DCS World(Digital Combat Simulator) Chat Thread!

DCS  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like DCS(after playing it a few times)?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sort of
    • Not really
    • I'm not sure
  2. 2. Could it be improved?

• Nope
    • Definitely
    • Mabybe
    • Don't know
    • Not much

Simply a place to talk about DCS World. Share your ideas, chat about DCS, and have fun!

Here are the things I like about DCS World:

#1. IT'S FREE! You don't have to pay for the game itself. just the extras.( it comes with some airplanes by default (SU-25T, TF-51D)).

#2. DCS 1.5(not 2.5) runs very fast on junk computers(like used $300 laptops) as long as you turn the quality settings to the lowest setting(it still looks great)(I have a $310 used HP EliteBook 8460P).

#3. You can download hundreds of 3rd party add-ons for DCS for free.

Rules:

1. No inappropriate or vulgar comments allowed here. keep it mild and appropriate.

2. No auguring. Especially about what you think is better.(What you think is better might be worse to someone else) I'm not saying you can't say "the f-15 is worse than a f-14", but don't turn it into an argument. There's no right and wrong here.

For newbies: 

1:  Check out the ED's(Eagle Dynamics) Website.:     (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/index.php)

2: Create a free account with Eagle Dynamics with the website listed above.(or here https://forums.eagle.ru/?langid=1)

3: Download and install DCS from the website. (Help can be found here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/)

Have fun and I hope it works for you!

Also please take a moment to fill out my poll.

Here are some of my brother's( @dundun92) videos:

Also it would be nice uf you give this a thumbs up(like this thread).

Edited by Guest

I noticed that when you were pulling positive G's it simulated greyout into blackout, but when you pulled negative G's there was no redout (not that I saw). From my understanding, redout comes on quicker and has more damaging effects. Is this not simulated in the game as well? Does the game simulate full blackout (IE: find yourself waking up with the ground rushing at your face :/ )?

Looks interesting. Not familiar with either of the two default craft however. I'll take an F-16 please.

39 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Does the game simulate full blackout (IE: find yourself waking up with the ground rushing at your face :/ )?

Yes, if you pull excessive positive Gs, you blackout totally for 15-20 sec.

3 hours ago, LordFerret said:

From my understanding, redout comes on quicker and has more damaging effects.

Correct.

Looks interesting. Not familiar with either of the two default craft however. I'll take an F-16 please.

You can buy flaming cliffs 3 for $45.($20 on sale). You can get a free f-16 form a unofficial 3rd party developer.( @dundun92 can show you how)

How do you like the game?

Edited by Guest

I'll take an F-16 please.

Unfortunately, no official F-16s (either by ED (Eagle Dynamics) or by any official 3rd party developers) are available. ED has stated intentions to make an F-16 in the future, but "future" probably means 2021-2023, if not later. For now, you will have to content with the $50 FC3 pack (F-15C, A-10A, Su-27/33, MiG-29A/G/S), or the  $50-$80 full-scale modules(Mirage 2000C, AV-8B, F-5E, AJS-37, F/A-18, and the upcoming F-14A/B, plus other various trainers, the A-10C, and some helis.) There are 2 free unofficial F-16s available. One requires FC3, and uses the avionics from the F-15C and A-10A. The other doesn't need any additional addons, but you can only use IR missiles and the cannon.

1 hour ago, dundun92 said:

uses the avionics from the F-15C

That would work.

Went to the site, read through, saw a lot of stuff I liked. M'Lady would flip if I surprised her with this, the map containing most of the Republic of Georgia... she's from Kutaisi. I have an interest in a few of the campaigns I saw; Georgian War, Stone Shield, and a few others. What I didn't like was the needed specifications; My machine is an i7, and it's damn fast, but it lacks the other requirements (memory and *better* graphics card) for me to consider it a worthwhile venture. I bought this machine (this laptop I'm on) for KSP, which runs great, but I'm afraid it would dog on DCS. I would need to rebuild my desktop machine first (it's on the to-do list, but not anytime tomorrow), as flying (keyboard, mouse, stick, laptop sidekick) - I need real estate to work with.

5 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

That would work.

Went to the site, read through, saw a lot of stuff I liked. M'Lady would flip if I surprised her with this, the map containing most of the Republic of Georgia... she's from Kutaisi. I have an interest in a few of the campaigns I saw; Georgian War, Stone Shield, and a few others. What I didn't like was the needed specifications; My machine is an i7, and it's damn fast, but it lacks the other requirements (memory and *better* graphics card) for me to consider it a worthwhile venture. I bought this machine (this laptop I'm on) for KSP, which runs great, but I'm afraid it would dog on DCS. I would need to rebuild my desktop machine first (it's on the to-do list, but not anytime tomorrow), as flying (keyboard, mouse, stick, laptop sidekick) - I need real estate to work with.

