[WIP] Neist Airliner parts

neistridlar

9 hours ago, epicman81 said:

any plans for a 747 and A380 parts

I do have Ideas for a radially attached 747 like system, similar to my conformal tanks. They would be made to fit 3.75m. Also I have planed to do a 5m A380 part set. There will be 5m cargo bay parts to go with that as well. I will not make any promises right now though, I have too many half finished parts as it is.

On 9/25/2018 at 11:33 AM, neistridlar said:

I do have Ideas for a radially attached 747 like system, similar to my conformal tanks. They would be made to fit 3.75m. Also I have planed to do a 5m A380 part set. There will be 5m cargo bay parts to go with that as well. I will not make any promises right now though, I have too many half finished parts as it is.

Oh yes

EDIT: Add more lift to the wings, too, I made a 747-400 with everything accurately placed, removed all but the fuel in the first two wing sections and the wing mount, and it still can't pull up. It just gently glides into the water, where it promtly annihilates itself and flings parts into the VAB, obliterating it. That happened 90% of the time. I did manage to get a 747SP into the air, though. Smolboi for the win!

EDIT #2: Also, can we get more 37-31 and 31-25 parts?

Edited by Kebab Kerman

So I used your parts to create this beast, and they work wonderfully! Sadly I had to use the Goliath engine since your CF6 + mount turned out to be a little too heavy when going for a scaled-up turbofan engine. It would also be nice to see a streamlined tail ramp since the only tailramp I could find is too steep and belongs more on a prop, not a jet transport. That and a set of doors like on a C-17 would be icing on the cake. Keep up the terrific work!

WKTJQMg.jpg

scdN0EZ.png

72cSN6p.png

Edited by AirShark

23 hours ago, Audiobotguy03 said:

Do you have any plans or ideas of adding propeller engines into the mod, maybe some turboprops or piston engines?

I have been thinking about that. A PW100 series (Turboprop) engine would probably be appropriate. And probably a version of the PW Twin Wasp would fit well with the mod as well. If you have any engines in particular you would like to see, please feel free to make suggestions (keeping in mind that I'm only really interested in the airliner side of things).

@AirShark That is a really nice plane! May I ask where the wing pieces came from? And yes, I do want to do some more streamlined tail-ramps at some point. I think I posted screenshot of a mock-up for one somewhere in this thread. That one had side-folding doors, and a "telescopic" ramp inside that tilts down and extends.I might look into a C-17 style one for 3.75m though, seems several people would like that.

With regards to my engines, I have erred a little-bit on the side of under-powered, rather than overpowered. The stock engines have TWRs of ~8.5, mine has ~6.5, and real world engines ~5. Stock ones are also ridiculously powerful for their size, having basically the same thrust as their real-world counterparts, while being only 65% the size. I might increase the thrust a little-bit, to be more inline with stock performance if people think that would make the mod more enjoyable, though I don't want to make something overpowered.

On 9/25/2018 at 6:34 PM, Kebab Kerman said:

EDIT: Add more lift to the wings, too, I made a 747-400 with everything accurately placed, removed all but the fuel in the first two wing sections and the wing mount, and it still can't pull up. It just gently glides into the water, where it promtly annihilates itself and flings parts into the VAB, obliterating it. That happened 90% of the time. I did manage to get a 747SP into the air, though. Smolboi for the win!

So, what kind of speeds did you reach? And, the big wing-pieces hold ridiculous amounts of fuel (even-though They are only using ~30% of their actual volume for fuel), so they can become stupid heavy. The lift is based off of the actual wing area, and set to the same value/area as the stock FAT wings, so I feel that they should be sufficient. Though if more people think it is too low, I might change it.

On 7/10/2018 at 4:23 PM, neistridlar said:

I was already thinking about making some kind of cargo container for the parts, but I did not really have a purpose for them, sounds like this would be easy to add to them. I need to think a little more about how to attach the cargo containers. I am thinking it would be real cool if there was some kind of system that made it possible to load an unload them, like give them some omni-directional wheels and docking ports or something.

