[WIP] Neist Airliner parts

neistridlar

Ok, so new models for the modular wings. They are not finished yet. Texture is entirely place older, and price and weight has not been adjusted at all. The files are up on the GitHub. I would love if people did some testing with them, and gave some feedback. Don't be afraid to offend me, say it as it is.

pZHb7LM.png

FAT-wings for scale.

They work pretty well the modular part gives nice wingflex with FAR. I would recommend that put slots for the control surfaces instead of attaching them to the trailing edge, and some snap points on the bottom if you decide to do custom landing gear. 

8 hours ago, Sgt_Yambag said:

They work pretty well the modular part gives nice wingflex with FAR. I would recommend that put slots for the control surfaces instead of attaching them to the trailing edge, and some snap points on the bottom if you decide to do custom landing gear. 

Thanks. I am thinking I will do Static trailing edge pieces in stead, so that you can put your control surfaces where every you want. If you look closely you will see that the trailing edge is chopped off so that it is approximately 10cm tall for this very purpose.

@neistridlar Yeah, I probably should have tried looking in the log files. Stupid me... Well, at least my location is accurate! Hopefully not permanently... When I get it working, I know exactly what I'm building next... hehe

And if you ask anybody who's met me, "hehe" in their language means "OH GOD! HE HAS AN IDEA! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"

Edited by Kebab Kerman
grammar

Had a chance to play with this a little bit today - nice mod!

Two things I noticed (I realize this is alpha and you may be aware of these but I'll toss them out in case they slipped by)

1) All your modular wings have the same mass (0.78)

2) Both the 8 and 12 passenger sections are the same model - would have expected the 12 to be longer than the 8

I really like the way you did the surface mount tanks so they look like the wing/fuselage/landing gear area of a passenger plane.

I'll be watching with interest to see where you take this mod - and thanks for sharing it with us!

8 hours ago, wasml said:

Had a chance to play with this a little bit today - nice mod!

Two things I noticed (I realize this is alpha and you may be aware of these but I'll toss them out in case they slipped by)

1) All your modular wings have the same mass (0.78)

2) Both the 8 and 12 passenger sections are the same model - would have expected the 12 to be longer than the 8

I really like the way you did the surface mount tanks so they look like the wing/fuselage/landing gear area of a passenger plane.

I'll be watching with interest to see where you take this mod - and thanks for sharing it with us!

Yes the wings have the same mass, that will be sorted out, just needed to get a feel for if the concept was sound at all.

If you look at the IVA model you will see why the 8 and 12 seat models are the same length. The 12 seat model fits more kerbals side by side.

7 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Is it just me or does the A350 cockpit look angry?

In a cudly, cosy sort of way maybe? Anyways, it turns out today is nose cone day:

NIdUXBB.png 

The textures are placeholder. Just warped the DC-9 nose cone texture so that it roughly fits. And yes that is the AN-24 nosecone on the DC-9 cockpit for those wondering. The two big cockpits don't look good with the pointier nose cones, but otherwise they are entirely interchangeable, and makes for some interesting looking mashups. I am thinking it would be a good Idea to make these a single part, and just use a mesh switcher to swap the models, so they don't clutter up the aerodynamics tab.

10 hours ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

it's ok fam, i just can't do things without procrastinating it

Procrastinating? I never do that xD. We'll see who finishes first then :D. Of course there will never be anything stopping you from taking a shot at the ones I already finished. I am always open to change and improvement.

Hey, do you think we could see new tail ramp parts in the near future? I am asking because there doesn't seem to be a wide variety of tail ramp parts out there, especially streamlined ones like those seen on the C-17, KC-390 or Il-76. A new 3.75 or even 5m part would be very nice. 

Image result for KC-390 tail

Image result for c-17 tail

Image result for Il-76 tail

Also I am really digging these parts. Keep up the fantastic work!!! 

So I planed to do the DC-3 and AN-24 textures today. Well, the DC-3 kept kicking my but over and over. Finally got something that I'm kind of happy with. Still need to tweak the color/contrast but other than that I am fairly happy.

Kr36zdp.png

And here is the reference that finally got me on the right track. Thanks to dakotanorway for using 12Mpx pictures for your thumbnails :D.

DSC_1862.jpg

Textures for AN-24 and B76 cockpits.

4yIhMl5.png

T8l9TqD.png

I do want to have a third wide-body cockpit, in addition to the B767 and A350 cockpits. Preferably something that is significantly different (so no A330 or 787). I'm thinking either DC-10/11, L-1011 or IL-86/96. Any preferences?

21 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@neistridlar Maybe the MD-12.

Funny you should mention that. Just found out about it today. I was thinking that would be a good companion for the A380 as a 5m craft, since there is not too candidates for those. I have decided there will be no double decker 3.75m fuselages. In stead they will have a roomy cargobay underneath, like the real ones does, so any double decker designs would have to be 5m. I'm wondering though if I could make an dc-10/11 cockpit also work with an adapter for 5m. And have that be a MD-12 cockpit as well. ( If I do the DC-10/11 they will have a root diameter of 3.125, but one that is conical at ~12 degrees same way my b767 cockpit is made.)

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, neistridlar said:

I'm thinking either DC-10/11, L-1011 or IL-86/96. Any preferences?

I would love a DC-10 cockpit

Edited by Dfthu

One vote for DC-10, and one for MD-12. I will have to investigate the possibility of making them both as one.

In the mean time I started doing proper textures for the CF34 engine, but decided the UVs were horrendous, and went back to the drawing-board. Now they are much better, and at the same time they only use 1/4 the texture space, and the fan is modeled and animated!

osyFRgC.png

The texture for the CF-34 is coming along. Not quite happy with it yet though. Also cleaned up many of the models, so that they match up perfectly with the nodes. 

P7Ga8zL.pngV2IcHIw.png

On 6/11/2018 at 10:17 AM, theonegalen said:

I'm a big fan of the L-1011.

Already started working on the DC-10, so that will be first. L-1011 will have to wait for now, until I have ~3 of each size. I think the 1.25m and 5m sizes might have less, but that is still like 10 cockpits already. If I am going to do more than that I feel like they need to be using some kind of part-switcher or something, and have cockpits with common themes/sizes be grouped together under one part. So DC-10 and L-1011 would be under the same part for instance.

Also, @theonegalen How are those exams coming along ;). Although I have not shown much of them, all of the cockpits have some kind of an IVA model.

2 hours ago, neistridlar said:

Also, @theonegalen How are those exams coming along ;). Although I have not shown much of them, all of the cockpits have some kind of an IVA model.

I've graduated! However, I'm now taking online courses for teacher certification. I don't foresee a lot of free time in the near future. I am looking forward to getting back to KSP as soon as possible, though!

Edited by theonegalen

Lots of stuff going on in my life the last week, so not much time for modding, but I got started on the 2.5m DC-9 cockpit today. Picture is with and without the matching nose cone. and I just re used the 1.875m texture, so that is broken of course. Will redo it from scratch at some point probably.

LHpFZYX.png

On 6/12/2018 at 6:35 PM, theonegalen said:

I'm now taking online courses for teacher certification

Careful with those courses! You might find your self with a full time job soon :P. Guess I will have to figure out this IVA stuff my self. I think I got it mostly figured out. Mostly just struggle with getting the angles on stuff right. Also, any resources on the adjustable seats you were talking about?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.