How do you pronounce “Mun?”

HeliosPh0enix

How do you pronounce “Mun”?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce the name of Kerbin’s closest natural satellite?

• “Mun” as in money or monkey
    • “Moon” because it’s easier
    • “Mün” like a soft myuhn because that’s how it’s spelled on the title screen
    • “Mun” as in kind of between the first choice and Moon because you want it to sound different, but not as different as Mun
    • Something else (describe in comments)

6 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I have two different u's (u and ó) to pronounce within my language plus one English oo, only difference between them is their length..

Which language is that?

@bonyetty Haha that's great. I think the same vowel can be achieved by sayin Mun in a scottish accent, which probably also isnt a coincidence. 

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

Which language is that?

Polish.

Going lil' bit off-topic, it also has two 'h's (h and ch, both sound almost the same, so far the only person I know that can hear the difference is myself) two ż (rz and ż, it sounds more or less like J in 'je suis")... Yeah good luck with that.

3 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Ok... that one made me smile. 

I doubt many will get the reference. :wink:

EDIT: On second thoughts, I understand it has been on TV so maybe more will.

Edited by Daveroski

Not sure how that umlaut actually affects pronunciation but I go with option one for satellite bodies in general and option two for the specific case of  Kerbin's largest satellite. In other words the Mun (pronounced to rhyme with soon) is a mun (pronounced to rhyme with bun) of Kerbin. Likewise Ike is a mun of Duna.

I use "moon". Not because "it's easy" as your vote option suggests, but because it's the way I learned it from watching Scott Manley videos. He was the first person I ever heard pronounce it. He does add a bit of a flourish to the "u" sometimes, but his pronunciation is a lot closer to "soon" than "fun"

2 hours ago, Tyko said:

I use "moon". Not because "it's easy" as your vote option suggests, but because it's the way I learned it from watching Scott Manley videos. He was the first person I ever heard pronounce it. He does add a bit of a flourish to the "u" sometimes, but his pronunciation is a lot closer to "soon" than "fun"

I would agree with that. I watched his entire Interstellar Quest when I first started playing KSP, so his accent is kind of ingrained in my brain when it comes to pronouncing things in KSP. I tend to say it almost like “Moon”, but with a shorter, more clipped sound on the “oo” so its almost like a “ü”. 

I pronounce it the way Scott Manley does, maybe a bit exaggerated.

They did the ''ü'' thing because it looks super cool and metal, but it isn't pronounced with an ''ü'', apparently. I can't directly confirm my statement.

23 hours ago, Daveroski said:

I understand it has been on TV so maybe more will.

25 years ago... longer than (I'm guessing) the mean age of the average KSP player....   But as much as I love the book, I don't know if I'd remember it without hearing it in Bill Fagerbakke's voice...  Which coincidentally is Patrick from SpongeBob...

28z7nx.jpg

5 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

I remember the days when the inner natural satellite of Kerbin was spelled Mün in-game.

*sighs*

Then some uppity youngsters had to and get lazy and swapped the umlaut for a "u". ;) 

That's what I thought!  Coulda sworn I'd seen it written like that in game before...

And the other day I got to talking about Lunar eclipses with some co workers.   Except I kept calling them Munar eclipses.   20 minutes goes by before one of the confusedly asks why I was calling it munar instead of lunar.   That's a tough one to explain, when my knowledge of them should imply I know what they are called....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.