[WIP] Neist Airliner parts

neistridlar

49 minutes ago, JPmAn said:

Nice! Will it be able to carry KIS containers?

Never played with KIS before, so I would not know what the requirements for that is. Kerbals are 0.93m tall, and the cargobay here is 0.95m. Judging by the images google gives me it looks like the containers are smaller than kerbals, so in that case it would be a yes. If there are other requirements you will have to tell me, and I will look into it (I'm not opposed to doing a little extra work to be compatible with popular mods like KIS).

1 hour ago, neistridlar said:

Never played with KIS before, so I would not know what the requirements for that is. Kerbals are 0.93m tall, and the cargobay here is 0.95m. Judging by the images google gives me it looks like the containers are smaller than kerbals, so in that case it would be a yes. If there are other requirements you will have to tell me, and I will look into it (I'm not opposed to doing a little extra work to be compatible with popular mods like KIS).

The only thing I would like on that front is either an extra cabin that has the space filled, and an extra module that adds in the KIS inventory space, a part that fills the space that has the inventory, or attachment points for the small containers. The last thing can be done using the mount parts provided by KIS.

So there is now a 3.125m passenger door, and It was annoying me that the windows on the passenger cabins were not evenly spaced between parts, so I fixed that, and added an extra row of seats. the seat pitch is now 0.73m, which is the same as most real life economy carriers use, which should be plenty considering kerbals are smaller than humans. Before it was 0.8m, which seems to be what stock and APP uses, but it looks to spaced out I think. Depth mask is off course also coming, and textures still need to be done over properly, but I think I will do some fancy stuff with sharing and stacking UVs for all of the passenger cabin externals, so I am holding off on that for now.

DuQDLTD.pngr0DKnXu.png

On 7/8/2018 at 12:36 AM, JPmAn said:

The only thing I would like on that front is either an extra cabin that has the space filled, and an extra module that adds in the KIS inventory space, a part that fills the space that has the inventory, or attachment points for the small containers. The last thing can be done using the mount parts provided by KIS.

I was already thinking about making some kind of cargo container for the parts, but I did not really have a purpose for them, sounds like this would be easy to add to them. I need to think a little more about how to attach the cargo containers. I am thinking it would be real cool if there was some kind of system that made it possible to load an unload them, like give them some omni-directional wheels and docking ports or something.

On 7/3/2018 at 7:40 AM, neistridlar said:

Here are the tailcone shapes I was talking about. These models in particular are 3.75m to 2.5m. They have a 13 slope up from below, straight, or smooth transition. On top they are flat or 4 degree slope down, with and without smooth transition. for 3.125m I plan to do only the curved transition variants to 2.5m, and the same for 1.875m-1.25m and 5m-3.75m, while 2.5m to 1.25m will also get all of these variants. This is a compromise to keep the part count down (for my sanity, and your computers performance). I think it will still provide enough flexibility for tail design, it just will not enable abrupt transitions for some of the sizes. I May or may not make them hollow. It's like 3 times the work to make a hollow part. And one last thing about these. Some of the larger varieties will come in passenger cabin and passenger door varieties.

This is of course just my ideas, not much work has gone into it yet, so Things can still change.

ucipxx9.png

Also some concepts for 1.875m cargo fuselages:

3fjBKkq.png2QTT8UK.png

More stuff in the imgur album. Please read the desctiptions: https://neistridlar.imgur.com/all/

Any chance we could get a large double door style like on some older style prop planes like the DC-3

Tailcone models are shaping up. The smallest ones are 1.875m to 1.25m, the biggest is 5m to 3.75m. So far no 1.25m stuff, but there is a couple in stock that will work fine with these. These really need a part switcher thingamajig. I am thinking each base size gets one parts, with the different shapes being different variants. First time around I am not making them hollow, but I think there might be enough space on the texture map for hollow parts. Also I plan on reusing some of the models to make passenger compartments, passenger doors and possibly cargo ramps.

TcW52Fs.png

Tail cone stuff is on hold for the moment because I had some scale issues that I could not figure out, and I don't have 1.4 on my laptop, so I can not test out the part variant stuff either. In the mean time here is a 3.75m passenger cabin:

wF1gUsg.png

v77h0U9.png

Again, just reused textures. These are 2+3+2, so 7 abreast for a total of 35 kerbals, and a sizable cargo-hold. Filling these large planes with kerbals is becoming a bit of an issue though, as the game takes for ever with the "fill" command. No Idea why, but I suspect there is some code there that could do with some cleaning up.

5 hours ago, Dfthu said:

I think it would look better if you added some windows on the adapter. But looks great!

I sincerely hope you don't think the only thing wrong with the texture on the adapter is a couple missing windows. It is just the texture from a nosecone, that happened to be on the game object in unity when I swapped out the mesh. It's just a placeholder for now. I'm thinking maybe add a couple seat rows to the adapter as well as a functional door in the front. 

