How do you pronounce “Mun?”

HeliosPh0enix

How do you pronounce “Mun”?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce the name of Kerbin’s closest natural satellite?

• “Mun” as in money or monkey
    • “Moon” because it’s easier
    • “Mün” like a soft myuhn because that’s how it’s spelled on the title screen
    • “Mun” as in kind of between the first choice and Moon because you want it to sound different, but not as different as Mun
    • Something else (describe in comments)

Pretty close to "moon", perhaps with a slight tinge of "u" as in "put".

Actually, most of the difference between my pronunciation of "Mun" and "Moon" isn't in the vowel sound, it's with the N at the end:

I find that I tend to "clip" the "n" at the end of Mun so it's more of a hard-stop, rather than the more drawn-out moonnnn sound I tend to use for "moon".

15 minutes ago, Snark said:

Pretty close to "moon", perhaps with a slight tinge of "u" as in "put".

Actually, most of the difference between my pronunciation of "Mun" and "Moon" isn't in the vowel sound, it's with the N at the end:

I find that I tend to "clip" the "n" at the end of Mun so it's more of a hard-stop, rather than the more drawn-out moonnnn sound I tend to use for "moon".

I’m pretty much the same way. I think it comes from me wanted to say it differently that Earth’s Moon, but the full Mun sounds a bit strange to me. 

I feel like in the early days Manley pronounced it option 4/snark style and that's why I always hear it in my head that way. 

Its a shortened vowel like the u in "quiz", but without the i sound that follows. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

1 minute ago, Tewa said:

"Mun" like "monkey" when I remember to. But usually I slip into "moon".

However, I do usually use "munar" instead of "lunar".

I generally pronounce it like Moon, but I tend to extend the ooh sound to be more like Mooon.  I also use Munar instead of Lunar and Peri/Apomune when discussing the Munar Apsis.

Likewise, I try to inject a little kerbal into the notation for the other planets, I'll occasionally use words like Apokee or Perikerbolian.

I don't think so.  They had to update the display font before they could localise, which ended up being part of the UI upgrade back in ... 1.1, was it?

Of course, if you're talking about pre-0.18, then I'm not certain at all.

Anyway, I pronounce it mun, but only while I'm taking off from there.  When I'm landing, it's important for me to use the shorter mun because I usually have a lot going on and do not wish to crash.  If I'm planning on orbiting, I'll call it a cismunar injection if I'm going to a prograde orbit, but I'll change it a bit and call it a transmunar injection if I'm going to a retrograde orbit.  The difference is subtle, but then again, so it is with the injection.

Once I'm in orbit and want to describe the parameters, I choose instead to go for maximum snobbishness and say pericynthion and apocynthion, even though those terms are so old that no one recognises them anymore--that's part of the appeal.

Truly, it does not matter.  Use what you like; if you wish, download Kopernicus and rename the Mun to Billy Bob's Cajun Spice Shack in the Sky--with apologies to @Cydonian Monk, of course--and spend the rest of the game crashing rockets into it because you're giggling at yourself too much to be able to land.

5 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

I feel like in the early days Manley pronounced it option 4/snark style and that's why I always hear it in my head that way. 

Its a shortened vowel like the u in "quiz", but without the i sound that follows. 

Iol I gave it a try and resulted in a drop of water sound after the m. Cracked me up. The only time I have made that water drop noise with my mouth was when trying to do it by flicking my cheek. And now I can’t do it again. Well I can quietly but not loud like the first time. 

Oh! like fun

Edited by bonyetty

The 'oo' in moon is long. So for Mun I say it shortly.

I have two different u's (u and ó) to pronounce within my language plus one English oo, only difference between them is their length.

Ó sounds the shortest, then is regular u, and oo is the longest.

Same as ee in weekend and i in witch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.