May I suggest that, if you do, make half and full-width ULD cargo containers for the cargo parts. As for how to attach, touch base with the crew working on Universal Storage... they have some black magic way with KIS to simply grab and place parts onto a storage rack without tools.

On 9/3/2018 at 12:26 PM, neistridlar said:

Well, yes and no. They are similar looking, but the proportions are off, especially for the windows. If I were to do a 787 cockpit I would rather start from scratch. 

OUy1s7J.png

Don't think I need to say much about this one, but it is 2.5m

Can you make a variant with eyebrow windows? I know they're not in new production aircraft, but since the cockpit is pretty much identical to the one used on the 707/720/KC-135 and 727, it'd be a nice touch for builds like those.

1 hour ago, neistridlar said:

So, what kind of speeds did you reach? And, the big wing-pieces hold ridiculous amounts of fuel (even-though They are only using ~30% of their actual volume for fuel), so they can become stupid heavy. The lift is based off of the actual wing area, and set to the same value/area as the stock FAT wings, so I feel that they should be sufficient. Though if more people think it is too low, I might change it.

Oh.

Ooooohhhh... That makes sense. I'm only getting up to 125 or so m/s and can't take off until the end of the runway. Now that you say it holds more fuel than it should, it makes more sense...

24 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Oh.

Ooooohhhh... That makes sense. I'm only getting up to 125 or so m/s and can't take off until the end of the runway. Now that you say it holds more fuel than it should, it makes more sense...

Only 125? That's a whole lot. Typical airliners take off around 80m/s, at which point you have less than half the lift. Could I have a look at the craft-files (unless it needs hundreds of mods)?

Just now, neistridlar said:

Only 125? That's a whole lot. Typical airliners take off around 80m/s, at which point you have less than half the lift. Could I have a look at the craft-files (unless it needs hundreds of mods)?

Well, it needs more lift, that's the problem. It's using your 37-cabins as the main deck and your 31-cabins for the upper deck. I'll check the COM and COL and see if they are positioned right later.

5 hours ago, neistridlar said:

I have been thinking about that. A PW100 series (Turboprop) engine would probably be appropriate. And probably a version of the PW Twin Wasp would fit well with the mod as well. If you have any engines in particular you would like to see, please feel free to make suggestions (keeping in mind that I'm only really interested in the airliner side of things).

@AirShark That is a really nice plane! May I ask where the wing pieces came from? And yes, I do want to do some more streamlined tail-ramps at some point. I think I posted screenshot of a mock-up for one somewhere in this thread. That one had side-folding doors, and a "telescopic" ramp inside that tilts down and extends.I might look into a C-17 style one for 3.75m though, seems several people would like that.

With regards to my engines, I have erred a little-bit on the side of under-powered, rather than overpowered. The stock engines have TWRs of ~8.5, mine has ~6.5, and real world engines ~5. Stock ones are also ridiculously powerful for their size, having basically the same thrust as their real-world counterparts, while being only 65% the size. I might increase the thrust a little-bit, to be more inline with stock performance if people think that would make the mod more enjoyable, though I don't want to make something overpowered.

Thanks! 

I've seen those images and they look great! Exactly what I'm looking for. My craft is 5.5m wide so a 3.75m wide fuselage shouldn't be a problem as long as I have a tweakscale patch. And yeah, I've noticed how OP those stock engines are. They're ridiculous (I a good way), but I don't mind the CF6s being a little underpowered. 

11 hours ago, neistridlar said:

Sorry for the late reply but, here is my only one engine request.

Turbomeca Astazou

225-2.jpg

(An image of the engine on the Handley Page Jetstream T-1 aircraft)

A 3 bladed gas turbine driven propeller engine (turboprop) used in mostly private passenger planes. (Also used in military aircraft and in helicopters as a turboshaft.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbomeca_Astazou

PS: The engine's propeller can have 4 blades too, if you want.

