[WIP] Neist Airliner parts

neistridlar

Small suggestion: On the passenger door modules, add a cargo-hatch on the starboard side for the cargo-hold for airliners to load luggage? Preferably far enough away from the centerline to leave room for undercarriage attachment. Either that or a cargo hatch on the passenger-cabin, so it can be opened further aft than where the nose-gear bay is located

Edited by StevieC

@StevieC I have considered doing that. I think putting it on the passenger door is the right thing to do. Putting it on the passenger cabins would mean you have quite a lot of hatches. I would do it similarly to the ones on the cargo doors, there is a good picture of on the previous page of the 3.125m cargo door. It does not extend to the center, in fact it leaves the entire floor space intact, so it should not interfere with landing gear placement.

@neistridlar Great job on these parts! The cargo bays are featured on the cargo version of my "Sequoia" craft, which can now transport cargo directly to the south pole.

https://kerbalx.com/JPmAn24/Sequoia-C

kIXfY0t.jpg

The few things I would ask for are: Half-length cargo fuselages, an IL-18 or 62 cockpit, and possibly a JT-8D

Edited by JPmAn

@JPmAn Nice plane!

8 hours ago, JPmAn said:

The few things I would ask for are: Half-length cargo fuselages, an IL-18 or 62 cockpit, and possibly a JT-8D

Half-Length Cargo fuselages have crossed my mind. Should not be to much work to implement. The JT-8D is also on my list of engines I want to do. Though it will not offer much in terms of "filling a niche" other than looking more like a JT-8D than the other engines do, so until I have covered all the niches that I want to cover, it will not be a priority. Much the same can be said for the cockpits. I will keep them in mind for future expansions, but I don't think they cover a unique niche, so other things will come first.

Have I made enough cargo bay parts now?

8a4gY8W.png

yes there are some 1.875m ones in there, and half length of all sizes. I'm having some weird issues with the cargo bay module though. If I have only one of these sandwitched between two regular parts it works fine, but if I have multiple parts after each other, all of a sudden the cargo bay stops shielding its content.

5 hours ago, neistridlar said:

Have I made enough cargo bay parts now?

8a4gY8W.png

yes there are some 1.875m ones in there, and half length of all sizes. I'm having some weird issues with the cargo bay module though. If I have only one of these sandwitched between two regular parts it works fine, but if I have multiple parts after each other, all of a sudden the cargo bay stops shielding its content.

That’s perfect. Thanks!

4 hours ago, espartanlast1 said:

can you create larger cargo transport parts to do something like the beluga or the dreamlifter?

That is an Idea i have been playing with. 5m two story passenger cabins and 5m cargobay parts to go with it. And probably a beluga style cargodoor/cockpit adapter (I'm thinking 2.5m cockpit, so it does not eat up so much space for the door). Don't think I will do anything larger than 5m though, at that point I find the craft stats to become so big KSP starts to struggle to keep things together. Also, the wingspans get ridiculous, and you start getting problems with clearing the VAB and stuff like that.

New preview-release is up on github now, for those that like that.

3 hours ago, JPmAn said:

@neistridlar C-Series? It looks awesome by the way!

1 minute ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@neistridlar What diameter? Also, you beat me to it- I was planning to make A-220 parts soon, though I will still probably do it.

Yup, both are correct. It is 2.5m, scale-wise that was closest to the other parts, though it is kind of in-between. Don't let me hold you back from making your own though. Plenty of space for all of us.

5 hours ago, espartanlast1 said:

with some small changes and increase in diameter, you could make a cockpit similar to the 787

Well, yes and no. They are similar looking, but the proportions are off, especially for the windows. If I were to do a 787 cockpit I would rather start from scratch. 

OUy1s7J.png

Don't think I need to say much about this one, but it is 2.5m

Edited by neistridlar

3 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

How about a spinning fan intake, like on single-part turbofans, but just as an intake? It's in the intake catagory, but acts like an engine, but doesn't produce thrust. Acts like a normal turbofan in animation, but is really an intake.

I could make a part with an engine module with practically 0 thrust and stupid high ISP, and an intake module to make that happen. Though, other than to make a more realistic looking intake for the Wheesley, I can't think of a situation where it would make sense mechanically (since the fan would have to be connected by a shaft to the engine, and long shafts are just unnecessary weight). Do you have a specific application for it?

14 hours ago, neistridlar said:

I could make a part with an engine module with practically 0 thrust and stupid high ISP, and an intake module to make that happen. Though, other than to make a more realistic looking intake for the Wheesley, I can't think of a situation where it would make sense mechanically (since the fan would have to be connected by a shaft to the engine, and long shafts are just unnecessary weight). Do you have a specific application for it?

Nope, I just like spinny intakes. As long as there is a spinny intake engine thing with no thrust I'm happy

Plus I can tweakscale it into a planet grinder :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.