the DC-9.

15 hours ago, neistridlar said:

Vac4d70.png

Yes! Thank you god Neistridlar!

40 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

@Kebab Kerman If there are any airliners in specific you would like me make models for you are free to make suggestions, and I will take that into consideration when I choose what to do next. (that does not mean I will do what ever you suggest though).

Hmm... How about an Airbus Beluga cockpit, then? I would love to see that! I'm sure a few others would too!

My 2c (as a modder and not a user), after looking at the album - don't need 20 different front ends that all match the general 'jumbo airliner cockpit' aesthetic. Have a couple to make sure its covered, after that stick to more interesting/unique ones :)

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

My 2c (as a modder and not a user), after looking at the album - don't need 20 different front ends that all match the general 'jumbo airliner cockpit' aesthetic. Have a couple to make sure its covered, after that stick to more interesting/unique ones :)

That is my plan. Did you read the text? I am contemplating combining the 767, 777, a330 and a340 cokpits all into one. Though I might do only the airbus or boeing to begin with, and maybe add a mesh switch later on. The same goes for the 787 and a350. I'm thinking 2-3 for each size, at least to begin with. Definitively going for the ones that are the most different to begin with.

Dear neistridlar, just one polite request if it is possible - to make a couple of cockpits for mk2 size (2,5m) as APP does. May be smth like DC-3. civilian Boeing, C-130, etc... Some of them are already done by Fantom for KAX... but not supported, bad teturing, no IVAs...

I love 2.5 m size of APP. It's not so huge as 3.5 and quite enough for my fly cargo expeditions around Kerbin. But there is only plane cockpit in APP - airbus. Do miss Boeing and smth like cargo cockpits (why not Douglas or USSR Antonov family)...

To my mind (imho) 1,875 is the best size for business jets. May be for small regional planes. For other cases, if we are not talking about air freighliners, 2,5m size stays the better choice.

And concerning your mod - have dounloaded and tried severeal days ago. Nice job. Very tallented. Do wish U good luck and inspiration. Keep doing it ;)!

6 minutes ago, Ioseg said:

Dear neistridlar, just one polite request if it is possible - to make a couple of cockpits for mk2 size (2,5m) as APP does. May be smth like DC-3. civilian Boeing, C-130, etc... Some of them are already done by Fantom for KAX... but not supported, bad teturing, no IVAs...

I love 2.5 m size of APP. It's not so huge as 3.5 and quite enough for my fly cargo expeditions around Kerbin. But there is only plane cockpit in APP - airbus. Do miss Boeing and smth like cargo cockpits (why not Douglas or USSR Antonov family)...

To my mind (imho) 1,875 is the best size for business jets. May be for small regional planes. For other cases, if we are not talking about air freighliners, 2,5m size stays the better choice.

And concerning your mod - have dounloaded and tried severeal days ago. Nice job. Very tallented. Do wish U good luck and inspiration. Keep doing it ;)!

Thanks for the compliments. There will be many 2.5m cockpits both of Boeing and other types. I am trying to stick to a ~2/3 scale for the parts, so DC-3, which I already did the model for turned out to be 1.875m. Yesterday evening I started on a 767/777 cokpit with 2.5m base. It is designed so that it will blend nicely with both 2.5m, and adapters for larger sizes. Please if there are any specific models you would like to see post them here and I will take that in to consideration. If you look through the imgur album that I posted just a while back you will see the kind of planes I am planing to do currentlyhttps://imgur.com/a/VRp6d3j

LX6midG.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.