Edited by Audiobotguy03

3 hours ago, Audiobotguy03 said:

Sorry for the late reply but, here is my only one engine request.

Turbomeca Astazou

*picsnip*

(An image of the engine on the Handley Page Jetstream T-1 aicraft)

A 3 bladed gas turbine driven propeller engine (turboprop) used in mostly private passenger planes. (And in military aircraft and helicopters as a turboshaft.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbomeca_Astazou

PS: The engine's propeller can have 4 blades too, if you want.

Ooooh, that's a good one. Second this request.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, espartanlast1 said:

when is the release of the next update? i expect the double deck fuselages

1. The next release will come when it's ready... No sooner.

2. The way you put your second sentence is quite rude, as that can be read as a demand... rtfm.gif

13 hours ago, espartanlast1 said:

when is the release of the next update? i expect the double deck fuselages

@MaverickSawyer is pretty much spot on.

This is a passion project for me, there are no deadlines or schedules, I work on it when I have the time and motivation to do so, which lately has been lacking. Expect it to be some time before you see anything new here.

Also, while I do appreciate the your enthusiasm, as @MaverickSawyer pointed out, your comment reads as if I owe you those parts. I have tried to make it clear that I make no promises to any content for this mod. And considering that I am making this and giving it away for free to everybody, you included, I don't quite see how I would owe you anything, quite the opposite in fact. I don't feel offended by this, I know it comes from a good place, but a lot of creators do. Keep in mind your body-language is lost when you type. A better way to express what I think you really meant would be: "I am really looking forward to the double deck fuselages, I hope you do those next :D".

On 9/25/2018 at 6:34 PM, Kebab Kerman said:

EDIT #2: Also, can we get more 37-31 and 31-25 parts?

Sorry for taking half of an eternity to reply to this, I just noticed it. I want those too. Are there any shapes in particular you want? I am envisioning more cockpit adapters, a symmetric 13 degree slope, a 13 degree on top, 4 degree on bottom, and a 13 degree on top, straight on bottom, of both sizes.

On 10/9/2018 at 7:33 AM, neistridlar said:

-snip-

Sorry for taking half of an eternity to reply to this, I just noticed it. I want those too. Are there any shapes in particular you want? I am envisioning more cockpit adapters, a symmetric 13 degree slope, a 13 degree on top, 4 degree on bottom, and a 13 degree on top, straight on bottom, of both sizes.

Exactly what I was thinking! Also, how about double-bubble fuselages? I find it a pretty good concept, plus (as far as I know) there isn't a mod that has double-bubble fuselages yet.

5 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Also, how about double-bubble fuselages

I have considered them, as most non wide-body airliners use some variant of that, but I don't feel like it is worth it to create new bulkheads for something that is just slightly different, and thus making them incompatible with all other parts.

3 hours ago, neistridlar said:

I have considered them, as most non wide-body airliners use some variant of that, but I don't feel like it is worth it to create new bulkheads for something that is just slightly different, and thus making them incompatible with all other parts.

I agree. Balancing accuracy with the LEGO-like possibilities is the key here.

Ok, so, I made a massive airliner with 10 Goliath engines, 3 decks with the middle one being a double-bubble fuselage, and wings that look like sideways Y's from the front.

Here is a very bad image made in Google Docs, but without the engines: 

1yLQxxG.png

I'll upload a screenshot later today.

EDIT: This is the Boeing 747SP I built!

zmFy9Hl.png

And here's a -400!

49fcLQS.png

EDIT #2: Here are the images I promised yesterday!

q4wqA9x.png

GeM8O6h.png

b1Yl4wb.png

And then a wing sheared off. And with it an engine.

kzzDAnT.png

FYI: This thing is an absolute piece of junk and I hate it as much as I can. 

Edited by Kebab Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.