Cold/Freezing damage to parts?

technoDaleks

I did do a search and didn't find what I was looking for, so I'm asking as a general here.

Are there any mods that do cold/freezing damage? I know there are alot dealing with heat dissipation and damage, but are there any mimic damage done to parts or causing parts inoperability due to cold or freezing if, say, electric charge is depleted?  

4 hours ago, snkiz said:

if you run out of power you tend to be pretty screwed anyway. you saying you want permadeath if you run out of power?

But that can be temporary.  A common situation is a solar-powered station in low Kerbin orbit - the shadow time is long, so you run out of power easily, but you'll get power back when you get out of Kerbin's shadow.

And it sounds like he's talking about parts, not Kerbals.  (At least directly.  Some LS mods already handle EC load.)  So if you run out of power, some parts on your station may not come back online.  Which may be nothing - or a major issue.

Sounds like an interesting idea, though I don't know any mods that handle it.  You would have issues with the fact that KSP's heat model isn't all that good, really.

16 hours ago, snkiz said:

I usually only lose power when my solar panels are pointing in the wrong direction. Its pretty permanent. 

That's usually both easily avoidable, and easily fixable - if you're in orbit, just leave the scene and wait.  Come back after some time and the ship will be in a new orientation (well, I believe it's the same orientation in absolute terms, but with enough other motion it'll effectively be a new orientation), and hopefully you'll have a solar panel in the right direction.  But a pair of extendable solar panels or a trio of static will typically always have at least some view of the sun, unless you've placed them in a position where they get shadowed by some large part.  (Nearly all extendable panels rotate as well in KSP - if you're not using rotating panels, you'll have to work harder, but I typically only need to be using them very early on.)

On the surface typically I only have issues near the poles - you either need a solar panel in a vertical orientation or to have some other source of EC.

My worst case so far has been a base that was nuclear powered, and the generator shut down - and I didn't have any pilots or probes on the base, so I didn't have a way to bring it back online.  I had to ship in another Kerbal from Kerbin just to be able to pull up the menu.

Anyway, we're getting way off-topic here.  ;)

9 hours ago, DStaal said:
On 4/24/2018 at 5:17 PM, snkiz said:

I usually only lose power when my solar panels are pointing in the wrong direction. Its pretty permanent. 

That's usually both easily avoidable, and easily fixable - if you're in orbit, just leave the scene and wait.  Come back after some time and the ship will be in a new orientation

the only drift I see is in relation to the planet your orbiting. point your engines at the kerbol and put some flat panels on top of your ship. They will never see light.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.