I run DCS 1.5 perfectly fine on a laptop with an i5-3320M, 8gb ram, and NVS5200M. Simply put every setting on the lowest, and I get 60FPS in-cockpit in version 1.5. Spending money on Track IR is probably better than spending on PC hardware. Or better yet, use opentrack/freetrack, and make a DIY low-cost head tracking assembly. DCS 2.5 fries my laptop though. You are gonna need at least 16gb RAM for 2.5.

@LordFerret

If anyone is coming here for information about DCS wondering how good it is?

Simply put, its the best military simulator on the market, bar none, even the free aircraft.

Although you want to choose one of the premium modules for the full benefit. Choose carefully, there are definitely "easier" and "advanced" options!

22 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

@p1t1o

I'm not doubting it. I like what I've seen so far, a lot. However, I'm not inclined to run with v1.5 ... I would much rather buy into v2.5, but I'm not hardware ready for that just yet.

LOL I am certainly familiar with that particular paradox.

5 hours ago, Sixshot said:

Enfield 1-1 Request Bogey Dope.

Enfield 1-1, Magic, Bogey dope, BRA 152 fo---COLT 1-4, BATUMI, CLEARED TO TAXI. DODGE 4-4, KUTAISI, HOLD POSITON.

DCS Is the best isn't it?

Yup!

21 hours ago, Sixshot said:

Enfield 1-1 Request Bogey Dope.

Enfield 1-1, Magic, Bogey dope, BRA 152 fo---COLT 1-4, BATUMI, CLEARED TO TAXI. DODGE 4-4, KUTAISI, HOLD POSITON.

DCS Is the best isn't it?

2, mudspike 4 o' clock. 

2, spike 1 o'clock. 

2, engaging bandit.

2, rejoin. 

2, EJECTING!

LEFT ENGINE FIRE!

RIGHT ENGINE FIRE!

RADAR FAILURE!

ECM FAILURE!

MLWS FAILURE!

Totally the best. It and Falcon BMS are the only military simulators. The others are just games.

7 hours ago, dundun92 said:

2, mudspike 4 o' clock. 

2, spike 1 o'clock. 

2, engaging bandit.

2, rejoin. 

2, EJECTING!

LEFT ENGINE FIRE!

RIGHT ENGINE FIRE!

RADAR FAILURE!

ECM FAILURE!

MLWS FAILURE!

Totally the best. It and Falcon BMS are the only military simulators. The others are just games.

HYDRAULIC FAILURE!

20 hours ago, NSEP said:

I wanted to download it again, but the 41GB disk space tag made me retreat.

I will stick to X-plane for a while :D

Maybe 1.5........

On 4/27/2018 at 1:57 PM, Lo Var Lachland said:

Yeeeah, I can't play it 'cause I use a Mac. 

Even if i wanted to get a PC from my own bank, my parents would never allow a PC in their house XD

Three more years, three more years.

:P

I was flyin' out of KUTAISI doing dark grey WIC support I was out there by my lonesome cause my buddy was a mort, And i saw that Big Fat Bear in a turn off to my right, he was either lost or he was lookin' for a fight!

HAV26BM.png

So I put him in my HUD, and i almost flipped the switch, but then I thought how could I miss? Cause that's a huge plane

07XtwDE.png

And only a big wuss would use two FOX TWOs, It's time to get medieval I'M GOING IN FOR GUNS!

xUTnqHi.png

Harmonica

YR9DwrE.png

Good on you if you know the song ;)

Edited by Sixshot

16 minutes ago, Sixshot said:

I was flyin' out of KUTAISI doing dark grey WIC support I was out there by my lonesome cause my buddy was a mort, And i saw that Big Fat Bear in a turn off to my right, he was either lost or he was lookin' for a fight!

HAV26BM.png

So I put him in my HUD, and i almost flipped the switch, but then I thought how could I miss? Cause that's a huge plane

07XtwDE.png

And only a big wuss would use two FOX TWOs, It's time to get medieval I'M GOING IN FOR GUNS!

xUTnqHi.png

Harmonica

YR9DwrE.png

Good on you if you know the song ;)

DCS is so nice!

5 hours ago, JollyGreenGI said:

I haven't played with it enough to get a full experience, I only did the Su-25 tutorials.

I used to take the Su-25T tutorials. But now that I have FC3, I use the Su-33 now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.