[WIP] Neist Airliner parts

neistridlar

Alright, two for nill against. I think we have a winner. There is still some room for improvement on the cockpit textures, but I am sick and tired of it now, so I will take a break form it and work on the other parts. Also Flags! And started to use GitHub.

MwKhtdr.png

Alright, Still sick of texturing, and as a bonus I managed to delete the source files for the textures, and all the blender files and unity files :/. Still had the .mu files and the finished textures, so it is not as bad as it seems, but still annoying. Anyways, I made the models for 0.93m engines with side mount pylons, and conformal tank parts. Textures are obviously still placeholder, but balancing wise I think I am fairly close. Would love if someone took a closer look at them.

6CcO7nW.pngt6KzLGG.png

@Bottle Rocketeer 500 Yeah, I thought about that. For now I think I will just leave it like it is. That is also how the Lotus engine from Airplane Plus is modeled, and it does not bother me all that much. I will consider reworking the model in the future though.

I think I have the reached the minimum amount of parts now to have this be a viable as a pack for 1.875m airliners, though I have started work on two passenger doors. One like the ones in Aiplane Plus, and also one that is also an adapter from 1.875m to 1.25m tail booms. No pictures yet. Also I would like to have one more cockpits to choose from. I am thinking it would be based on an older model. Right now I am looking at a DC 9/ MD 80 hybrid. If I can make it I want the front to be 1.25m, so that there is large flexibility in nose shapes, though It might be too large. 0.9375m looks like a more promising option right now, though I don't think the nose cone selection is so wide for this, so I would have to make those as well.

Are there any older airliner cockpits you think would fit for the 1.875m size? I am thinking mostly aircraft that had 1+2, 2+2 or 2+3 seating arrangements. Some really old stuff would be nice. Also preferably something that has not been done by a lot of other mods yet.

7 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@neistridlar Though not too old, I would like a cockpit like on the Embraer 175:

-snip-

Hm, that looks very similar to the Dash-8, which I have also been looking at. Maybe I need to consider the 0.9375m nose cone idea more. I think those could be combined in to one cocpit, but with two different nosecones. 

Anyways, here is a prototype DC9 with 1.25m nose cone. More images in the album in the OP.

L5LdA0i.png

3 hours ago, neistridlar said:

Right now I am looking at a DC 9/ MD 80 hybrid. 

A MD-80 Cockpit would be great!

Edit: I guess I summoned the MD-80!

Edited by Dfthu

MD 80/DC 9 with 1.25m nosecone is definitively going to be a thing. Now it has a slightly better external model, a proper IVA model, and slightly better textures. The GameData files on GitHub are now up to date. Also If anyone has any good suggestions for names for the parts I'm all ears.

QC0iQxY.png

8 hours ago, TK-313 said:

@neistridlar I wonder if a Tupolev cockpit is a possibility...

-snip-

That is definitively a possibility. A very interesting looking one. @theonegalen google tupolev tu-104 cokpit. The nosecone is where the navigator sits. has a chair and table. The instrument panel has a big gap in the middle for access.

"Let there be light" he said. Then he pulled out his hair for hours on end because there was no light. Until @CobaltWolf came to the rescue late at night. Then there was light.

VQVA6TS.png

Also looked at a whole bunch of videos and pictures from inside these cockpits, and did some adjustments to the models. I would love if someone would install them, and give me some feedback on them. Textures and props are obviously place holders, and I seem to recall that there is a hole in the roof on one of them. What I am mos interested in is whether I should try to change the models in some way to get a better/more useful view (though keep in mind that head space is at a premium), and also if, and where I should add more detail to the model.

@TK-313 I have been looking some more at the TU-104 cockpit, and its shape. I think for it to not have a very wide square fore head, the kerbals will have to sit very close together, so no one could pass and enter the navigator position. I think it would be better suited for 2.5m, which is a fair distance down the road for me currently.

5 meters!? FIVE METERS!? Why so large of a fuselage?

Not that I'm complaining, obviously, I'm actually overjoyed, because now I can make flying cruise ships without using 200 parts... I will definitely download this when I get home ;)

2 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

5 meters!? FIVE METERS!? Why so large of a fuselage?

Not that I'm complaining, obviously, I'm actually overjoyed, because now I can make flying cruise ships without using 200 parts... I will definitely download this when I get home ;)

Because I can? 1,875m first though. Then 3,75. 5m really is not a priority, since it is just ludicrous. 

1 hour ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Can we get wings with landing gear? If you don't mind, that is.

That would be rather inflexible I think, with regards to design. I have contemplated doing some that are similar to the ones from APP that fold inward, and design them specifically to be used embedded in the wing, and also do some custom drag cubes to fool the game into having reasonable drag behavior for such a part (the APP ones are fairly boxy, so the game applies a lot of drag to them). 

If you have a good Idea of how to do them I am willing to listen though. Keep in mind I want to do "lego parts" so you can do as much as possible with as small of a part set as possible.

29 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

That would be rather inflexible I think, with regards to design. I have contemplated doing some that are similar to the ones from APP that fold inward, and design them specifically to be used embedded in the wing, and also do some custom drag cubes to fool the game into having reasonable drag behavior for such a part (the APP ones are fairly boxy, so the game applies a lot of drag to them). 

If you have a good Idea of how to do them I am willing to listen though. Keep in mind I want to do "lego parts" so you can do as much as possible with as small of a part set as possible.

Ah, gotcha. I think I might know a way. How about gear that fold sideways? Maybe something like the 737. Also, are the 5 meter cabins in any releases yet? Just want to make sure I got the latest version.

2 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Ah, gotcha. I think I might know a way. How about gear that fold sideways? Maybe something like the 737. Also, are the 5 meter cabins in any releases yet? Just want to make sure I got the latest version.

That is excactly what I meant by fold inwards. And no, the 5m cabins are not in any release yet. Only the 1.875m ones, and they are strictly speaking not even released yet, just a "sneak peak". What ever is on the GitHub is the latest and greatest.

16 hours ago, neistridlar said:

That is excactly what I meant by fold inwards. And no, the 5m cabins are not in any release yet. Only the 1.875m ones, and they are strictly speaking not even released yet, just a "sneak peak". What ever is on the GitHub is the latest and greatest.

Darn. I'm really looking forward to those. Maybe even a bit too much...

From next (hopefully deleted) post: I built a DC-3 with these, and I have to say it's amazing. Also, I don't mean to sound impatient or pestery, but when will we get the 5 meter cabins? Like an estimate in weeks or months or something. Forgot to ask in the other post, so might as well ask now.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.