Been working on the more passenger cabins. I'm going to redo the 1.875m to 5 seat-rows as well. In the picture 1.875m 12 seats (will be 15), 2.5m 20 seats, 3.125m, 30 seats, 3,75m 35 seats.

mgA3EQE.png

Also tail cone pieces are in game now, but models need a little adjusting:

UE90tiI.png

It took a good it of grunt work getting the variants stuff working good, but it is finally done. It even with color coding for the different types of shapes

oLUyyon.png

Ignore the crappy texture quality, just an attempt to make my laptop not die.

1 minute ago, neistridlar said:

It took a good it of grunt work getting the variants stuff working good, but it is finally done. It even with color coding for the different types of shapes

oLUyyon.png

Ignore the crappy texture quality, just an attempt to make my laptop not die.

Sadly making parts into variants breaks some ships due to the parts being different

1 minute ago, AwkwardNoah said:

Sadly making parts into variants breaks some ships due to the parts being different

Yup, that is why this is still WIP, and not release. Until I make a proper release, I will not hesitate to break things as I see fit.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:23 PM, neistridlar said:

r0DKnXu.png

I was already thinking about making some kind of cargo container for the parts, but I did not really have a purpose for them, sounds like this would be easy to add to them. I need to think a little more about how to attach the cargo containers. I am thinking it would be real cool if there was some kind of system that made it possible to load an unload them, like give them some omni-directional wheels and docking ports or something.

When you add those cabins into the next release, could you add a second one, exactly like the first, but the interior overlay just shows through the windows? Like AirplanePlus?

EDIT: Also, I got KSP working again! WOOHOO! Also uses 1 gigabyte less RAM when playing! Poor thing was dying... :( Made a new plane at 4 AM today and turns out you should probably start with the exact center rather than build one side and then mirror (Was building a BV-238 but with a twin-fuselage design). Unfortunately, one of the the craft's horizontal stabilizers decided to commit genocide against the rest and blew up the rudders, too.

EDIT #2: Started my own mod! 

Edited by Kebab Kerman

4 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

When you add those cabins into the next release, could you add a second one, exactly like the first, but the interior overlay just shows through the windows? Like AirplanePlus?

EDIT: Also, I got KSP working again! WOOHOO! Also uses 1 gigabyte less RAM when playing! Poor thing was dying... :( Made a new plane at 4 AM today and turns out you should probably start with the exact center rather than build one side and then mirror (Was building a BV-238 but with a twin-fuselage design). Unfortunately, one of the the craft's horizontal stabilizers decided to commit genocide against the rest and blew up the rudders, too.

The plan has always been to have only windows as see through for all parts, just had not got it working on that part yet.

3 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

So, the passenger door for the 18 tail is all grey. Just a little notice that the texture isn't showing up.

Hah, it took a while before anyone noticed. The texture isn't showing up because there isn't any, and IIRC there is no animation either. I was not happy with how it was turning out, so I abandoned it. It will be gone next time I commit to github now. I plan to make a replacement eventually, based on the TCS parts.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:33 PM, AwkwardNoah said:

Any chance we could get a large double door style like on some older style prop planes like the DC-3

Super looking forward to these cargo area pictures you posted!

On 7/11/2018 at 4:06 PM, neistridlar said:

Tailcone models are shaping up. The smallest ones are 1.875m to 1.25m, the biggest is 5m to 3.75m. So far no 1.25m stuff, but there is a couple in stock that will work fine with these. These really need a part switcher thingamajig. I am thinking each base size gets one parts, with the different shapes being different variants. First time around I am not making them hollow, but I think there might be enough space on the texture map for hollow parts. Also I plan on reusing some of the models to make passenger compartments, passenger doors and possibly cargo ramps.

TcW52Fs.png

Hey man just a suggestion, instead of making a million different parts, just make a handful and make them work with tweakscale. On that note, is this compatible with tweakscale? If not I would be happy to make it so!

2 hours ago, TMasterson5 said:

Super looking forward to these cargo area pictures you posted!

Hey man just a suggestion, instead of making a million different parts, just make a handful and make them work with tweakscale. On that note, is this compatible with tweakscale? If not I would be happy to make it so!

I don't want to make the mod dependent on tweakscale, or any other mod for full functionality, and besides I already did most of the work on those tail pieces, they just need textures and they're done really. If you want to make a tweakscale patch for the mod you are welcome to do so though, but keep in mind that this is still very much WIP, and stuff is going to change.

38 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

I don't want to make the mod dependent on tweakscale, or any other mod for full functionality, and besides I already did most of the work on those tail pieces, they just need textures and they're done really. If you want to make a tweakscale patch for the mod you are welcome to do so though, but keep in mind that this is still very much WIP, and stuff is going to change.

That's fine. As long as the part names dont change it wont affect a tweakscale patch at all. 

13 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

If you're not already planning to, could you add fuel in the tailcones?

Is this question implying that I should not add it if I was planing to? Anyways, the thought has crossed my mind. I'm undecided as of yet. At least for me, when I build aircraft I usually drain any tanks in the tail to keep the fuel load balanced around the CoM, so that it does not move around in flight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.